closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: When you buy do you have one eye on future selling price, ease of selling ?

When you buy do you have one eye on future selling price, ease of selling ?

Even if this is the one watch, the one you have been hunting and will never sell but you often do down the road because another has caught your eye and you need to raise funds.

As we know some watches are easy to resell/trade but others that seemed a good idea/price at the time tend to stick until we are willing to take a real bath :)

Also I think most used watches offered for sale are over priced (for me) by about 20% but I could just be a tight arse :)

In short, yes. Seems prudent to me.

I don't think about resale, I just buy what I like. I almost never buy new watches so I don't think I risk taking a large hit, and I reckon if I did sell I'd get most of what I paid back.

It's a hobby so thinking about money spent is a bit self defeating I think. If you limit what you buy because you're afraid of the resale then you never really explore what you really want.

Yeah. I hate myself for it but I nearly always think about selling, as I’m buying, it’s as if the watch is ready to go out the door as soon as it comes in.

Having said that, it’s also straight up sensible. I know myself well enough to say nothing stays in the collection forever and that I hate taking a bath on resale. I don’t think I’ve ever made a profit but it’s nice to buy at a sensible price and minimise the loss.

To that end, the only watches I buy new are resin G-Shocks (at <£150, I don’t mind the losses)

No.
    It's mine forever.

Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    No, I’m one of those misguided romantics who always thinks it’ll be forever.

Funny thing coming back to the hobby after a very long break, is to discover that I could apparently sell most of my old watches that I bought 20 years ago for more than I paid for them.

No. Never sold a watch. I'm a fussy beggar. I know what I like and don't like so only buy if I'm sure it's a keeper.

Good lord no...where's the pleasure in that, aren't you thereby short circuiting most of the joy from the purchase, the fun/ buzz/pleasure of getting your new watch, or am I being too simplistic?
    Last edited by Passenger; 19th November 2023 at 09:52.

I’ve won some a lost some on all my flips but mainly lost , without the use of a crystal ball I’d probably say buying used now is probably a good time to buy as used prices seem lower than usual but who knows, end of the day buy what you intend to keep trouble is in my flipping days that changed monthly

No, not really (save for trying not to overpay unknowingly). It kind of commoditises watches, which takes the joy out of the game.

Different for flippers, I suppose, but I've not been in that camp for many years.

Master
    Never. Although it's rare that I spend more than £300 nowadays.

Master
    Na not especially now. I've got into some of the lesser known stuff rather than the so called "Big 4" (which are always incredibly easy to sell on).
    Edox and Oris are my two favourite brands. Both great value in my opinion but not the easiest to sell on without taking a lumping great hit.
    That said, there are certain watches I simply wouldn't pay retail price for because its a given that the second hand market is so weak for them. I like a lot of Raymond Weil and some Maurice Lacroix models, especially the masterpiece collection, but I'd only ever buy second hand because the depreciation on those brands is dreadful. Crazy really because again they both represent very good value for money and they are both strongly established Swiss watchhouses.

Master
    I think most of us on here probably do. I wouldn’t enjoy buying something I knew was going to completely tank. I tend to stick to relatively safe stuff but fortunately I also like that stuff.
    Last edited by Berty234; 19th November 2023 at 13:37.

No, it is a hobby. I don’t purchase with resale in mind. I buy purely for my own enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I tend not to sell the watches I have researched and hunted down, this is a big part of the hobby’s attraction for me. The impulse buys are usually low value so I am not worried if I lose a bit. Hobby’s are supposed to be fun / interesting, worrying about costs would ruin it for me

Master
    Blog Entries
    I tend to look at the retention when buying, simply as a negotiation tool for the buying price, but I buy things that lose money like most others.

No, not really.

Grand Master
    I've never been new for buying new watches, so generally I`ve bought at a price that could be redeemed should I decide to sell. I never buy a watch with the intention of selling it someday, that's a mentality I can`t relate to, I buy stuff to keep. If I decide I`m not so keen on the watch after owning it a while (usually a few years) I`ll sell it on, but only if I`m 100% sure I won't miss it.

I keep thinking I should sell a few, I`m getting no younger and I do have a largish collection (mostly vintage Omega), but as yet I haven`t translated this into action.

I dig one out recently with a view to selling, then decided I'd prefer to sell freshly serviced (I like to guarantee watches I sell), haven`t had time to service it as I`m busy with other stuff, so it's sat in my work room going nowhere. I don`t part with them easily!

Never understand folks who habitually flip watches. I went through a spell in my early 20s of flipping cars after a few months to get something else......I grew out of it.

With watches I always advise building a collection over the long term, never sell a watch you like in order to buy one you might like slightly more, save your pennies and dimes in order to own both! It helps if (like me)you have relatively modest taste.

I never expect to sell, so not really.

I do try and buy at the right price, and that means I wouldn’t pay the grey market premium for a hot watch.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 19th November 2023 at 15:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont buy anything with the intention to sell later,anything I do buy I expect to be worth less if I have to sell it (but may get lucky).

Though looking back at some watches I wish I hadnt sold them, but hey who needs 10,20,30 or more watches (besides us of course).

I buy what I like irrespective of cost and never even think about resale value.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never, although i have yet to buy a watch in the £1000s+ range and if I ever do I would probs buy second hand unless a big discount was to be had (just likemy cars really)

Everyone’s different.
    Some think that worrying about the cost of ownership would ruin their enjoyment, I think trying to minimise it increases my opportunity to try more watches and keep the hobby (relatively) affordable.
    No right answers here.

No.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

No, I buy stuff I like for the pleasure of ownership.

It's a hobby not commodity trading.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No. I buy to keep.

All those I have ended up selling have been at a loss, about 20% drop as a guess so manageable.

I buy to keep, but often don't.

As a result, I always try to buy well, buying with an unlimited budget (or ignoring a budget) is not something anyone here does really.

I mostly try to buy the best example that I can afford, but that is not always a perfect example, and sometimes I will also buy to restore, buying something with potential rather than perfection.

My 94110 snowflake, which is probably one of the two last watches that I would ever part with, was a total dog when I bought it, with a lot of problems with the dial and massive cuts across the caseback, but I took it on because it was affordable and I knew it could be improved to a standard that I could be pleased with. It looks great now, and I am very invested in the ugly duckling that I have returned to its proper state.

By contrast, when I got me EZM1 (the other of the last 2) I bought the best one I could, in perfect nick with box and papers, rubber and titanium bracelet (with the rare SELs).

When it comes to used or vintage watches, I think everyone here tries to buy well, which could also be considered buying with at least an eye for re-sale.

Finding examples of anything on an unlimited budget is easy, and holds no pleasure for me (not that I could afford to do that anyway). Hunting down the best example at a good price is great fun.

None of this really applies to buying new watches, which is a different game altogether.

There aren't any new watches that pique my interest these days, apart from Eddie's offerings- not smoke blowing up Eddie's skirt, but they are great watches.

The last new watches I bought were both Yema's, a maxi diver which I gifted away to one of Mr Curtas charity raffles if I remember rightly, and a SpaceGraf Zero, which I love and still wear often. Both great watches, with quality way beyond their price points, much like Timefactor watches.

I could do with selling a few off, but when push comes to shove I just can't seem to seal the deal on those that I have left in the watch box.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

yes, future selling price is always considered.

Nope. I have never sold a watch in my life. I've given a few away, but never sold one.

A

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its a bit like these people who buy motorbikes/cars etc.then dont do ride/drive them far so as to not reduce the value.

Use it, you cant take it with you.

I expect most who buy thinking of future values are Rolexians ( I invented a new word).

Master
    I’m not in one camp or the other. For me, it depends on the purchase.

I’ve got a couple of watches that I bought to mark specific occasions, and the thought of resale didn’t come in to it at all as I’ve vowed they will not be sold.

Others, Ive sold after a few years and took a hit on them.. but tried my best to buy well. But resale wasn’t an over-riding factor.

Then there’s some purchases I’ve made where I maybe wasn’t 100% sure the watch was going to be for me even during the purchase… but the price was good enough to allow me to try them out. Both ease of resale and impact of doing so was therefore something I certainly took in to account on those. I guess I could well have just passed on buying them in the first place… but perversely the man maths has often proved to be a positive thing egging me on to try some different watches

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Even if this is the one watch, the one you have been hunting and will never sell but you often do down the road because another has caught your eye and you need to raise funds.

As we know some watches are easy to resell/trade but others that seemed a good idea/price at the time tend to stick until we are willing to take a real bath :)

Also I think most used watches offered for sale are over priced (for me) by about 20% but I could just be a tight arse :)
    I want to say No but I have to say Yes. Ease of sell doesn't bother me if the price is right and most importantly I LOVE THE WATCH. I haven't sold one yet though, have about 10 now, in the range between 2-6k.

I am just turning a corner now and am starting to look for sell prices on a couple that don't do a lot of wrist time.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Some odd responses on this thread IMO. The question wasn't about buying to make a profit, not using the watch for fear or value reduction, 'investing' in watches, only thinking about the money etc.. The question was simply whether you have an awareness of the used market value and demand for the watch.

It's absolutely fine to answer no of course, but just seems some folk are answering the wrong question.

Blog Entries
    Not really. My buying rate is right down now, only two this year and none sold. A few years ago I was at it like a roundabout but I didn’t check selling prices when buying.

The comment about the asking prices? The watches may not sell for the asking prices. . .
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th November 2023 at 04:14.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Some odd responses on this thread IMO. The question wasn't about buying to make a profit, not using the watch for fear or value reduction, 'investing' in watches, only thinking about the money etc.. The question was simply whether you have an awareness of the used market value and demand for the watch.

It's absolutely fine to answer no of course, but just seems some folk are answering the wrong question.
    Agreed, I’ve been surprised by the responses too in that context.

No, I just decide if I like the watch enough to spend the money that's being asked for it.

I haven't bought many watches recently, though.

My desire for anything new is definitely on the wane.

I'm sure some of it is due to the prices (new and used) now - I certainly wouldn't spend the kind of money a number of my watches demand today on a watch.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Having made some big mistakes early on then yes.

Whilst I buy what I hope to enjoy for a good few years, I try not to overpay, so that when I do sell (mostly to offset something else I've bought / want to buy) I don't lose too much.

Just seems sensible to me.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Judging by how excruciatingly slowly most watches seem to sell on SC, I think it's safe to say 99% of members here have a very keen eye on the future selling price, and try to buy below it ;)

Yes and no.

When buying new I either buy what I like and pay RRP or the discounted price. There’s mostly a loss involved in those situations and that accounts for around half of all my watch buying.

When buying used I try to buy for either what a watch is worth to me or the going rate for a particular watch as a full set in as close to new condition as possible. Sometimes the future prices are higher sometimes they are lower.

I really should have spent more time being selective in my purchasing, but life’s to short to worry too much about it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Judging by how excruciatingly slowly most watches seem to sell on SC, I think it's safe to say 99% of members here have a very keen eye on the future selling price, and try to buy below it ;)
    When catching falling knife, hasty man risk lose finger, maybe hand!