closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: November 2023 insurance recommendations

Apprentice

November 2023 insurance recommendations

Hi all, currently have buildings and contents with M&S due to their decent contents cover for higher value items. Renewal quote has come through quite a lot more expensive (+35% ish). Before I start trying to haggle with them does anyone have any current recommendations?

Thanks

This might be worth a read.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/in...ome-insurance/

One renewal quote I had recently was with M&S (as you, also +35% on last year). I searched online (comparison sites and those not on comparison sites) and found comparable cover at less than half the price (i.e. 30% less than last year). Definitely shop around, and do it in good time (3-4 weeks before your renewal date). [I ended up going with SwiftCover - good Defaqto rating and good online reviews.]

Craftsman
    Definitely read the terms & conditions. Especially surrounding value and how they will / won’t cover certain items etc

I have had a year long battle with m&s. Only just managed to resolve things but at a great loss unfortunately.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That sounds like a story worth telling.

Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    Definitely read the terms & conditions. Especially surrounding value and how they will / won’t cover certain items etc

I have had a year long battle with m&s. Only just managed to resolve things but at a great loss unfortunately.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    That sounds like a story worth telling.
    /\ +1 interested to hear more.

I have been with M&S for some time and this year, as above - a BIG increase.

I was supposed to shop around and look for something cheaper - but ended up sticking / being lazy.

I am with them because you do not need to name watches and they cover a decent single value limit, so covers most of my collection without worrying about it.

Given, I am wearing watches less often, I think I could have saved by going for a different provider and naming the watches I wear - maybe next year...but more hassle, as every time you buy or sell a watch you have to change the policy!

Master
    Try Aviva online. They quoted a quarter of the cost of insuring my few watches compared to John Lewis who have changed their underwriter.

+1 on the request for M&S insurance experience.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Try Aviva online. They quoted a quarter of the cost of insuring my few watches compared to John Lewis who have changed their underwriter.
    We are with John Lewis who have been excellent. However, they have told me that if valuable items (watches/jewellery) exceed a certain value overall, then they would be unable to cover any contents/house insurance at all. I asked about insuring the watches elsewhere, and having them for other contents but they said no. I can't remember the overall value allowed but I think it was £20k.

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    We are with John Lewis who have been excellent. However, they have told me that if valuable items (watches/jewellery) exceed a certain value overall, then they would be unable to cover any contents/house insurance at all. I asked about insuring the watches elsewhere, and having them for other contents but they said no. I can't remember the overall value allowed but I think it was £20k.
    Not my experience with JL.
    I have contents and several high value watches insured through them.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the advice all, as Boss13 says part of the attraction with M&S was that I didn't have to individually specify any watches as they had a high limit for individual items before you had to name them (certainly covered what I have).

Will do some comparisons but it looks like Aviva Home Plus could be an option.

Craftsman
    If anyone manages to get a decent renewal quote at all check your T&Cs carefully as some terms only kick in after an initial 12 month period.

I was lucky this year and renewal through Nationwide was only 30 quid more...but a term has now kicked in that means I have to have a (properly invoiced) inspection of anything over 12k for fixtures. Means I need to find a jeweller to look at my 116613LB and confirm the clasp isn't about to fall off. Every 12 months I need to do this now.

Should be cheap enough, certainly cheaper than insuring elsewhere and having to have independent valuations done again.

I’m using NFU, they seem to offer the best all risk cover to people who have high value trinkets, the renewal quote was 25% higher than last year, but when I had a good look around they were still the best value.