closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does Goldsmiths/WoS purchase history actually matter?

Journeyman

Does Goldsmiths/WoS purchase history actually matter?

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Pelagos, and I'm minded to support an independent AD, but I'm wondering whether there's any merit in spending the money with WoS to contribute to my purchase history for a potential future Rolex.

Any thoughts? I've seen mixed views but my overriding feeling is that a few Seikos and a Pelagos probably won't do much to bump me up for a sports model Rolex in the future. I'm definitely not buying diamonds or precious metal watches or anything like that.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by armchairpundit; 24th November 2023 at 11:33.

Master
    I'm afraid you'd need a bigger purchase history to make an impact.

For example, my local WoS in London won't put me on the list for a steel SkyDweller unless I buy a DayDate first.

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post

For example, my local WoS in London won't put me on the list for a steel SkyDweller unless I buy a DayDate first.
    If I had a DD I wouldn’t bother going back for a SkyDweller

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post

I honestly don't get it. I'm more than happy with my Sinn U1, but occasionally it enviously catches me sneaking a look at a Pelagos FXD.

I'm not a big fan of Rolexes if I'm completely honest *ducks*, but I wouldn't even buy a Tudor through assocation. I can't stand that sort of behaviour.

Yes and no. Everything you didn’t buy will count but everything you do, won’t.

I’ve tried to keep my purchase history with the same AD Goldsmiths, was dealing with the same sales assistant and managed to get discount. I’ve mentioned before in another thread, but they built up a profile of me (& my daughter oddly), not spent the amounts some have here, but also not bought the highly desirable, but hoping my next few purchases I can get some discount. The last sales assistant said I had good purchase history with them so who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yes and no. Everything you didn’t buy will count but everything you do, won’t.
    That's a decent life lesson!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    I’ve tried to keep my purchase history with the same AD Goldsmiths, was dealing with the same sales assistant and managed to get discount. I’ve mentioned before in another thread, but they built up a profile of me (& my daughter oddly), not spent the amounts some have here, but also not bought the highly desirable, but hoping my next few purchases I can get some discount. The last sales assistant said I had good purchase history with them so who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Ah interesting. I hadn't thought about the discounts angle.

I’ve only ever bought one watch from WOS, a Daytona, I’ve been on the list for a Pepsi since the day it came out, still nothing, it’s a scam and should be made illegal, clearly it’s a restrictive practice and that is against the law,

Journeyman
    I've seen mixed views but my overriding feeling is that a few Seikos and a Pelagos probably won't do much to bump me up for a sports model Rolex in the future. I'm definitely not buying diamonds or precious metal watches or anything like that.

My personal experience is that it's precisely purchases like this, in other words different brands/items, that will help with future Rolex allocations from a particular store. My AD manager told me that if you just tried to buy Rolex from them, you wouldn't get far. They want to see a customer buying a broad range of things that they sell - different brands of watches, jewellery, pens, etc. It's not the total spend necessarily, or at least it hasn't been in my case.

I struck up a relationship with a particular WoS group store a few years ago and since then, every watch I buy, doesn't matter what it is, I try to get from them - Omegas, Panerais, a couple of Breitlings and a Tudor. I've also bought pens and jewellery that my wife has liked when she's come in with me. We have a good relationship with the guys who work there and I often just drop in for a coffee and a chat.

I have consistently been allocated great Rolex watches from them over a period of time - a solid rose gold CHNR for my wife, a white gold Daytona, a platinum day date, a GMT II, a black sub, a Starbucks, etc and I'm currently on the waiting list for a Titanium Yachtmaster and a steel Daytona, which I've been told to expect next year.

So in my experience at least, buying things that I want anyway from one store and building a great relationship with the people who work there means that I get all the watches I want, relatively quickly. You've still got to be patient of course.

What I don't understand are the people you read about who seem to be buying huge amounts of jewellery and dress watches that they don't want just to get on the list for a difficult-to get piece. It seems to be more prevalent with Patek, particularly in the US. Don't ever buy something you don't want just to obtain something you do. If that's your approach, you may as well save yourself a few quid and just buy grey and have the watch on your wrist in a matter of days. However if you want to buy other watches from different brands and the occasional piece of jewellery, then you could do worse in my opinion than buying from the same store. Of course that store is going to look favourably on customers they already know when they're allocating sports pieces.

It's also important to support independent AD's or any businesses of course, and that's the toss up. If they don't stock Rolex you've got a decision to make.
    Last edited by djman; 24th November 2023 at 19:06.

Just have a family member be senior at head office and you can avoid all of this. Just need to take them for a decent lunch rather than rim a sales assistant for ten years.

Unfortunately, the purchase history I do have is with disadvantageous branches of Watches of Switzerland. In the past three years I've bought new a Rolex and a GO from Regent Street (too many big spenders there to make my history even vaguely interesting); and further back a new Rolex plus the manager's personal APRO boutique edition in Cardiff (I live nowhere near Cardiff and the manager I knew very well has retired... also his successor let me down hugely more recently with a Daytona).

If I knew then what I know now, I'd only have bought new from a single, good independent (thinking of the likes of Berry's, etc).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Just have a family member be senior at head office and you can avoid all of this. Just need to take them for a decent lunch rather than rim a sales assistant for ten years.
    If you’re keen to comply with the process it’s worth choosing the WoS AD and sitting down with them and providing your WoS sales history and then other dealers.

They can consolidate the history, clean up your expression of interest list, and the other watch history can be useful so that they see you’re a collector enthusiast.

I wonder if one buys a bag of Dry Roasted Peanuts, a bag of Pork Scratchings, a bag of Chicken flavoured Crisps and a Pint of Mild, (none of which one actually wants), the landlord will put one on the list to buy a double Macallan 20 Year Old?

Asking for a friend.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    I honestly think it only matters when you are buying lots of things (100k+ on your account), especially jewellery to get the watches you want.

Wiley summed it up well above, the things you didn’t buy count.
    Last edited by EmilA; 25th November 2023 at 17:19.

Would rather pay a premium and buy on the second hand market. That’s the watch, that’s the price and no need to grease the palm of an AD while they give you a fake smile, make you an espresso and empty your wallet. Life’s too short.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I wonder if one buys a bag of Dry Roasted Peanuts, a bag of Pork Scratchings, a bag of Chicken flavoured Crisps and a Pint of Mild, (none of which one actually wants), the landlord will put one on the list to buy a double Macallan 20 Year Old?

Asking for a friend.
    Not without an option on the pickled egg stored in the large jar filled with floating bits of bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    If you’re keen to comply with the process it’s worth choosing the WoS AD and sitting down with them and providing your WoS sales history and then other dealers.

They can consolidate the history, clean up your expression of interest list, and the other watch history can be useful so that they see you’re a collector enthusiast.
    But I don't need any of that - I just make sure the lunch is decent and the booze flows.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    But I don't need any of that - I just make sure the lunch is decent and the booze flows.
    You must have an impressive collection. :)

I don't like Rolex! so they sit for an appropriate period of time....