closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help with Russian language please

Help with Russian language please

I have this marble box that used to belong to my grandparents. My granddad was an officer in the Finnish navy and I believe this is a gift given to him by someone in the Soviet navy. I gather this was given to him in 1964 when he was the commanding officer of the Finnish navy frigate Matti Kurki. Some naval history aficionados among you may remember that the vessel used to be called HMS Porlock Bay before the Royal Navy sold it to Finland in 1962.

The box has been engraved in Russian but I don’t have the skill to interpret what it says. Any help interpreting it will be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Antti

Otoma Soviet Ship August 1964.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 23rd November 2023 at 17:29.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Otoma Soviet Ship August 1964.

R
    Thanks Ralphy! Are you sure about the otoma? I couldn’t find a Soviet vessel called Otoma and looking closely the third letter looks like a P which would mean the word starts ”otr”

Make that Otryad, ie Отряд, in script rather than print?

See GoogleTrans.

Update Using Google once again, Отряд советский кораблей август 1964 translates to Detachment of Soviet ships August 1964.

Update 2 A search for cyrillic cursive d will show you how I got to the phonetic transcription. See also this WikiLink.
    Last edited by PickleB; 23rd November 2023 at 18:59.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post

See GoogleTrans.

Update Using Google once again, Отряд советский кораблей август 1964 translates to Detachment of Soviet ships August 1964.

Update 2 A search for cyrillic cursive d will show you how I got to the phonetic transcription. See also this WikiLink.
    Correct.

Thank you very much gentlemen! It proves my theory of the origin of the box was correct. Too bad it doesn’t really give anything tangible about the giver. I guess I’ll need to dig into Finnish military archives to see what Matti Kurki was up to in August of -64 if I want more information about the detachment they met.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post

See GoogleTrans.

That's interesting, the first time I found it came up with 'squad' for Отряд but thereafter it didn't so I left it open in English.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Thank you very much gentlemen! It proves my theory of the origin of the box was correct. Too bad it doesn’t really give anything tangible about the giver. I guess I’ll need to dig into Finnish military archives to see what Matti Kurki was up to in August of -64 if I want more information about the detachment they met.
    She did get about a bit: www.facebook.com/KoululaivaMattiKurki.

According to this WikiLink..."Matti Kurki made seven global circumnavigations. It is estimated some 1,500 Finnish cadets and conscripts served on board her during her service in the Finnish Navy."