closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would/Should this be under warranty?

Would/Should this be under warranty?

Hey folks

it's going into Mercedes next week for them to look at, so just interested in opinions.

I got a puncture over the weekend and whilst at the tire place yesterday they took the wheel off and I noticed that the tire has been rubbing and melting the inner wheel arch liner. The offside is the same! Seems the undertray had come loose or lost a screw and when driving, the wind pushes the liners onto the tires.

The car was new this year and has only covered 2700 miles so I kinda think this should be under warranty in that things shouldn't start falling off. I have wracked my brains thinking if I had driven over something that may have bashed the under tray but nothing stands out and I am pretty careful and look after my things so it's pretty unlikely but you never know what gets thrown up from the road sometimes.

Anyone seen anything similar or any tactics to persuade MB if need be

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

50/50 to be honest…depends what colour the sky is at the dealer. If they can see no impact etc then you might stand a fighting chance.

Definitely should be covered

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Hoping that would be covered but amazed you wouldn’t have heard it.

I’ve had it on a Z4C on 19” aftermarket wheels of correct offsets and under the right conditions it was a very obvious sound.

Assume the Merc had much greater sound deadening. That’s a lot of wear in so few miles.

As someone else commented - tricky one.
    Hopefully, they'd fix it out of goodwill if nothing else.

That is an odd one if it's never been in for any work - it does happen if a lazy tech can't be bothered putting all undertrays back on properly the often flimsy fasteners can be a PITA hence you see cars on Motorway with them hanging down

You have been lucky they didn't detach and rip around the inner arch

However is there a possibility someone has tried to nick your Cat converter ? that's my only guess as for undertrays not being fully secure

fingers crossed they cover it under warranty / goodwill.

Master
    It depends how the warranty guys feeling on the day whether he wants to push it forward and fight your corner.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks chaps. I'll report back on Monday what they say.......

Master
    Blog Entries
    Unless you hit something then they are responsible,it wont be the first time something lose has been missed on a PDI.

Like my tyres being at 4 to 6 psi even when I took my car back they didnt check properly.

Master
    I'd expect that to be sorted but expect there to be a bit of back and forth and to ultimate say it is being done from goodwill not under warranty.

The dealer will look to blame the manufacturer and the manufacturer will say it is down to the dealer to decide, been through this a few times on other things and just stick to you guns that a car of that age should not have bits that fall off and cause problems like that, you brought it to their attention as soon as you became aware (they might try to go down the route of you should have known long before the damage got to this stage)

Also expect them to try to suggest that shards of tyre caused that so be armed with the fact that it was a puncture not a blowout

Good luck!

Master
    Have you got the old tyre? If not call the tyre shop and see if they can lay there hands on it, useful in times of complaint.

Used to work for a lease company who would send people out to examine the old tyres occasionally when things were challenged.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

The puncture was repaired as it was a screw right in the centre.

Besides, I have the same issue on the offside too and that wheel has never been off......

2700 miles, what is it, couple of months old. Obviously wasn't right from the start and they should sort it!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I would say the screw in the tyre might have caused that before embedding properly into the tyre - but if it’s the same the other side that’s not the case!

How on earth did you manage to drive it and not notice it?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

No idea. I have a feeling it's only recently happened but I don't recall any loud noises (other than the exhaust ) or grinding and maybe it only happened at speed on the motorway with the wind pressure enough to force the trim onto the tire over a certain mph?

For a new car with such low mileage I would like to think the main dealer will do the right thing for you at their cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    If they market their cars as a premium brand then you should be entitled to a premium service just like Lexus provide

Had 5 mins today so thought I would put the car up on the ramps and have a look as best as I could. As you can see, 3 nice holes where I assume a screw or bolt should have been to hold the undertray on. I don't believe they all fell out and think they weren't put in the first place. No other signs of damage under there so I don't believe I hit anything.

Open and shut case? will report back Monday what they say......Are under trays taken off to perform a PDI?

Quote Originally Posted by neilma View Post
    Had 5 mins today so thought I would put the car up on the ramps and have a look as best as I could. As you can see, 3 nice holes where I assume a screw or bolt should have been to hold the undertray on. I don't believe they all fell out and think they weren't put in the first place. No other signs of damage under there so I don't believe I hit anything.

Open and shut case? will report back Monday what they say......Are under trays taken off to perform a PDI?

No, the trays do not come off as part of a PDI unless they see a fluid leak or find another problem that needs the trays removing. You are lucky if they fit the number plates straight, check the wheel bolts/nuts are correctly torqued up and the tyre pressures are ok these days.

Master
    Some manufacturers PDI’s are done at import centre by barely trained numpties, could have come from factory like that or been careless instal and not tightened correctly and fell out, the action of the dealer may be influenced by your demeanour when you visit Monday, customers who come in calm and pleasant always were better received than shouters. Surprised you didn’t hear it rubbing but you may be like me, generous with the music volume, good luck on Monday.

If it came in to me I would have tried a warranty claim, if that failed looked on site for a similar second hand car and swopped them over, worst case, secure using screws where required and apologise, suggesting a call to customer services at marques hq.

Obvious warranty claim. I can't imagine any company would fight it.

If it's rejected, off to court you go.

Master
    Hope they are more generous than Volvo I have corrosion on a 2 year old wheel and because there was a mark they had to use a magnifying glass to see they wouldn’t touch it and that would only probably cost about £50 to fix

Just got back from the visit to my local MB dealer. "All done sir - It needs £194 of inner wheel arch covers - Will be done under warranty and we will call you once the bits are in later this week". He then follows up with "How on earth did you manage that???" I then explained it was likely due to the undertray not having any bolts in it?" - "Oh,yeah, probably someone didnt fit them at the factory"

He wasn't the mechanic by the way, it was the service advisor so I am guessing he didn't actually see the damage or cause.

So, all good (I hope) - Should be all completed over the next week or so FOC - which is nice.

Thanks again for the pointers and reassurances :)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by neilma View Post
    Just got back from the visit to my local MB dealer. "All done sir - It needs £194 of inner wheel arch covers - Will be done under warranty and we will call you once the bits are in later this week". He then follows up with "How on earth did you manage that???" I then explained it was likely due to the undertray not having any bolts in it?" - "Oh,yeah, probably someone didnt fit them at the factory"

He wasn't the mechanic by the way, it was the service advisor so I am guessing he didn't actually see the damage or cause.

So, all good (I hope) - Should be all completed over the next week or so FOC - which is nice.

Thanks again for the pointers and reassurances :)

Cheers!
    Good to hear! Glad it’s being resolved without any silly back and forth. Mercedes are known for having some of the best warranties I am led to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Glad you’re getting it sorted and the dealer did the right thing for you.

Glad it’s sorted. I had a similar good experience with their warranty. Wind noise from the drivers side on my c class and they replaced the windows with double glazed ones. That was on a 2 year old car!