closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time to kill in London…

Master
    Blog Entries

Time to kill in London…

Dropping the wife at Guys at 9am for a sinus op so have the day to kill time.

I’m not wanting to go watch browsing so I was wondering what are the best suggestions to kill 6 hours.

I was planning on the Design and Science museums, any better options?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

I’m not wanting to go watch browsing so I was wondering what are the best suggestions to kill 6 hours.

If it's anything like the sinus op that I had, I would pack an overnight bag.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    If it's anything like the sinus op that I had, I would pack an overnight bag.
    This is her 3rd one. We are booked into a hotel for 2 nights.

OK; best wishes from me in anticipation of the improvement in her enjoyment of life.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    OK; best wishes from me in anticipation of the improvement in her enjoyment of life.
    Thanks, she’s having it done by the top surgeon in the field at Guys.

Hoping for a big improvement. Don’t know how she’s tolerated the situation.

Welcome to south London, the area of:

• the Imperial War Museum
    • the Old Vic (more of an evening venue)
    • the Horniman Museum
    • the Globe Theatre
    • Borough Market and the Clink
    • the Shard...if you are so inclined
    • Hay's Galleria
    • HMS Belfast
    • the Southbank...IMAX, galleries etc
    • Bankside...inc Tate Modern
    • Gabriel's Wharf

...plenty to keep you amused whatever your particular interest.

Time to kill in London…

Mad to say it given its profile but if you’ve not been into St Paul’s - or even stood and taken it in - it’s wonderful and a nice 15-20 min walk from there. HMS Belfast is interesting if you like that sort of thing. Personally I’d take a stroll across Tower Bridge and do some of the historic things like Tower of London, wander round the Guildhall, some of the City of London’s history is incredible.
    All very mainstream but so many British haven’t done the touristy historic bits of London that are an inherent part of our heritage that I like to recommend them. There’s a lovely Portuguese restaurant just under the railway bridge as you walk away from London Bridge in the direction of Waterloo but I’ve forgotten its name. It’s super there. I’ll get back to you if I remember its name.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Mad to say it given its profile but if you’ve not been into St Paul’s - or even stood and taken it in - it’s wonderful and a nice 15-20 min walk from there.
    A wonderful approach to St. Paul's from the south is over the Millennium Bridge from Tate Modern. It's a stunning view.

The bridge was closed for repair recently but I think it's open again.

Mad to say it given its profile but if you’ve not been into St Paul’s - or even stood and taken it in - it’s wonderful and a nice 15-20 min walk from there. HMS Belfast is interesting if you like that sort of thing. Personally I’d take a stroll across Tower Bridge and do some of the historic things like Tower of London, wander round the Guildhall, some of the City of London’s history is incredible.
    All very mainstream but so many British haven’t done the touristy historic bits of London that are an inherent part of our heritage that I like to recommend them. There’s a lovely Portuguese restaurant just under the railway bridge as you walk away from London Bridge in the direction of Waterloo but I’ve forgotten its name. It’s super there. I’ll get back to you if I remember its name.

I worked for LSEG in Paternoster Square for over four years, and Saint Paul’s was literally outside our front door. In all that time, I never got used to it - well worth a visit, too, although it’s quite a climb.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I worked for LSEG in Paternoster Square for over four years, and Saint Paul’s was literally outside our front door. In all that time, I never got used to it - well worth a visit, too, although it’s quite a climb.
    I worked next door to LSEG in St Martins Court for 10 years I only went in St.Paul’s once I am ashamed to say.

OP if you are heading to the Design Museum, Holland Park (next to it) is a lovely park on a sunny day.

Master
    There’s a lovely Portuguese restaurant just under the railway bridge as you walk away from London Bridge in the direction of Waterloo but I’ve forgotten its name. It’s super there. I’ll get back to you if I remember its name.

If you mean Bar Douro I concur. Excellent.

Master
    For fantastic views over London, check out this little secret https://www.8bishopsgate.com/lookout

Blog Entries
    If you are at Guy’s - drop in here for lunch - the salt-beef sandwich is the best I’ve had.

https://www.royaloaklondon.co.uk/

nice beers too

z

Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    For fantastic views over London, check out this little secret https://www.8bishopsgate.com/lookout
    Skygarden also.

Or just trundle up and down the river.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I worked next door to LSEG in St Martins Court for 10 years I only went in St.Paul’s once I am ashamed to say.

OP if you are heading to the Design Museum, Holland Park (next to it) is a lovely park on a sunny day.
    Surveying practice (sorry OP)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    If you mean Bar Douro I concur. Excellent.
    Yes! That’s the one.

Master
    Have a look at Battersea power station, now an upmarket shopping centre. A number of watch ads too. On the Northern Line

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Have a look at Battersea power station, now an upmarket shopping centre. A number of watch ads too. On the Northern Line
    I recently attended the Tudor event at the pier station and the lift tour up the chimney is brilliant. No idea of the cost, but quite an experience.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips.

I bailed on the sight seeing as the wife called upset that they had told her it’s likely her op would be cancelled.

So I went back to sit with her, it’s 14:20 and she’s just been called having arrived at 8:30am …

Seems there was a no show so she’s getting done having spent most of the day thinking it’s being cancelled.

Just messaged me saying it’s still not certain and she’s all gowned up ready.

Fingers crossed here …

Master
    A familiar story unfortunately…

The clock and watch museum is now part of the Science museum (4th floor IIRC). I spent an afternoon there once and still felt a little rushed.

There’s lots of interesting watches and clocks there including a Harrison Chronometer and a Patek Natilus with a Daniels co-axial movement in it because PP said it couldn’t be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The clock and watch museum is now part of the Science museum (4th floor IIRC). I spent an afternoon there once and still felt a little rushed.

There’s lots of interesting watches and clocks there including a Harrison Chronometer and a Patek Natilus with a Daniels co-axial movement in it because PP said it couldn’t be done.
    At Guildhall https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thin...nd-clockmakers

Master
    Browns in Shoreditch to pass an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    The watch and clock collection was moved to the science museum a few years ago, the library wasn’t though. I don’t think it has been moved back but I could be wrong.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    A familiar story unfortunately…
    Finally have her back at the hotel. Hospital was sadly a shambles.

Walked up to St. Paul’s during the op but they stop letting people in at 4pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Browns in Shoreditch to pass an hour.
    Is the Griffin still open?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Is the Griffin still open?
    Read my mind !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Read my mind !
    I bet they have moved with the times and take card now instead of the pound in the pint jar…

Sorry to hear this OP. Sounds horrendous and we've had many similar experiences.

The best thing to concentrate on now is helping your wife stay comfortable and recover.

There aren't many places to go in London that aren't mobbed, but if she's mobile then this little church garden at the back of Lower Thames St is worth a visit for pause and reflection:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...OXQx?entry=ttu

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thin...-church-garden

Good luck

Master
    Blog Entries

Sad to hear about the hospital,I trust your wife will feel better soon.

Nowadays you may get brilliant treatment as I did last week or horrendous treatment as I did the week before that.

You can not automatically trust in the system nowadays,my surgery left me without potentially life saving medicine, reception wouldnt even let me see a doctor.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Sad to hear about the hospital,I trust your wife will feel better soon.

Nowadays you may get brilliant treatment as I did last week or horrendous treatment as I did the week before that.

You can not automatically trust in the system nowadays,my surgery left me without potentially life saving medicine, reception wouldnt even let me see a doctor.
    Back home now and on the road to recovery.

NHS is broken, and that’s not just based on this experience.

What was really sad was the attitude of the recovery nurses, I suspect they are heavily jaded from working is such a difficult environment.

the v&a by a country mile - the dundee effort is a 'sack o shite' (pale imitation) by comparison as the locals may or may not say but the original is always good for surprising inspiration. one of the few reasons i ever return to london these days ...

'

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I think they bought the Harrison at auction for Ł6.2m from a pair of brothers living in Peckham…