closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: bank - not sending a payment!

Master

bank - not sending a payment!

I'm currently trying to pay for a watch from a forum member and am currently banging my head off a wall.

So, I sent a small payment to the seller, who is a long standing member. All his details match, test payment goes through no problem.

So, I then tried selling the full payment over which is just over £2.5k. got a load of questions as to what it was for, who is the recipient, what am I buying etc etc. do I accept the risk, yes. So I suited the payment and it shows as moving the funds out of my account and pending review.

It stayed like this for hours. I contacted the bank via chat and they just said they needed to complete some further checks...... Another few hours and I'm no further forward. Unfortunately I've been in loads of meetings at our HQ and it's not been the ideal situation to resolve what appears to be a simple request.

Anyway, I've cancelled the payment with a view to speaking to them tomorrow. Anyone else had this before and it take a full day of no movement in the status.

I've bought cars before and not had this painful an experience. The only difference before is that I've given them a heads up.

Any hints or tips? I do appreciate they are trying to protect people from fraud but seems extreme!

Cheers

Paul

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    It happens a lot nowadays,ive been on the phone told them I want money sent, know the person its going to and they still refused.

The amount of questions just wears you down.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why cancel the payment? Just ring the bank and push it through…

Which bank?

Multiple, smaller payments?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Why cancel the payment? Just ring the bank and push it through…

Which bank?
    Starling, sent much larger payments and not had this issue.

Yeah, I changed banks because of this.
    I drove to South Wales to buy a car for £10k. Viewed it, approved it, tried to pay for it.
    The bot wanted to know what I was buying; large purchase such as a car? Yes.
    Are you aware that it may be a scam? Yes.
    Please phone our security dept. to discuss this further.
    So far so good; happy to find such scrutiny in a world where scamming is so prevalent. However, if one has to phone the security dept,. the least they can do is pick the phone up. 20 minutes of "your call is important to us"; I had previously waited over 45 minutes waiting for HSBC to answer so I was not optimistic.
    The vendor unbelievably told me to take the car home and sort the payment out when I could get through from home. Not quite as risky as it may sound, as in the incestuous world of Riley cars I am known and am easy to track down.
    What I did was to switch from HSBC to FirstDirect on the advice of the TZ cognoscenti; after which the payment was straightforward to enact. I had been with Midland/HSBC since 1966 and they didn't bat an eyelid when I left them. Mind you. FD is owned by HSBC so they weren't losing anything except the £200 bonus for switching.

It’s happened to me twice, speak the fraud department, they will then tell you if you go ahead it’s down to you if it goes wrong

Master
    Cheers all, will speak to them tomorrow.

Such a pain in the arse

I recently made a test payment of £1 from my current account to my credit card and ended up talking to the bank’s fraud dept for 20 minutes.

I get security checks but I’d previously transferred ££££s and the bank didn’t bat an eyelid.

Paypal friends and family might be easier if you’re going through the mill on this

Master
    Blog Entries
    My mother sent her grand daughter a few hundred quid recently (same surname) and had her online access frozen and had to call up to restore etc and get interrogated about why, what, who to. Very bizarre for the amount and the fact same family surname (not a common one)

I’ve had the same with a £2K part payment for a watch today. Starling Bank, held for checking. It took a 20 minute online chat and then another 4h after that for the payment to be sent. Tried to send at 9.30, finally went at 16.30

They are scam conscious, I understand that. As I said to online contact, I’m just trying to keep to my side of the bargain.

I understand that some of my answers, such as answering “No” to “have you met this person face to face”, probably raised security eyebrows.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there

I’m guessing Santander ?

When I got through to talk to a human they said the small test payment looked suspicious as many scammers take a taste first and best thing to do in future is just do one payment.

Sounded like BS to me but if that’s how they see it possibly the reason.

The biggest frustration as others point out is just getting hold of someone particularly if your with the vendor.

Best of luck I’m sure it will sort.
    Last edited by TKH; 29th November 2023 at 06:11.

Banks do this for the protection of their customers, and also for their own protection. There’s a growing trend for banks that have been party to facilitating fraud by processing payments to scammers to be liable for reimbursing victims.

It is getting a bit painful, I did a £450 payment for a heatpump install. I must have clicked "yes its not a scam" or similar warnings about 5 times before they actually did the payment.

Craftsman
    I bank with TSB.
    Had similar about 6 times now.

Top tip.
    If you speak to the fraud team. Have your passwords etc. written on a piece of paper.
    With using internet banking and face recognition. I had nearly forgotten my user name/password/memorable what ever.

If you dither or don’t know your personal details, you will probably have your account frozen. Then it’s a trip to your bank to get your account reinstated.

Master
    Yep, had this once and the customer service team in HSBC were oblivious to the payment being selected for checking but another team. Bit of 'telephonecular' perseverance sorted it a day later and I kept the recipient informed as to progress along the way.

Yes it's frustrating but I can understand the Banks' need to minimise fraud, especially given the stories you read about fraud and in particular the ones involving 'distance relationships' .

Grand Master
    The biggest problem I`ve had when dealing with banks recently is getting the buggers to answer the phone! The 25 minute wait accompanied by all the 'your call is important' crap is unacceptable, they need to employ more people but they won't do that. I still have a local branch10 minute drive, so I can always call in if I need to, if I lived a long way from a branch I wouldn't be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The biggest problem I`ve had when dealing with banks recently is getting the buggers to answer the phone! The 25 minute wait accompanied by all the 'your call is important' crap is unacceptable, they need to employ more people but they won't do that. I still have a local branch10 minute drive, so I can always call in if I need to, if I lived a long way from a branch I wouldn't be happy.
    Barclays announced that they are about to get rid of a load of people this morning, they only made 1.8 billion profit, it really annoys me then they come out with the joke line, people’s banking habits are changing, never the banks are forcing this rubbish service on us.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It’s happened to me twice, speak the fraud department, they will then tell you if you go ahead it’s down to you if it goes wrong
    Exactly this. You will have to ring them and accept responsibility if it goes tits up. Happened to me twice.

Strange that this is here as I am having a problem with setting up a standing order at the moment.

If I'm arranging a large-ish payment or withdrawing e.g., several '£daily limit cash sums' (over several consecutive days), I usually advise my bank beforehand (via its online facility) and end my message with, " ... and should be paid without referral". And sometimes I receive an acknowledgement and 'thank you' from my bank. I recently bought a car and the seller wanted cash - so I advised my bank of the number of withdrawals on consecutive days. My bank did not query those withdrawals.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Looks like it's now sorted! What a pain, albeit I do appreciate they are ensuring that customers aren't ripped off!

Cheers everyone

Paul

Glad to see you got sorted Paul .

I had a large payment block after driving from Lancaster down to London to collect a watch, Friday last week. I had to wait for my bank phone lines to open Saturday morning to the. answer a bunch of questions before the funds could be released. Thankfully I’d booked to stay overnight and the seller (a solid forum member) was very understanding.

I’d done a smaller (£500) test transfer and then also given my bank advanced notice of the impending transaction too.

I guess we need to remember that such interventions and the barrage of questions that need answering are to all help protect us, even though it doesn’t feel like it at the time.

Just to be totally open, I bank with Smile who are part of the Co-Op

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikincooper View Post
    Glad to see you got sorted Paul .

I had a large payment block after driving from Lancaster down to London to collect a watch, Friday last week. I had to wait for my bank phone lines to open Saturday morning to the. answer a bunch of questions before the funds could be released. Thankfully I’d booked to stay overnight and the seller (a solid forum member) was very understanding.

I’d done a smaller (£500) test transfer and then also given my bank advanced notice of the impending transaction too.

I guess we need to remember that such interventions and the barrage of questions that need answering are to all help protect us, even though it doesn’t feel like it at the time.

Just to be totally open, I bank with Smile who are part of the Co-Op

Small world, I travel up to my parents in Morecambe most weekends. I'm a born and bred Lancaster lad!!

Our head office is in Liverpool so I combine the trip in order to spend some quality time with my Dad, he's got vascular dementia...... Scary how quick it gets a hold.

Anyway, if you are ever up for a pint let me know. We can have a rant about the joys of money transfers and all things watches.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Small world, I travel up to my parents in Morecambe most weekends. I'm a born and bred Lancaster lad!!

Our head office is in Liverpool so I combine the trip in order to spend some quality time with my Dad, he's got vascular dementia...... Scary how quick it gets a hold.

Anyway, if you are ever up for a pint let me know. We can have a rant about the joys of money transfers and all things watches.

Small world indeed. I’ve shared my contact details with you via PM, as a pint and watch talk is always fun .

Sorry to hear of your fathers declining health too.

Master
    If in doubt that payment will go through easily I just go to the branch, completed painlessly, last time I was getting cash out the young lady asked me what I wanted the cash for, “coke and hookers” I replied, the cashier inthe next desk just laughed and told her to give me my money.
    Btw, I’ve seen payments sitting hours awaiting despatch, fine if it’s not a time dependant transaction but otherwise a pain.

^^^Which is fine if you have an accessible branch. All those near me closed save the main one in the city centre, where I dare not venture due to too many pubs and watch dealers.