closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replace TRV on Attic Radiator

Replace TRV on Attic Radiator

Help me with my thinking here...

We have a three-storey house, combi boiler and none of our radiators have a drain valve.
    In the attic we have a bedroom and an en-suite. Bedroom has a radiator (TRV), bathroom has a towel rail radiator (no TRV) which has flexible hoses coming from the floor. It seems the radiator is now always 'on' - it didn't used to be like this but with the TRV on 0 or with the TRV off and the valve 'button' (I'm sure there's a proper word for it) pressed down, it sounds like the flow is being restricted but not stopped. I have changed the TRV head like-for-like with no improvement. I do not know if hot water goes first to the bedroom or bathroom (or how I would find out without lifting the floor!)

If I close the valves on the bathroom towel radiator and then disconnect the hoses one at a time and bend them to below the height of the TRV in the bedroom, the batchroom towel radiator will remain full but the bedroom radiator (and pipework) will drain to below the level of the TRV won't it? I can then just replace the valve section?

(bathroom floor is tiled and I can dump any drained water into sink, toilet or shower tray quickly and easily)

Once reconnected I can refill (and 'some' inhibitor) and bleed.

Thanks in advance for any advice that will stop me flooding the house.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Thanks in advance for any advice that will stop me flooding the house.
    Two things I'd suggest......

1. Call a plumber for minimum inconvenience.
    2. Whilst he's there, get him to lose the flexi's coming out of the floor feeding that rad.

Is the system drain valve near the boiler?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Is the system drain valve near the boiler?
    No, there isn't one anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    1. Call a plumber for minimum inconvenience.
    I know I should but where's the fun in that?

2. Whilst he's there, get him to lose the flexi's coming out of the floor feeding that rad.
    Wouldn't that mean lifting the tiled floor?

Try exercising the TRV pin by pushing it up/down to check how freely it moves or if it’s stuck then moving it might well free it up.

Surprised there is no drain off for the system, normally it will be at the lowest point of the plumbing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Try exercising the TRV pin by pushing it up/down to check how freely it moves or if it’s stuck then moving it might well free it up.

Surprised there is no drain off for the system, normally it will be at the lowest point of the plumbing.
    Hard to believe there’s no drain, what kind of plumber/heating engineer fitted that? Ours is in the built on garage, found it by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Hard to believe there’s no drain, what kind of plumber/heating engineer fitted that? Ours is in the built on garage, found it by accident.
    Ours is outside, just above the ground on the flank wall. I’m sure the OP has one, it just needs finding.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Same kinda plumber that pipes a rad up in flexi's I'm guessing 🙄

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I know I should but where's the fun in that?

Wouldn't that mean lifting the tiled floor?
    Can you access it from the ceiling below ?

Master
    Attic Rad highest point? Combi boiler?

The top part of the TRV should unscrew (there's a screw ring just above the metal bit), and can be replaced without the need to do any 'wet work'.

Google 'How to replace a TRV head'.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The top part of the TRV should unscrew (there's a screw ring just above the metal bit), and can be replaced without the need to do any 'wet work'.

I thought he had tried a new thermostatic head? You think trying again might help?

Being at the top of your system I'd suggest closing down the balancing valve (the one on the other side of your radiator to your TRV) a bit at a time to see if that helps.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

Like IAmATeaf says above, remove the TRV head and get WD40 on the pin underneath then press it in/out to free it up. They stick and you can work it free in just a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I thought he had tried a new thermostatic head? You think trying again might help?
    Is this the forum equivalent of "Didn't read the question. D-"?

The TRV pin does move up and down - when pushed fully down (either by the TRV head or by me) it sounds like the flow is restricted but not stopped.

There really is no drain off hence my plan to drain only to below the valve level in the attic.

Same kinda plumber that pipes a rad up in flexi's I'm guessing 
    Most of the system was put in >25 years ago before my time in the house so that's when the drain valve wasn't installed. Work done in the attic (inc using plastic pipes to the towel rad) was during my time as part of a loft conversion - I didn't know any better and just went with what the plumber suggested.
    Can you access it from the ceiling below ?
    Not easily but the en-suite itself is going to be ripped out and redone in a couple of years so the 'flexi' issue will be resolved then.
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 20th November 2023 at 10:06.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Attic Rad highest point? Combi boiler?
    Yes, the attic rad and the ensuite towel rad are on either side of the same wall and are the highest point in the system. Yes, combi boiler.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Is this the forum equivalent of "Didn't read the question. D-"?

Yes, already tried that.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Being at the top of your system I'd suggest closing down the balancing valve (the one on the other side of your radiator to your TRV) a bit at a time to see if that helps.

R
    I'm going to do that just to turn effective turn the bedroom rad right down so I don't have 'boiling bedroom' all week before I have a crack at it next weekend. Closing down the balancing valve won't fix the problem though, will it?
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 20th November 2023 at 16:05.