closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 38 of 38

Thread: New Seiko Prospex 'Marinemaster'

  1. #1
    Master Rocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,602

    New Seiko Prospex 'Marinemaster'

    Much more wearable (for me) than the MM300 - but seems rather pricey!

    How do we think this compares to the SLA021?

    Is this new iteration even a Marine Master anymore?

    https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...iver-sje101j1/

    https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko...n-specs-price/
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 16th November 2023 at 19:34.

  2. #2
    Grand Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,530
    Thatís really smart and unusually I prefer the white dial to the black.

  3. #3
    Not cheap at just shy of £3000.

    I was told they were going to be in the low £2000 range!
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 16th November 2023 at 20:13.

  4. #4
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    36,595
    Marinemaster in name only.

  5. #5
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    18,226

    New Seiko Prospex 'Marinemaster'

    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Marinemaster in name only.
    Yep, they are not MMs IMO.

    Ruined it and time to start hunting a 001.

  6. #6
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    36,595
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yep, they are not MMs IMO.

    Ruined it and time to start hunting a 001.
    The only thing stopping me doing the same is my 021. I wouldnít hang about though.

  7. #7
    Grand Master Foxy100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Die FuchsrŲhre
    Posts
    14,791
    The date window is the first thing, the bracelet the second, and I can't be bothered looking at it any further.

    I wear my SLA023 most days now and a thinner version of that (perhaps with no date window at all) would be very attractive.
    "A man of little significance"

  8. #8
    The SLA075 is much more akin to an MM: give me that with a plain gloss black dial! Not sure what these are, other than another reimagining of the 62MAS.

    As I said in the upcoming releases thread, Seiko look like theyíre out of ideas

  9. #9
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    6,733
    I can only agree with Wiley and Tony here, and the comment about Seiko running out of ideas.

    This is all about churning out watches but embarrassingly, using the word Marinemaster to help sales.

    My opinion is this. At £2990 retail it's more expensive than an SLA021 at £2820 retail. This new model Dark Water Marinemaster (so the black dial model) looks very bland when compared to the 021, or any other 300m Marinemaster for that matter.

    This is the important bit. It's embarrassing seeing Marinemaster on the dial. They are no Marinemaster by looks, size, depth rating, weight or anything else for that matter.

    Give me an SLA021 any day. I love my 021.


    Last edited by j111dja; 17th November 2023 at 11:35.

  10. #10
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    18,226
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The only thing stopping me doing the same is my 021. I wouldnít hang about though.
    Thereís an SLA039 on Subdial which Iíve been looking at on and off for weeks wondering if that could be the ultimate MM. I think itíll either be that or an SBDX001 and then Iíll call it quits with Marine Masters.

  11. #11
    Minus the X and the date porthole, neither of which I care for, and you'd have a modern 14060. As it is... not for me.



    That's a Marinemaster

  12. #12
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    6,733
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thereís an SLA039 on Subdial which Iíve been looking at on and off for weeks wondering if that could be the ultimate MM. I think itíll either be that or an SBDX001 and then Iíll call it quits with Marine Masters.
    The SLA039 is a stunning watch.

    The 001 being the best ever mm300. The SLA039 being in a league of it's own. I'm biased of course.
    Last edited by j111dja; 17th November 2023 at 01:27.

  13. #13
    So many better watches released previously. The SLA025 and SLA039 are leagues above, limited, and for little more money. Just doesnít make too much sense to me.
    It's just a matter of time...

  14. #14
    Talk about destroying a classic!

  15. #15
    Lovely watch but yeah... not a MM.
    Why?


    Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Very generic Seiko dive watch

  17. #17
    Really donít like that. But I love this:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Marinemaster in name only.
    This.

    The bracelet is way too fussy for a dive watch & £3k

    I'm very happy with this recent acquisition for less than half the RRP, but I got mine here.

    Last edited by andy tims; 17th November 2023 at 11:22.
    Andy

    Wanted - Damasko DC57

  19. #19
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    18,226
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    The SLA039 is a stunning watch.

    The 001 being the best ever mm300. The SLA039 being in a league of it's own. I'm biased of course.
    The question is if its worth roughly two of the 001? Seems to be 3.1k for the 039.

  20. #20
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    6,733
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The question is if its worth roughly two of the 001? Seems to be 3.1k for the 039.
    The SLA039 retailed at £6050. It's not worth that, but it's a lovely watch via the used market. It wears differently to the mm300's. It's heavier, bigger and thicker.

    Is an SLA039 worth two of the SBDX001's, or is the SLA039 better than two SLA021's? Owning both models, I don't think it is.

    The 039 is a different beast altogether. It is in a league of it's own (used of course) as it has the hi-beat movement and it's more retro looking. It's a big lump of steel. More importantly, it doesn't have the dreaded Diashield.
    Last edited by j111dja; 18th November 2023 at 13:05.

  21. #21
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    18,226
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    The SLA039 retailed at £6050. It's not worth that, but it's a lovely watch via the used market. It wears differently to the mm300's. It's heavier, bigger and thicker.

    Is an SLA039 worth two of the SBDX001's, or is the SLA039 better than two SLA021's? Owning both models, I don't think it is.

    The 039 is a different beast altogether. It is in a league of it's own (used of course) as it has the hi-beat movement and it's more retro looking. It's a big lump of steel. More importantly, it doesn't have the dreaded Diashield.
    Thanks a lot for that, really appreciate it. Iíve been obsessing over reviews, pictures and specs for a few days now. Didnít expect it to be thicker than a MM300 (15.7mm vs 15.0mm) but it seems to sink into the wrist well so might not be an issue.

    Iíve had the SBDX001, SBDX017 and SLA021 now but this new release is pushing me back into another 001. Pretty sure I got the 017 from you. Shame I moved the 001 on so quick and never gave it a proper chance.

    Iím trying to get the 039 for 3k which hasnít worked out. Think another 50-100 would do it.

  22. #22
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    36,595
    Iíd also be keeping my eyes peeled for an 021. Lovely variant IMO.

  23. #23
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    6,733
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thanks a lot for that, really appreciate it. Iíve been obsessing over reviews, pictures and specs for a few days now. Didnít expect it to be thicker than a MM300 (15.7mm vs 15.0mm) but it seems to sink into the wrist well so might not be an issue.

    Iíve had the SBDX001, SBDX017 and SLA021 now but this new release is pushing me back into another 001. Pretty sure I got the 017 from you. Shame I moved the 001 on so quick and never gave it a proper chance.

    Iím trying to get the 039 for 3k which hasnít worked out. Think another 50-100 would do it.
    No problem.

    You may well have done. You should have kept the 001. :-)

    I snagged a new SLA039 at £3500 so a huge saving over the £6050 retail. That's your target price for an SLA039, or possibly a bit less used if you're lucky. Condition is important of course

    I have always liked an SBDX001 but the SLA021 is to me one of the best dive watches available today. It's well built, but it is stunning visually.

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,693
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    The SLA039 retailed at £6050.
    I suppose this goes back to me having been out of the hobby for fifteen years, but the watch world is now full of prices that, try as I might, I find pretty baffling. I can't really grok paying £3,000 or £6,000 for a Seiko diver no matter how nice, or how limited in supply.

  25. #25
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    18,226
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    No problem.

    You may well have done. You should have kept the 001. :-)

    I snagged a new SLA039 at £3500 so a huge saving over the £6050 retail. That's your target price for an SLA039, or possibly a bit less used if you're lucky. Condition is important of course

    I have always liked an SBDX001 but the SLA021 is to me one of the best dive watches available today. It's well built, but it is stunning visually.
    I can live with the prospex logo on the 021 and even hunt for one without the lume addition at 3 oíclock but not the gold seconds hand unfortunately.

    Iíll give it a few hours and probably end up caving on the 039 although one of the reviews on YouTube had one with a misaligned chapter ring so I need to double check that first. Criminal on anything over 1k.

  26. #26
    Master gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,612
    That 39 is the first Seiko diver to tempt me in a long time, looks lovely.

  27. #27
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    15,410
    I quite like it but donít like the price or the claimed accuracy.

    My SPB143 loses about ten seconds per day which I find irritating but acceptable for a watch that cost me £600.

    At three grand, Iíd expect something approaching COSC levels of accuracy.

  28. #28
    Master Toshk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,104
    I didnít keep mine however I must admit to be the best built watch Iíd handled before and since. Especially the bezel. Dial colour is amazing. Timekeeping was +2 if I remember correctly.

  29. #29
    Craftsman namzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I didnít keep mine however I must admit to be the best built watch Iíd handled before and since. Especially the bezel. Dial colour is amazing. Timekeeping was +2 if I remember correctly.
    High praise indeed.

    Which model did you have, if you donít mind me asking?

  30. #30
    Master Toshk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,104
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    High praise indeed.

    Which model did you have, if you donít mind me asking?
    SLA039

  31. #31
    I agree with others that the SLA039 is the best looking MM. Sadly, I just donít enjoy watches that large.

    I wish theyíd release those colours on a smaller version of the MM case, such as the SLA057 or SPB155. I would happily pony up for one of those.

  32. #32
    Craftsman namzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    SLA039
    Thanks,

    Had a look and like others have said, seems a bit of a beast size wise.

  33. #33
    Master Toshk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,104
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Thanks,

    Had a look and like others have said, seems a bit of a beast size wise.
    Yeah. You need to like big watches to pull this off.

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    282
    SLA021 is obviously the bottom watch in the picture, but what are the two other watches? Is it SLA039 in the middle? Looks more black than dark blue though.

    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I can only agree with Wiley and Tony here, and the comment about Seiko running out of ideas.

    This is all about churning out watches but embarrassingly, using the word Marinemaster to help sales.

    My opinion is this. At £2990 retail it's more expensive than an SLA021 at £2820 retail. This new model Dark Water Marinemaster (so the black dial model) looks very bland when compared to the 021, or any other 300m Marinemaster for that matter.

    This is the important bit. It's embarrassing seeing Marinemaster on the dial. They are no Marinemaster by looks, size, depth rating, weight or anything else for that matter.

    Give me an SLA021 any day. I love my 021.


    Last edited by juusom; 25th November 2023 at 08:23.

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,045
    I have limited knowledge of Seiko and am often confused by all their model numbers! I can see they are trying to make the MM more appealing to the masses with a potentially more wearable size, but that price and movement accuracy doesn't quite compete in my mind, regardless of the model name, which clearly has followers.

    Then you can go for something like this, which appears more in line with the original?

    https://www.francisandgaye.co.uk/sei...-p31544/s38178

  36. #36
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    6,733
    Quote Originally Posted by juusom View Post
    SLA021 is obviously the bottom watch in the picture, but what are the two other watches? Is it SLA039 in the middle? Looks more black than dark blue though.
    It's the SLA021 front, then the SLA039 and an SBBN045 in the background.

    It was a photo taken in poor light so there's not much chance of seeing that lovely blue dial on the 039 in all its glory, unfortunately.

  37. #37
    Master Toshk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,104
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    It's the SLA021 front, then the SLA039 and an SBBN045 in the background.

    It was a photo taken in poor light so there's not much chance of seeing that lovely blue dial on the 039 in all its glory, unfortunately.
    Stunning! Imo the best blue dial ever.

  38. #38
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    36,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Stunning! Imo the best blue dial ever.
    Seriously?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information