closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 325

Thread: Let's hear it for IWC

  1. #151
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North of nowhere
    Posts
    7,601
    My XVI comes back tomorrow.

    Movement overhaul
    New reversers
    Demagnetised
    Regulated
    New rotor bearing
    Case refinish.

    Can't wait! I've missed it.

  2. #152
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North of nowhere
    Posts
    7,601
    Hooray, it's back! Excellent refinish, rotor silent, winding perfectly. I'll see how the time keeping is.

    I've missed this piece so much, my definite favourite.


  3. #153
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Guernsey
    Posts
    149



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #154
    Craftsman TH14TH14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanfisken View Post

    Looks great! Would love to hear your thoughts about the watch when you get a chance.

  5. #155
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Guernsey
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Looks great! Would love to hear your thoughts about the watch when you get a chance.
    Initial thoughts (watch only arrived yesterday) are;

    Super easy to wear, you donít really feel it on the wrist.
    Wears smaller than its 40mm size , feels more like a 38/39mm.
    At just over 10mm thick itís thin compared to most sports watches.
    Finish is excellent, pictures donít do the bracelet or dial justice.
    Strap is very comfortable.



    Price point, probably a little on the high side.
    Although the strap is very comfy the lack of micro adjustment could be an issue for some people to get a perfect fitment.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #156
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South West London
    Posts
    804
    What a stunner! I tried one of these on a few weeks ago and completely fell in love with it. As you say, a bit pricey but, as my grandmother used to say, you only feel the pain once.

    Congratulations!

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanfisken View Post
    Initial thoughts (watch only arrived yesterday) are;

    Super easy to wear, you donít really feel it on the wrist.
    Wears smaller than its 40mm size , feels more like a 38/39mm.
    At just over 10mm thick itís thin compared to most sports watches.
    Finish is excellent, pictures donít do the bracelet or dial justice.
    Strap is very comfortable.



    Price point, probably a little on the high side.
    Although the strap is very comfy the lack of micro adjustment could be an issue for some people to get a perfect fitment.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #157
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Iím so glad I started this thread. I always felt that IWC was a bit of an unsung hero on TZ, worthy of far more attention than it was getting!

  8. #158
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    6,090
    I am a massive stick in the mud about them
    I cannot forgive them for placing the current B-Uhrs in the Mark series (they made both, for both airforces, there was surely room to keep going with the Marks in their original design and also re-release the new B-Uhrs, but they killed one to feed the other).
    I still think it is a massive shame they dropped the internal bezels of the Aquatimers (again, the popularity of internal bezels would indicate room for both in the range).
    Beautifully made watches, I have no doubt, but those are 2 massive errors imho.
    The only one I ever had was the 3741, and it was lovely. I miss it, a little bit.

  9. #159
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Utrecht, Nederland
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanfisken View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sweet! Any more pictures of it?

    Looks like a mashup of the previous Ingenieur, the 3227 and the old jumboo one.

  10. #160
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Heart of the world
    Posts
    113
    Thinking of Big Pilot 43mm.

    Any advice?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #161
    Master Andyp1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    Thinking of Big Pilot 43mm.

    Any advice?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The blue face will be my next purchase. Tried both versions on last weekend.

    The crown is a little bit smaller than the 46mm version so doesnít dig in the back of your hand as much.

    Iíll be going for the version on a strap as the bracelet on my 43mm chrono fits onto the big pilot. This is due to both cases being 14.8mm thick.

    The dial needs to be seen in person to be really appreciated. Lovely open case back as well.






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #162
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    Thinking of Big Pilot 43mm.

    Any advice?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do it.

  13. #163
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Heart of the world
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    The blue face will be my next purchase. Tried both versions on last weekend.

    The crown is a little bit smaller than the 46mm version so doesnít dig in the back of your hand as much.

    Iíll be going for the version on a strap as the bracelet on my 43mm chrono fits onto the big pilot. This is due to both cases being 14.8mm thick.

    The dial needs to be seen in person to be really appreciated. Lovely open case back as well.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also aim for the blue dial on the bracelet. I've only tried the black dial on a brown strap, but I think blue is cooler.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #164
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    1,954
    Brown strap on the blue BP43 suits it well, if you can negotiate that in your deal.

  15. #165
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    Thinking of Big Pilot 43mm.

    Any advice?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Buy one


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #166
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Guernsey
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Sweet! Any more pictures of it?

    Looks like a mashup of the previous Ingenieur, the 3227 and the old jumboo one.
    Here you go







    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #167
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    727
    They make some lovely watches but they are getting up there in price and resale value is very poor

    Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

  18. #168
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Heart of the world
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post

    Buy one


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now that's not fair! You don't give me a chance to retreat


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #169
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    Now that's not fair! You don't give me a chance to retreat


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blue 43, you asked for it! Albeit it looks black



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #170
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Heart of the world
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    Blue 43, you asked for it! Albeit it looks black
    What about the accuracy?

  21. #171
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    1,954
    Mine is +1spd. IWC state that they regulate between 0 to +7spd, slow is not acceptable.

  22. #172
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North of nowhere
    Posts
    7,601
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Iím so glad I started this thread. I always felt that IWC was a bit of an unsung hero on TZ, worthy of far more attention than it was getting!
    Me too matey.

    I love my IWC, it's my favourite of my collection, and all the watches I've ever owned frankly.

    This thread will also help me be penniless for many years to come.

  23. #173
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    What about the accuracy?
    All mine are spot on


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #174
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North of nowhere
    Posts
    7,601
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    What about the accuracy?
    My XVI is +1.5spd after its service. Not bad for a ~18 year old piece.

  25. #175
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    5,859
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexL View Post
    What about the accuracy?
    My Mark XX has averaged +0.3s/d over 380 days.

    It currently seems to be running at about -1.5s/day

  26. #176
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Utrecht, Nederland
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanfisken View Post
    Here you go







    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is sweet indeed. Cheers

  27. #177
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,356
    A great thread I hadn't spotted before - a few from me, the Flieger Doppel is a grail that, now here, will never be sold, Ingenieur Double Chronograph is the same movement but a radically different watch and a relatively recent arrival - I'm waiting on a couple of custom straps from Jacob Ramirez for this.

    Sadly the BP43 has moved on but I'd happily have another one or perhaps a full-size BP, though I suspect next move is to bring a Portuguese of some sort into the fold. Depends on my PAM514 selling though, and most likely my UN Torpilleur will have to go as well.






  28. #178
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North of nowhere
    Posts
    7,601
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    I do love the BP43, beautiful simplicity. Does the crown dig in or is it clear enough from the wrist?

    IWC do pilots so well, I don't think many, if any, can touch them. I just can't get enough of my XVI, it's perfect in every way for me...



    Posted so many times, but why not eh?!

  29. #179
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I do love the BP43, beautiful simplicity. Does the crown dig in or is it clear enough from the wrist?

    IWC do pilots so well, I don't think many, if any, can touch them. I just can't get enough of my XVI, it's perfect in every way for me...



    Posted so many times, but why not eh?!
    A classic indeed!

    I didn't find the BP43 crown a problem at all. I've owned pilot watches where this was an issue but not from IWC.

    I needed to fundraise at the time I sold mine, but I suspect I'll have one again someday.

  30. #180
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North of nowhere
    Posts
    7,601
    That's this hobby for you!

  31. #181
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    1,648
    The 43 BP is fine, you just have to be a righty like me!

    PS itís Blue!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #182
    Might as wear the buggerÖ and so nice it is too




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  33. #183
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North of nowhere
    Posts
    7,601
    Completely wonderful that one.

  34. #184
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    278
    When looking at the various Pilots Chrono models: IW377, IW388 and IW378, is there any iteration that would be more or less desirable than the others? Is the older 43mm IW377 with different movement still a good buy?

  35. #185
    Grand Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
    When looking at the various Pilots Chrono models: IW377, IW388 and IW378, is there any iteration that would be more or less desirable than the others? Is the older 43mm IW377 with different movement still a good buy?
    I guess that would depend on what you mean by desirable?
    If you like it thatís the most important thing
    However if thinking about resale then I would have thought the latest version would be the most desirable as people tend to like the shiny and new.

  36. #186
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    278
    I suppose I wanted to check that neither movement were terrible, or if a certain case diameter would be harder to sell etc. I know nothing about IWC aside from my research over the last couple of months.

    From what I can see they appear to be visually identical, with the exception of the 377 having the second hand sub dial at 9 o clock rather than the 6 o clock of the other models.

  37. #187
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    5,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
    When looking at the various Pilots Chrono models: IW377, IW388 and IW378, is there any iteration that would be more or less desirable than the others? Is the older 43mm IW377 with different movement still a good buy?
    the new 41mm watches (esp on bracelet) are a significant step up for me having owned numerous iterations in the past.

  38. #188
    Craftsman Shounen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    287
    Love my Big Pilot IW501001


  39. #189
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,356
    Depends on your preference. The new pilot chronos are too small and insubstantial (imo)

  40. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Shounen View Post
    Love my Big Pilot IW501001

    The dial on these in the sunshine are superb. Great watch

  41. #191
    Master Andyp1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,667

    Let's hear it for IWC

    Quote Originally Posted by Shounen View Post
    Love my Big Pilot IW501001

    Always loved these. How do you find the crown in the back of your hand?

    Iím being drawn to the BP43 as the crown is slightly smaller as I think it could be an issue for me.

    The problem with the 43ís is you donít get the power reserve.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  42. #192
    Youíve just got it on the wrong wrist!
    Right is right.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  43. #193
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Youíve just got it on the wrong wrist!
    Right is right.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Agreed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  44. #194
    Craftsman Shounen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Always loved these. How do you find the crown in the back of your hand?

    Iím being drawn to the BP43 as the crown is slightly smaller as I think it could be an issue for me.

    The problem with the 43ís is you donít get the power reserve.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most of the time the crown doesn't cause a problem. When I wear sweaters with tight cuffs, the crown can sometimes rub against the back of my hand.

  45. #195
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanfisken View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stunner! I absolutely love this watch, but the price is just a little bit too rich for me to bite the bullet.


    Beautiful, well done.

  46. #196
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    8,225
    I like it, but I'm nto keen on the symmetry of the bezel indents.

  47. #197
    Master Andyp1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,667
    Loving this reference.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #198
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southend
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Loving this reference.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very nice Andy, no sunshine for me today



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  49. #199
    Taken this afternoon.
    After taking it to show a couple of watch dealers.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  50. #200
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    12,415
    Blog Entries
    22
    Went to Battersea Power Station for a wonder around with a friend recently. Impressed by the IWC boutique which had I think all their (extensive) range. I really liked these two quite different styles:

    Perpetual Calendar, operational from just the crown, with moon phase complication



    and the new style aquatimer - which was actually ok on my wrist, just distorted camera angle.



    Not impressed by the new prices though :-(

    Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 15th February 2024 at 13:16.
    ď Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.Ē HHGTTG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information