closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for SUV recommendations

Looking for SUV recommendations

Hi all, as above.

Our ageing Honda CRV is becoming a bit of a money pit.

Something a newer is required, so looking for personal recommendations from the group collective.

The following criteria is a must:

Large boot
    High driving position
    Not Diesel as we do a lot of small journeys
    Not a newer CRV - Fancy a change
    Not mega expensive to run

Budget is £10-£12K ish.

Many thanks

Mark

Blog Entries
    Something Korean then if you don't want another Honda. (Curious to know its mileage and age though).

Master
    Hi
    We went through something similar very recently and ended up with a Jeep Cherokee - not suitable in your case as it’s a diesel.
    But we also liked a Mitsubishi Outlander which fits most of your criteria, especially if you get one that has zero road tax.
    Cheers

Blog Entries
    Mazda CX-5 petrol 2 litre. You'll probably be looking at 10 year old cars for £10-12k and those MY CX-5s weren't available with an autobox. Get a "Sport" or "Sport Nav" model and you get all the bells and whistles. Good to drive too from all accounts.

For me, the other options would be...
    Hyundai Tuscon and/or Kia Sportage - which you might get a slightly newer MY for the budget but the petrol versions of those are a bit of a lottery and can have issues.
    VW Tiguan - again petrol versions might be a bit of a lottery.

Stick with dull, the CRV does what it should and at your budget it's the least risky.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

RX450 would give you a massive choice, they are very good and tick your boxes

Master
    Blog Entries
    I recently swapped from volvo to Lexus and so long as you are happy with lexus front seat and a CVT drive belt the quality is superior. Although a Korean emanation will supply a much newer registration for the same money
    Last edited by Suds; 23rd November 2023 at 15:27.

Master
    Use your head and get another Honda, it just makes sense. I have been running Hondas since 2004 and not even a light bulb has blown.

My sister has been running a 2020 Kia Sportage since new and it’s never let her down. I think it’s a 1.6 petrol too. The balloon payment on her PCP was around £10k and at the time, they were going for around £14k so she decided to pay off the balloon and keep the car.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Use your head and get another Honda, it just makes sense. I have been running Hondas since 2004 and not even a light bulb has blown.
    Another big fan here. But the OP stated that his Honda is becoming troublesome. That's why I asked for mileage and age. (Just to prepare myself...). So at a certain point, things must go wrong. Having said that, the Honda dealer cherishes a one-owner-since-new Honda Legend that has done nearly 700,000kms with only regular maintenance.

The later-day Hondas have relatively small engine. I can't help thinking that a few CC extra isn't all that bad. Older cars have a 2.0 ltr engine and would narrow my Honda search to cars with that engine.

Having said that, my old (t)rusty Suzuki Jimmy (2001) has done 100,000+ miles without any problem. The Vitara is perhaps an interesting option as well. But check for rust first!!!

I've just ordered an Audi Q4 45 E Tron

Red face

OP's budget is £12k. :)

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I've just ordered an Audi Q4 45 E Tron

HR-V manual/petrol

Not a single problem in four years (was bought used at just under three and a half years old). Was low mileage though, bought with 30K and sold with 57K

Love Hondas ......... at least until the electric range came along.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Yeah for that I would be looking for a G Wagon AMG

Seriously newer Honda is the sensible option.

Allways the way.

A used Mitsubishi ASX or maybe a Suzuki Vitara?

Craftsman
    Rav4?
    Could probably get a Seat Ateca for that kind of money.

Opps ....may be a Lexus RX450 h?

On ruling out a diesel, I've run a e91 BMW 330d for 10 years and my wife has run a Mk4 Honda CRV 2.2 DTEC for 6 years. 95% of journeys in both cars are short trips.

Both cars have DPFs, but we've (touch wood) had zero short journey related issues with either car in those time frames.

My view is that it's not necessarily short journeys that are the issue with Diesels, it's a lack of long journeys that causes problems. As long as the car gets a few long trips a year it should be ok.

A Diesel engine suits an SUV due to the extra torque. Our CRV has 150 bhp but it doesn't feel slow.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 29th November 2023 at 18:49.

Blog Entries
    Is ULEZ an issue or concern for you? Your profile says you're in Bristol - do they have a ULEZ and might you be in/near the catchment? If so, those diesels will not be compliant - you'll need Euro 6 (from 2016*) at least I think.

Some Euro6 compliant car were available from as early as 2012/13 but they are rare - most of the mainstream came onboard from 2016
    Last edited by vagabond; 29th November 2023 at 19:03.

Master
    OP, what do you mean by a "large boot"? In my experience SUVs sacrifice boot space for passenger space; I have a Karoq & the boot area (maybe not volume) is smaller than my old series 2 Mondeo & vastly smaller than something like an Octavia.

The 150hp 1.5TSi in the Karoq is pretty good as long as the turbo is spinning but I would really like some more bottom end torque. It does do nearly 43mpg though.

The AT links above have your postcode. I think when posting, you delete part of the web address up to the question mark and then cut and paste into your reply.

The Mrs got a CX-30 and its a great car, if it is within your budget. The interior is excellent for the price point of the car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    The AT links above have your postcode. I think when posting, you delete part of the web address up to the question mark and then cut and paste into your reply.
    Many thanks.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Hi all, as above.

Our ageing Honda CRV is becoming a bit of a money pit.

Something a newer is required, so looking for personal recommendations from the group collective.

The following criteria is a must:

Large boot
    High driving position
    Not Diesel as we do a lot of small journeys
    Not a newer CRV - Fancy a change
    Not mega expensive to run

Budget is £10-£12K ish.

Many thanks

Mark
    Just picked this up for less than £9k. 2013 2.4 petrol with 50k on the clock..

Master
    I just bought a Dacia Duster as an interim solution until we are in a position to go ev, or whatever comes next. It’ll be used mainly as a dog-wagon/runabout. Have to say so far I love it! Goes well, stops well, comfy, roomy, practical. Doesn’t have any unnecessary tech (well, could live without the side view cameras) and even has actual physical buttons for all the usual functions as well as a carplay-enabled touchscreen thingy. Apart from one or two minor quirks it’s exceeding expectations on every front atm, especially for the money it cost.

To be fair, thats coming from someone who has no real interest in cars at least not modern ones, so errr, ymmv!

Master
    Just bought this - all the bells and whistles
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    OP, what do you mean by a "large boot"? In my experience SUVs sacrifice boot space for passenger space; I have a Karoq & the boot area (maybe not volume) is smaller than my old series 2 Mondeo & vastly smaller than something like an Octavia.

The 150hp 1.5TSi in the Karoq is pretty good as long as the turbo is spinning but I would really like some more bottom end torque. It does do nearly 43mpg though.
    I have the bigger Skoda, the Kodiaq, boot is huge, i'd day as deep as my previous Octavia estate, a smidge wider and a good chunk taller. It was a close call between the 1.5TSi and 2.0TDi both with 150hp, glad i went diesel as it has great low down torque and gets me 60mpg

Another vote for Suzuki. I've had a Range Rover, 2 Land Rovers, 2 Merceds ML and my last one was a Jaguar F-Pace. I had the F-Pace for 3 years but only did 2000 miles in that time and decided I shouldn't leave it sitting on the drive, depreciating all the time. I got a surprisingly good price from a dealer for the Jag and bought a Suzuki Vitara Allgrip automatic, which is a joy to drive, and banked a fair wedge of cash. It's a 1.4 litre turbo-charged petrol.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".