closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Not the usual Rolex rant….

Not the usual Rolex rant….

I’m certainly not one for babying my watches and perhaps a few of you might even recall when I accidentally hit my ‘Smurf’ with a club hammer!!

So anyway, these days it tends to be my WG Sub for work and my YG Sub for weekends and a. Outlet of Saturdays ago I was walking along my local High Street when I took a tumble (stone cold sober I promise!!) and I’ve ended up hitting the deck, luckily I managed to get my hands out and the only injury suffered was a minor acratch to my wrist and a couple of scuffs to the (two year old) watch.

“No problem” thinks I, I’ll just run it down to West Malling and they’ll give it a buff.

DID THEY @@@@!!

They’d only run the bracelet under their polishing machine for a minute or two as part of a “full bracelet refurb” which comes with a FULL SERVICE which the watch doesn’t need and is only two years old.

I did politely inform the young lady on service-reception that I’ve been to West Malling maybe twenty times over the years and that I own maybe twenty Rolex watches…. One of which being my birth year Sub’ which even Rolex commented was one of the finest they’d seen and this was the first time I’d been disappointed.

She dis ask if she could take my name but I declined simply because I don’t want to go on any kind of ‘dick list’ but I will be mentioning this to the UK Director of Sales next time I’m sitting next to him at a GS event.

I wouldn’t have minded if they’d charged for the polish but insisting on a full service too?

One of my watch-mates called it “The Unofficial Rolex Tax” and I’m inclined to agree.

I’m well aware that Rolex have (had?) become the very definition of Veblen goods but I wasn’t aware their customer service had become so blasé at the same time.

PS if anyone can tell me how to add pics the from Google Photos app I’d hugely appreciate it, thank you!!
    Last edited by spuds; 24th November 2023 at 20:42.

Blog Entries
    Oh dear. Not sure if St James would insist on that. Maybe live with the dink and add some more?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gave up with google photos and uploaded via tapatalk!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Oh dear. Not sure if St James would insist on that. Maybe live with the dink and add some more?
    Thanks Martyn and exactly my plan, they just p!ssed me off trynna charge for a full service!

I marked my PAM390 quite badly the first time I tried to change a strap and when I was in the Panerai boutique on Bond Street buying another strap they took the watch and polished the scratch out (free of any charge and without me even asking) while I was chatting with the sales guy!

Ouch! Those aren't scuffs, they're gouges and will take a bit more than a polish to sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Ouch! Those aren't scuffs, they're gouges and will take a bit more than a polish to sort out.
    I only asked her to polish off the rough bits mate, I wasn’t expecting the bracelet to be as new, it’s scratched to wotsit anyway and she barely even looked at it!!

I’ve since run a cape cod over it myself and they took the ‘fine burrs’ (?) off and it doesn’t scratch or catch in any way now, I still think they should’ve at least given it a quick once over to be honest.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You must be under misapprehension that Rolex are in the "watch business"
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Check out “the watch polisher” on Instagram, he’d be able to get that back to new.

There is a company called the watch polisher who can do laser welding to fill scuffs like that and their work is perfection! A scuff like that won’t just polish out unfortunately - well it would but so would a lot of your watch bracelet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    Check out “the watch polisher” on Instagram, he’d be able to get that back to new.
    Ah just seen this. Yes these guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt after the service, they would say the bracelet needs to be replaced! They would also keep the original bracelet in part exchange.

Rolex: we don’t polish, we gouge.

Also another chap I sent a watch too Perri watches on Instagram he is amazing too

Sent from my SM-A245F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it was mine I would use very fine emery paper (gently) on the worst bits,then metal polish.

Ive done it before on other items.

Grand Master
    Did you try the approach 'dont you know who I am?'

I find Rolex are always sympathetic to this line.
    RIAC

Is Rolex steel softer than regular steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    No, but gold is softer than steel

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Did you try the approach 'dont you know who I am?'

I find Rolex are always sympathetic to this line.
    Reading the opening post he kinda did, ´´I been coming here for years, own 20 rolex, birth yr Sub referenced etc´´

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No, but gold is softer than steel
    ah thanks that explain s it...the bracelet images look like cheese that mice have nibbled at...

Master
    OP's subs are gold. From reading the post he wears his YG sub at weekends and had his tumble on Saturday, although I agree the pictures look like steel.
    To answer your question, Rolex use 904L steel against the pretty much industry standard 316L. I don't know if its more wear resistant, but I understand it is more resistant to corrosion. I'm sure someone with much more knowledge will be able to help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    OP's subs are gold. From reading the post he wears his YG sub at weekends and had his tumble on Saturday, although I agree the pictures look like steel.
    To answer your question, Rolex use 904L steel against the pretty much industry standard 316L. I don't know if its more wear resistant, but I understand it is more resistant to corrosion. I'm sure someone with much more knowledge will be able to help with that.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    You must be under misapprehension that Rolex are in the "watch business"
    Not sure that's fair, and I wouldn't have expected Rolex to touch it on the basis presented to them.

Although the fact that a "full bracelet refurb" is only offered with a "full service" of the watch is pretty odd, considering that they are totally separable parts of the watch, with neither one affecting the operation of the other.

Methinks the answer might well have been different if the owner presented the bracelet for refurb whilst not attached to the watch.

I also dread to think what a "full bracelet refurb" costs for a YG bracelet at Rolex. I have every confidence that they would never just smooth off the edges and hand it back, it would have to be a full rebuild using laser welding followed by machining to achieve "as new" results.

A pricey fall...

Grand Master
    The watch has suffered an impact so it makes sense to check it, but insisting it has to be serviced is crazy and illogical. The watch head didn`t strike the ground so the likelihood of it being affected is very low in my opinion. A quick check on a timegrapher would confirm if all's well, whip the back off and check the auto-winding, a quick and easy job.

Unfortunately, without adding metal where the bracelet's been gouged, it won't be possible to refinish it to as-new standard. I don`t know if Rolex have the capability to do this. The alternative is to find someone who has, or simply get it refinished as well as possible and accept it won't be perfect. Years ago I tripped up and fell whilst wearing a steel Datejust, my elbow hit the pavement and ripped my leather jacket, my hand got a deep graze, but fortunately the watch survived unscathed. I tripped up over a wire closure ring from some type of drum, it had been left on the pavement from an adjacent building site and I didn`t see it in the dark..........these things can happen!

I'll never understand the Rolex attitude and the lack of flexibility, absolutely no logic in it whatsoever. I`m glad I disconnected from the brand several years ago, I still like a couple of the watches but I dislike what the brand has turned into and I no longer wish to identify with it.

Master
    Thank you.
    I really need to get out more;
    https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/316...el-in-watches/

You could say 316L is perfectly fine for watches, and Rolex have scored a touchdown with their marketing, softer but shinier.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I'll never understand the Rolex attitude and the lack of flexibility, absolutely no logic in it whatsoever. I`m glad I disconnected from the brand several years ago, I still like a couple of the watches but I dislike what the brand has turned into and I no longer wish to identify with it.
    No need to keep repeating yourself on thread after thread. Rolex aren't the only ones to appear to treat customers with a degree of disdain (think your beloved Omega) so do stop singling them out. It's boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I really need to get out more;
    https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/316...el-in-watches/

You could say 316L is perfectly fine for watches, and Rolex have scored a touchdown with their marketing, softer but shinier.
    Cheers, for confirming...shiny and a marketing fab.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I did politely inform the young lady on service-reception that I’ve been to West Malling maybe twenty times over the years and that I own maybe twenty Rolex watches…. One of which being my birth year Sub’ which even Rolex commented was one of the finest they’d seen and this was the first time I’d been disappointed.
    You made the mistake of thinking they give of monkeys about watch enthusiasts.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    No need to keep repeating yourself on thread after thread. Rolex aren't the only ones to appear to treat customers with a degree of disdain (think your beloved Omega) so do stop singling them out. It's boring.
    Tony, stop being a prat.

Don’t try fitting me into a pigeonhole, my disdain for the modern incarnation of the Omega brand is on parity with my dislike of what Rolex have turned into. My enthusiasm for Omega products is based on what they produced between ca 1950 and 2010, since then they've lost the plot in my opinion.

I’ve enjoyed owning several Rolex offerings ranging from a 1986 bimetal Datejust in mint condition to a late 14060 4 line Sub and a nice 16610.....been there, done that, also had an Explorer, Airking, a couple of steel Datejusts and an OP 36. I still own the 1986 Datejust, it’s probably been worn 30 times in its life and it’s literally like a new watch, probably the best example on the planet. Nice watch, I won’t part with it, but I still detest whathe brand had turned into.

My collection of vintage Omegas is extensive, all in excellent condition and all maintained by my good self. Might sell a few eventually.......but not yet.

That’s my take on Rolex and Omega, if you don’t like it that’s your problem, but don't start trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't post.

Now go and enjoy your Rolex watches, motorbikes, and whatever else turns you on, if you still get a buzz from buying/ wearing/ drooling over Rolex’s current offerings that’s your prerogative, but don’t be surprised if folks like me don’t share your view and air their opinions freely.

Tony, stop being a prat.

Don’t try fitting me into a pigeonhole, my disdain for the modern incarnation of the Omega brand is on parity with my dislike of what Rolex have turned into. My enthusiasm for Omega products is based on what they produced between ca 1950 and 2010, since then they've lost the plot in my opinion.

I’ve enjoyed owning several Rolex offerings ranging from a 1986 bimetal Datejust in mint condition to a late 14060 4 line Sub and a nice 16610.....been there, done that, also had an Explorer, Airking, a couple of steel Datejusts and an OP 36. I still own the 1986 Datejust, it’s probably been worn 30 times in its life and it’s literally like a new watch, probably the best example on the planet. Nice watch, I won’t part with it, but I still detest whathe brand had turned into.

My collection of vintage Omegas is extensive, all in excellent condition and all maintained by my good self. Might sell a few eventually.......but not yet.

That’s my take on Rolex and Omega, if you don’t like it that’s your problem, but don't start trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't post.

Now go and enjoy your Rolex watches, motorbikes, and whatever else turns you on, if you still get a buzz from buying/ wearing/ drooling over Rolex’s current offerings that’s your prerogative, but don’t be surprised if folks like me don’t share your view and air their opinions freely.
    Excellent post!

Thanks again for all the steers Gents, and just to clarify a coupla things….

I did explain to the young lady in reception that I just wanted the ‘burrs’ (?) rubbed off, I wasn’t expecting nor asking for an ‘as new’ finish.

Yes I did tell express my dissatisfaction when Rolex refused to even consider doing as I’d requested and it was only after I’d accepted their position that I further expressed my opinion that their customer-service has declined…. It wasn’t a “don’t you know who I am” type comment but rather evidencing that my opinion was an informed one, rather than one of a first time user.

In my personal opinion if I’m not asking them to guarantee or even comment on the accuracy of the movement they have no reason to insist on looking at it nor servicing it.

Either way I remain disappointed on this occasion and I will mention it to their UK Sales Director when I see him….
    Not that I expect any reconsideration of their position nor preferential service but just so he knows what happens at ground level so to speak.

And I’m wearing the watch as I type this so it can’t have been so bad anyway….
    (My “working week” is Tuesday to Thursday so the Smurf’ll be back on my wrist in the morning!)

Thanks again for the comments Gents….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post

To be honest I’m amazed you even bothered taking it to RSC as there’s no way on Gods Earth they would take that in and do a polish / refinish without it being as part of a service and very much doubt they would laser weld they’d insist on a new clasp / bracelet even
    ( unless you have serious clout & connections regards a bracelet only refurb ) .

Like people have said on here there’s some great guys out there who will sort it for you with the minimum of fuss .

Had to laugh at Kerry’s quote , I tried it once and they sent me back to Yorkshire with a size 9 boot ( only joking ) .

Tony, stop being a prat.

Just more noise. It’s always about you, Paul, isn’t it?

I had a virtually brand new Rolex Deepsea once, I managed to cosh the crystal on a graphite bar and cause a minor scratch
    that really annoyed me. I took it to Rolex St James and asked them to replace the crystal. They said they would only do that as part of a £750 full service, I pointed out the watch was virtually brand new but it made no difference.

Craftsman
    Expensive damage could be a potential candidate for a domestic home insurance claim if your policy covers items out of the house?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Sorry you had the accident but pleased to hear you wear your Rolex instead of hiding them in a safe.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Sorry you had the accident but pleased to hear you wear your Rolex instead of hiding them in a safe.
    So to, is rolex judging by their refurb/service charge tariff, money for old rope/soft metal.

Blog Entries
    So to, is rolex judging by their refurb/service charge tariff, money for old rope/soft metal.
    You don’t like Rolex. We get it. Try to move on.

You don’t like Rolex. We get it. Try to move on.
    Nope now that's not entirely true Ian, there's a couple of models I wouldn't mind having a go at living with, when/ if the price is right.

Also I do very much admire their marketing/ business savvy.

Blog Entries
    Nope now that's not entirely true Ian, there's a couple of models I wouldn't mind having a go at living with, when/ if the price is right.

Also I do very much admire their marketing/ business savvy.
    Fair enough if you could put up with their “money for old rope/soft metal” ;-)
    Myself I wear them 24/7, same as all other brands, and never found it a problem. Enjoy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d never really thought about this, but I guess that an advantage of the bi-metallic bracelets is that in a similar tumble it’s likely to be the harder, steel components that take the hit.

Fair enough if you could put up with their “money for old rope/soft metal” ;-)
    Myself I wear them 24/7, same as all other brands, and never found it a problem. Enjoy.
    You found the perfect watch in all respects yet, there's almost always something the maker could improve...with a rolex I'd have to accept it'll mark, scuff up, possibly more so than the average.
    General observation, I'm finding thinner watches of modest size get a lot fewer whacks as I go about my bizzo...so divers are out., which I've personally no problem with.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Passenger; 28th November 2023 at 09:54.

Blog Entries
    You found the perfect watch in all respects yet, there's almost always something the maker could improve...with a rolex I'd have to accept it'll mark, scuff up, possibly more so than the average.
    General observation, I'm finding thinner watches of modest size get a lot fewer whacks as I go about my bizzo...so divers are out., which I've personally no problem with.

Enjoy.
    True. Want a Monaco but they seem to sit so proud I know I’ll end up whacking it on a door or worse.

True. Want a Monaco but they seem to sit so proud I know I’ll end up whacking it on a door or worse.
    Just so, the poor bezel on my PRS 18. Our nipper likes a wrestle, rough and tumble games, not as if I've ever discouraged him mind you, so the more surface area, volume of my watch, OOPs, my Nivrel Couer de la Sarre that comes straight off.

Grand Master
    Monaco is a watch I really wanted to like, always liked the look of them . I got one in to service and was really disappointed when I tried it on, on my slim square wrists it sat like an ice hockey puck and despite the relatively compact dimensions it looked too big. Ironically they only really work on a large wrist or a flat wrist. One of benefits of fixing watches is getting chance to try stuff on, but I was hugely disappointed with the Monaco.

Slim watches were very much in vogue during the 60s through to the rage in the 90s, The original Omega SMP Bond is no thicker than it needs to be and is slim for a diver, far nicer than some of the later offerings which have got bulkier with each update. Big chunky watches are more likely to get whacked, and they don’t fit under shirt cuffs, but that’s the way designs have progressed.

Unless I'm mistaken a 40mm Monaco has a diagonal measurement 56.6mm. That's no wallflower, aside from the depth.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th November 2023 at 12:15.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken a 40mm Monaco has a diagonal measurement 56.6mm. That's no wallflower, aside from the depth.
    With our getting mine out to measure, I did do a little drawing comparing a 42mm round watch (my previous Speedy & Carrera) to a 39mm square Monaco, apart form the obvious corners section there wasn’t much in the size difference.

The Monaco wears much larger than it size suggests, relative short lug to lug distance & small compact lugs. It does wear chunky mind you, the sapphire playing a part. Also slab sides like the 44mm Luminors.

Not the usual Rolex rant….

Cheap one on SC haha

Master
    Blog Entries
    I agree with that,well said.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with that to,well said.
    Last edited by bwest76; 28th November 2023 at 19:09.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    With our getting mine out to measure, I did do a little drawing comparing a 42mm round watch (my previous Speedy & Carrera) to a 39mm square Monaco, apart form the obvious corners section there wasn’t much in the size difference.

The Monaco wears much larger than it size suggests, relative short lug to lug distance & small compact lugs. It does wear chunky mind you, the sapphire playing a part. Also slab sides like the 44mm Luminors.

Well, there’s a formula to calculate the diagonal of a 40mm square. I think the Monaco just needs a decent sized wrist, which counts the likes of me out despite really liking the watch/range. I’ve wanted one for years, in fact.