closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Soundbars - Black Friday - Watcha Got?

Soundbars - Black Friday - Watcha Got?

Evening all,

Seems like its been a while since there was a soundbar thread so thought it was worth asking what my fellow TZ'ers are using these days to enhance their TV sound.

Just a few hours to go on 'Cyber Monday' and the potential to save some money if I make a purchase!

As usual, just when I think I've decided on say, a 'Sonos Arc' for a reduced price of £699, I then look at reviews of Bose 900's (also reduced), Harmon Kardon Citations (heavily reduced) and various others and I become paralyzed.

If its helps I've got a 65" OLED which sits around 10-12 feet away in a room which is approx. 16ft by 13ft . There would be room for a Sub-woofer at some point if needed.

So what have you got? Are you happy? Are the vocals strong enough without the sound being too loud?

Is it worth the upgrade from say a Sonos Beam to an Sonos Arc if I'm not watching big action movies!

My budget would be the £600-£700 but looks like there are some bargains out there.

So many questions!

Cheers

Chris

Master
    get the arc and overtime add a couple of ones for rear channels and a sub later if you feel you need it.

I am in the same the same boat as you! I would like to get a good deal on a new bar and have been reading reviews on the Bose 900, Sennhouser Ambeo (the mid size plus) or the Sony 7000. Rabbit in the headlights ATM so will be watching your replies!

I strongly suspect they all do a very similar job and I’d happy with any of them but when it’s a big purchase it’s hard not to try and perfect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have a Sonos Beam gen 2 and added two One SL as surrounds then added a Sub Mini…slippery slope with Sonos

Love the sound for TV and streaming movies, don’t use it for music but presume that would be ok also.

EDIT: ***IGNORE***
    Sorry, I’ve just seen they’ve stopped making soundbars. Ignore me.

Q acoustics. It is brilliant, even at not far off 10 years old. So simple and looks great too. The newer ones are likely to be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

We’ve had a Bose 900 for about six months.

Since it’s purchased I’ve added a pair of rear speakers and the module 700 sub.

It’s a great bit of kit and packs a really punch when you want it to. You can adjust the height of the centre channel which works well with pulling vocals up.

Now this is only a slight negative.

Every now and then the separation in the mid range crosses over with the low tone and you get the two blend together. On the back of that you can’t fine tune it out through the app and there is no manual adjustment. I had read about this in the reviews and concluded that as I’m not a purist I wouldn’t notice but you do. I must stress it is only every now and then and it doesn’t spoil the overall experience. But you do occasionally think why is it doing that. If you don’t add the sub you won’t get this problem. If you do the module 500 may offer a better balance in this area but I’ve not heard it so can’t comment.

My old system was a canton dm75 and a rel sub which you could fine tune.

The Bose system is a digital set up. Ours is connected through the digital cable to a 55” OLED TV in a room 15ft by 10ft. The sound bar sits on a solid wood cabinet with the sub on the floor behind it.

Last edited by Andyp1973; 27th November 2023 at 21:00.

Journeyman
    Literally ordered a Sonos Beam Gen 2 a couple of hours ago from ao.com for £379.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’ve got a Sonos PlayBase I purchased just over five years ago and I am still very impressed with it as it has a small sub built in adding plenty of base.
    For rear sound as well as music playing, I have a pair of Sonos Ones, which punch well above their weight when paired.
    I’m very tempted by the pair of Sonos Fives on SC but it may not be as easy convincing my better half why we need them!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    We’ve had a Bose 900 for about six months.

Since it’s purchased I’ve added a pair of rear speakers and the module 700 sub.

It’s a great bit of kit and packs a really punch when you want it to. You can adjust the height of the centre channel which works well with pulling vocals up.

Now this is only a slight negative.

Every now and then the separation in the mid range crosses over with the low tone and you get the two blend together. On the back of that you can’t fine tune it out through the app and there is no manual adjustment. I had read about this in the reviews and concluded that as I’m not a purist I wouldn’t notice but you do. I must stress it is only every now and then and it doesn’t spoil the overall experience. But you do occasionally think why is it doing that. If you don’t add the sub you won’t get this problem. If you do the module 500 may offer a better balance in this area but I’ve not heard it so can’t comment.

My old system was a canton dm75 and a rel sub which you could fine tune.

The Bose system is a digital set up. Ours is connected through the digital cable to a 55” OLED TV in a room 15ft by 10ft. The sound bar sits on a solid wood cabinet with the sub on the floor behind it.

Thanks for that intel on the centre channel.

I am drawn to the Bose 900 as really like the headphones and the connectivity and the App.

And reading some reviews people (users) have commented on the sound quality versus the Sonos.

But then I’m sure if I looked again they’d all say the Sonos Arc was easier to use and a better all rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Thanks for that intel on the centre channel.

I am drawn to the Bose 900 as really like the headphones and the connectivity and the App.

And reading some reviews people (users) have commented on the sound quality versus the Sonos.

But then I’m sure if I looked again they’d all say the Sonos Arc was easier to use and a better all rounder.

There’s also a function in the app that you can use to focus on vocals.

That’s another good option and especially as I’ve seen a number of comments on soundbar reviews which suggest it needs to be really loud to hear the vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    There’s also a function in the app that you can use to focus on vocals.

That’s another good option and especially as I’ve seen a number of comments on soundbar reviews which suggest it needs to be really loud to hear the vocals.

Read some very negative comments about that particular function. Apparently it’s to the detriment of the non-vocal audio.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    I have a Sonos Beam gen 2 and added two One SL as surrounds then added a Sub Mini…slippery slope with Sonos

Love the sound for TV and streaming movies, don’t use it for music but presume that would be ok also.
    Snap , had a beam gen1 and two sonos 1’s ( a 1 and a 1 Sl) , then upgraded to beam gen 2 . Didn’t really notice the difference despite it being Atmos enabled. Then at the weekend plumped for a Sonos mini sub. The sub really has added depth to the system , however I feel the best upgrade was the two 1’s as rears. The sound field expanded significantly and we get a more realistic surround sound.

I guess you are aware a beam and an arc use phase timing to make sound feel like its behind you. By adding dedicated rears the beam just sends the sound to the rears and concentrates on mid and left right.

In addition the beam gen2 has a speak enhancement that raises the treble frequencies. Peter Pee on youtube is a good source of very technical reviews on Sonos gear.

So back to the OP.’s question , its not clear if you have a beam already. If you do then Sonos 1’s are £134 each at present ( about £40 off). These will really enhance the beam.

Conversely if you have nothing a new beam gen 2 and a pair of ones will come in under your budget.
    Last edited by higham5; 27th November 2023 at 23:14.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    If you do then Sonos 1’s are £134 each at present ( about £40 off). These will really enhance the beam.
    FYI, the IKEA version (the Symfonisk) are a little cheaper at £115 a piece:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/symfoni...en-2-60506577/

I’ve got 2 of these connected to an arc and, tbf, I have never found the need to add a sub. (The fact that our TV is directly beneath my daughter’s bedroom might also have something to do with it). ☺️

Snap , had a beam gen1 and two sonos 1’s ( a 1 and a 1 Sl) , then upgraded to beam gen 2 . Didn’t really notice the difference despite it being Atmos enabled. Then at the weekend plumped for a Sonos mini sub. The sub really has added depth to the system , however I feel the best upgrade was the two 1’s as rears. The sound field expanded significantly and we get a more realistic surround sound.

I guess you are aware a beam and an arc use phase timing to make sound feel like its behind you. By adding dedicated rears the beam just sends the sound to the rears and concentrates on mid and left right.

In addition the beam gen2 has a speak enhancement that raises the treble frequencies. Peter Pee on youtube is a good source of very technical reviews on Sonos gear.

So back to the OP.’s question , its not clear if you have a beam already. If you do then Sonos 1’s are £134 each at present ( about £40 off). These will really enhance the beam.

Conversely if you have nothing a new beam gen 2 and a pair of ones will come in under your budget.
    Thanks for that and no I don’t have a Beam.

But that was a key question. Should I spend £700 on a big centre speaker or £700 on a smaller centre speaker plus surrounds?

Not sure I really know the answer but that’s a useful prod in the right direction.

Sonos Beam 2 was the choice. Collect from local Argos tomorrow.

I felt that as good as the Arc and others could be taking baby steps towards a more immersive surround system would offer the most.

So that probably means a couple of One SL’s initially or maybe the new Mini Sub which I didn’t realise existed.

Also watched YouTube reviews of the Beam 2 reviews which spoke particularly about the big improvement in ‘centre channel clarity’.

So I’ve trusted that!

Thanks for various replies.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Read some very negative comments about that particular function. Apparently it’s to the detriment of the non-vocal audio.
    I’ve not noticed any difference in my set up with it turned on.

Master
    Sonos Beam 2 was the choice. Collect from local Argos tomorrow.

I felt that as good as the Arc and others could be taking baby steps towards a more immersive surround system would offer the most.

So that probably means a couple of One SL’s initially or maybe the new Mini Sub which I didn’t realise existed.

Also watched YouTube reviews of the Beam 2 reviews which spoke particularly about the big improvement in ‘centre channel clarity’.

So I’ve trusted that!

Thanks for various replies.

Great choice , put the speaker where you want it ( below the TV)connect to the Arc/ E Arc hdmi port then run Trueplay. Then sit back and hopefully enjoy.

Great choice , put the speaker where you want it ( below the TV)connect to the Arc/ E Arc hdmi port then run Trueplay. Then sit back and hopefully enjoy.
    Off to collect from Argos over lunchtime and will use WFH time wisely this afternoon to watch some classic action move scenes!

Master
    Naim Muso. The daddy.