closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cartier complimentary loan watch/ little rant

Craftsman

Cartier complimentary loan watch/ little rant

Has anyone else had a loan watch offered to them from cartier or other brands?

The reason being, I sent my santos carree for a service with cartier back on 18th September and with it being 30 years old, the serial number on the caseback was faint, but legible under lighting when sent.

After getting the watch back I noticed the watch and caseback had been refinished and brushed accordingly which I did agree to the complimentary refinish but it now meant as a result, they removed the serial number completely by performing the refinish on the caseback.

After a call with cartier, they said it would take 2 to 4 weeks to engrave. Happy with that I gave the go ahead. 4 weeks yesterday I got a call and was told it was a miscommunication and now will take 22 weeks to complete the SN re-engraving but will offer a complimentary loan santos of the current range to wear In the meantime

I'm thinking nearly half a year to re-engrave a number onto a caseback? That's a bit excessive right!
    In my mind, it's simply done via a computer and laser engraving machine which should take not long at all.

Anyway... agreeing to wait 22 weeks now (already been 4) figured if I ever want to sell in the future, the new buyer may wonder why the SN had been removed and cartier said they were happy to do it for me.

A little frustrated why the person didn't see that performing this caseback refinish could completely remove the number and refrained doing it In the first place.

Has anyone else had other examples of loan watches from the brand?
    I'd be afraid of scratching, dinging the loan piece

Ta

Craftsman
    Many, many moons ago I dropped my GMT Master-II off at Rolex at St James Square they gave me a Tudor loaner (a Prince of some flavour, if my hazy memory serves).

It wasn’t a pristine watch by any stretch so I wasn’t overly worried about it. If they’re offering a loaner, provided you’re not abusing it, then I wouldn’t worry.

Quite a nice touch, turnaround was a few weeks and the whole lot cost ~£250. Those were the days.

Regarding the serial number removal, annoying I agree, the watchmakers should have known better - I assume you didn't provide clear instruction requesting that this not be removed? I agree that the 6-month timescale seems excessive, but it is what it is (and good that Cartier are rectifying FOC). On the loan watch, that's a positive, something I'd be accepting - just don't go cliff jumping, rock climbing, etc. with it.

I’m sure the terms and conditions of the loaner watch will be made clear, I wouldn’t bother if I were you, it’s not like we don’t have other watches to wear..
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    22 weeks, to engrave a serial number? What are they, BT helpline in their spare time or something?

That's appalling service to correct a mistake they made.

With the power of Internet reviews, one would expect bodges to be sorted double time.

Grand Master
    Whoever did the refinishing didn’t think this through, correct decision should’ve been a very light refinish to retain the original serial number, even if it was quite faint. At the very least it ought to have been discussed with the owner. I’ve been i. this situation and that’s how I’ve handled it, customer can’t have it both wYs, but my advice is to always keep the iriginal markings and forsake refinishing in areas that don’t show whilst the watch is being worn.

Can’t see why the serial number can’t be re- applied in a couple if weeks, someone at Cartier needs to do some joined up thinking.

I think it’s great offer by Cartier. I’d happily take them up on it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Regarding the serial number removal, annoying I agree, the watchmakers should have known better - I assume you didn't provide clear instruction requesting that this not be removed? I agree that the 6-month timescale seems excessive, but it is what it is (and good that Cartier are rectifying FOC). On the loan watch, that's a positive, something I'd be accepting - just don't go cliff jumping, rock climbing, etc. with it.
    Thanks for the replies, no I didn't give clear instruction, to be honest I didn't think it was necessary. Assuming they would notice and leave out the brushing on the caseback or that it would still be visible.

The cartier did say it was optional and a complimentary refinish which I agreed, and yes, my expectations were high of the the brand but if they'd have told me it would remove the SN or do a poor job, obviously I would not have agreed.

At first I actually think cartier don't want to do it or cannot do it for whatever reason but don't want to admit they cannot so almost waiting me out by making the timescale so excessive to conduct a simple task. Right now I'm just not sure... I know they are busy and it's not just my santos in there but yeah, can't help feel it's a hell of a long time to wait

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Whoever did the refinishing didn’t think this through, correct decision should’ve been a very light refinish to retain the original serial number, even if it was quite faint. At the very least it ought to have been discussed with the owner. I’ve been i. this situation and that’s how I’ve handled it, customer can’t have it both wYs, but my advice is to always keep the iriginal markings and forsake refinishing in areas that don’t show whilst the watch is being worn.

Can’t see why the serial number can’t be re- applied in a couple if weeks, someone at Cartier needs to do some joined up thinking.

Cheers mate, yeah I agree, can't be had both ways, there does need to be a compromise and yes you're right, keep the last of the markings and forsake refinish, especially a part nobody sees.

I will see what they say on Monday, maybe I can get a better estimate on timescale though I'm not in contact directly with the watchmakers, only an ambassador who's just on the cartier service hotline albeit most are very friendly and professional, they are limited for answering questions

Ta

Master
    Yes. I had a loan fifty fathoms from Blancpain earlier this year as they messed me around with a service on mine.

Was great to have another watch to try out for 6 months and wore it care free of scratches.

Only thing the agreement said was that if it needed a service afterward due to it taking a knock, then I would need to pay

Sloppy service indeed.

If it were me I'd be taking the loaner as collateral, but not wearing it.

Master
    If it’s a cock up then only right for them to offer a loan watch- I know it’s a pain but at least they are sort of being pro-active offering something, 22 weeks is ridiculous though I’m sure if the right person is notified it’d get sorted in a much more reasonable timescale.

I had an issue with Panerai Bond Street a couple of years ago, loan watch was given and the issue was sorted in the half the time they quoted.

Master
    Blog Entries
    22 weeks … they don’t want to do it.

On that basis I’d take the loan watch and wait them out.

Careful they don’t get picky when you return it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    22 weeks … they don’t want to do it.

On that basis I’d take the loan watch and wait them out.

Careful they don’t get picky when you return it.
    Its currently in Switzerland now, so they are considering it I hope, but the thing is I prefer my gold/ steel 1980 santos carree over their new model wssa0029 loan watch.
    I did ask if they can do like for like and provide a loan two tone santos as it matches my other items/style... whilst I do appreciate their engineering and style of the loan, just not the size (even in medium)

I know, I will have to ask for something clearer on the loan as I'd hate to have to pay for a service if its knocked as someone previously mentioned.
    I thought if they are happy to loan out a watch while waiting, then it's almost expendable and such things would just be part of wear and tear

The loan watch probably belongs to another customer who’s been told it’s a 23 week wait!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The loan watch probably belongs to another customer who’s been told it’s a 23 week wait!
    LOL

Master
    Blog Entries
    No way in this world would anyone expect to have the serial number removed from a watch when in the hands of experts.

Making you wait that long is adding insult to injury.

I would only take the loan watch if it was something I would like to try and its not got a lot of worrys attached to it when handing it back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    No way in this world would anyone expect to have the serial number removed from a watch when in the hands of experts.

Making you wait that long is adding insult to injury.

I would only take the loan watch if it was something I would like to try and its not got a lot of worrys attached to it when handing it back.
    I think the refinisher was in auto pilot mode and just went for it.
    I mean it was visible under the right light before they had it in for service so I was ok with that ,but yeah it should have been left out on the caseback.

Craftsman
    22 weeks , are they sub contracting it to the NHS ?

I personally wouldn't take a loan watch, too much risk , what if it gets damaged, stolen or lost

Last loaner I recall reading about was a WG Sub several years ago, but that had a bit of a different end to that story!

Good luck in getting yours back sooner hopefully - it does seem like a very long time for something so small?

Quote Originally Posted by AshUK View Post
    Last loaner I recall reading about was a WG Sub several years ago, but that had a bit of a different end to that story!

Good luck in getting yours back sooner hopefully - it does seem like a very long time for something so small?
    But that one had a ‘damaged’ bezel pip

Master
    I’ve learned never to ‘assume’ it makes an ‘ ass out of u and me’, polisher could have been handed to a junior apprentice who didn’t know better? no one becomes an experienced repairer overnight.