closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Motorbility

Motorbility

Having never joined the scheme, though been able to for 23 years I'm toying with the idea? My old Lexus is still going strong, but fancy something newer. Do I take the plunge and sign up for 3 years, or go shopping for a second hand Lexus RX450h. Motorbility do have very few SUV's I need a high car for getting in and out. Welcome thoughts or do others use or know the scheme.

i know a few ppl that get it, they buy their own motor and pocket the money , at least you own the thing.
    i guess it somewhat depends on whether you want to impress the neighbours with a new car outside :)

My wife has a Motability car (Audi Q2). It is a great scheme but the choice is getting more limited.

I have a RX450h and I know which car I'd rather drive!

Thanks for your comments chaps, you can see me quandary. I'm not fussed on a new car, never owned one. A nice tidy low mileage RX450 would do me a treat, I've 10k and my old RX400 to part ex if I can find one with circa 60k Mileage, the second hand market does seem to be returning to some sort of normality.

Hi hope you are well .

Having being a dealer participating in the scheme.

the best way to look at it is

Will your PIP / DLA vehicle contribution payment (element) be equal to the following costs if you buy outright (depreciation , insurance, servicing , tyres) and also factor in 3 years roadside assist.

Its a very heavily subsidised scheme and works far more favourably for most than buying.

Sorry just to add worth looking at Toyota Bz4X then no fuel costs either and Golf club friendly
    Last edited by TKH; 15th November 2023 at 14:42.

Master
    I’ve just got a 10 year extension to my pip and I’m considering it myself it’s just the choice I’ve currently a 208 coming up to two years it’s the gt model auto but I’m waiting to see if the hybrid joins the scheme in January.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Hi hope you are well .

Having being a dealer participating in the scheme.

the best way to look at it is

Will your PIP / DLA vehicle contribution payment (element) be equal to the following costs if you buy outright (depreciation , insurance, servicing , tyres) and also factor in 3 years roadside assist.

Its a very heavily subsidised scheme and works far more favourably for most than buying.

Sorry just to add worth looking at Toyota Bz4X then no fuel costs either and Golf club friendly
    Thanks for the heads up on the Toyota, I fancied the Rav 4 but sadly not on the scheme. As you say, very few of the cars are golf club friendly!

Master
    My wife has an Audi Q4 E-tron 45 arriving late January 2024 through the motability scheme. This has the recent AP550 upgrade electric motor with 286bhp , (80 bhp increase over the old E-tron 40) and 550 Nm peak torque. To lease the car privately over 3 years would have cost her an extra £11000 minimum, notwithstanding that she is allowed double the mileage allowance (20000/year), all maintenance/service/tyres included plus insurance for up to 3 drivers .
    Last edited by genesos; 15th November 2023 at 21:16.

I would assume that if you can find the right car, then the scheme is going to be by far the best option.

A friend’s missus is on the scheme and had a Hyundai SUV, but is now looking at its replacement.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post
    My wife has an Audi Q4 E-tron 45 arriving late January 2024 through the motability scheme. This has the recent AP550 upgrade electric motor with 286bhp , (80 bhp increase over the old E-tron 40) and 550 Nm peak torque. To lease the car privately over 3 years would have cost her an extra £11000 minimum, notwithstanding that she is allowed double the mileage allowance (20000/year), all maintenance/service/tyres included plus insurance for up to 3 drivers .
    I'm guessing a bus like that would be wanting an arm and a leg of a deposit ??
    Can you enlighten us ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I considered it this year but in the end preffered to buy a car with 6 years warranty.

It just seemed to make more sense especially as there is at least a 6 month lead time and no guarantee.

Reason war in Ukraine and electrical chips or so I was told.

Motorbility

Major benefit of Motorbility is that you can add high risk family members onto the car insurance for next to nothing. As they are the ones driving the disabled person around, or at least that is the theory.

Let’s just say my brother has a pretty terrible risk profile, and lives in a very high risks area, but can use my Dads Motorbility as if it is his own car. Otherwise he would be fairly uninsurable in his own right, or it would cost him an arm and a leg.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I considered it this year but in the end preffered to buy a car with 6 years warranty.

It just seemed to make more sense especially as there is at least a 6 month lead time and no guarantee.

Reason war in Ukraine and electrical chips or so I was told.
    Not sure what you mean about no warranty, it is the same as any lease or pch, if the car breaks down a hire car is supplied until fixed.
    You can select a Kia with 7 year warranty under Motability, or Hyundai with 5 year, but as the lease is normally for 3 years it is irrelevant as Motability terms are required to keep you with transport for the agreed period.

There are a lot of models ie MG, Vauxhall, Kia, Mustang Mach E, Hyundai Ioniq 6 and 5 available to pickup within 4 days ( Motability need minimum 4 days from order to pickup )
    Last edited by genesos; 16th November 2023 at 21:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure what you mean about no warranty, it is the same as any lease or pch, if the car breaks down a hire car is supplied until fixed.
    You can select a Kia with 7 year warranty under Motability, or Hyundai with 5 year, but as the lease is normally for 3 years it is irrelevant as Motability terms are required to keep you with transport for the agreed period.

There are a lot of models ie MG, Vauxhall, Kia, Mustang Mach E, Hyundai Ioniq 6 and 5 available to pickup within 4 days ( Motability need minimum 4 days from order to pickup )
    No guarantee when it will arrive is what I was saying.

There was nothing avaiable short term that suited my needs if anything when I asked.

If lucky you can extend the lease but not promised.

Ive bought an almost new,not even broken in mileage 2023 car that I like a lot.

£700 gave me an extra 3 years warranty.

I am rubbish at maths but it worked out much better (for me) than the motability scheme.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Let’s just say my brother has a pretty terrible risk profile, and lives in a very high risks area, but can use my Dads Motorbility as if it is his own car. Otherwise he would be fairly uninsurable in his own right, or it would cost him an arm and a leg.
    I suspect that this kind of use is against the rules..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Agree, but probably like his EV charging 'solution', he doesn't care much for others, or rules.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    ... would be wanting an arm and a leg ... ??
    ISWYDT

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Agree, but probably like his EV charging 'solution', he doesn't care much for others, or rules.
    How about seeing it as a smart F off to the insurance companies??

They are a legalised extortion and anything you can do to get around them whilst staying properly covered on the road should be applauded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

think i need to explain a bit more why the people i know take the money and buy their own car -

if you get the mobility scheme as part of your PIP payment then it can be re assessed at any time ( dont be lulled into a sense of security when they send you an 'x' year award letter - you can be called in at any time and if you fail the medical for the higher end of travel thats it mobility scheme gone ).

once you get over pension age you cant apply for the mobility scheme - it switches to attendance allowance (which has no mobilty scheme component)

i know of multiple people that have been called in for medicals that were over the pension age and on the mobility scheme , they lost it and could not re apply.

It is against the rules.

Motability are wise to this and will request a tracker to be fitted to the car if they suspect the vehicle is not being used for the benefit of the claimant. They also restrict drivers with certain endorsements on their licence.

That's not to say the car cannot be used by another driver, it can. But there are rules to prevent it simply being used and abused by a named driver.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I assume the guys who are motability qualifying but choose to buy their own car are aware of zero road tax facility?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    think i need to explain a bit more why the people i know take the money and buy their own car -

if you get the mobility scheme as part of your PIP payment then it can be re assessed at any time ( dont be lulled into a sense of security when they send you an 'x' year award letter - you can be called in at any time and if you fail the medical for the higher end of travel thats it mobility scheme gone ).

once you get over pension age you cant apply for the mobility scheme - it switches to attendance allowance (which has no mobilty scheme component)

i know of multiple people that have been called in for medicals that were over the pension age and on the mobility scheme , they lost it and could not re apply.
    I hadn’t realised the scheme could be removed so easily, that’s an eye opener for sure. Equally the pension age limit or changes, that can really screw someone up. Wow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I assume the guys who are motability qualifying but choose to buy their own car are aware of zero road tax facility?
    Also certain cars have a first year high tax cost which is also reduced to zero..This is if buying new of course.
    Last edited by Enoch; 17th November 2023 at 15:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I wasnt for a few years.

Motorbility

I don’t believe so. I understand that the fully able person can use the car at their discretion as long as they ferry the less able person around periodically, which my brother does.

And if it is breaking the rules, it is not me breaking them.

My dad has had Motorbility for 30 years and I have to say Motorbility have never checked anything, ever. As long as you pay on time they don’t really care, whatever the small print says.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 17th November 2023 at 16:54.

Master
    The rules on the Motobility site are quite clear.

This is rule number 1

“How you cannot use your car

We take misuse of your car very seriously. This means things like:

Not using it for the disabled person’s benefit”

The rules also state that the vehicle should be kept at the claimants address.

There is also a section where misuse can be reported. So feel free.

Last edited by Enoch; 17th November 2023 at 18:37.

Motorbility

My father benefits from the car, as my brother ferries him around as and when necessary. Feels like that box is ticked.

But I am not going to argue the case either way as it has little to do with me. My point is not to be surprised that rules get stretched a little.

The Government subsidised Cycle scheme says that the bike/accessories should be predominantly used for cycling to work. I actually follow the rules on this one as I cycle to work.

Thousands, if not hundreds of others use it as a tax dodge to buy high end bikes or components not used for work. Should they all be dobbed in for not just stretching, but clearly breaking the rules?
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 17th November 2023 at 18:55.

Master
    You claimed that your brother could “use the car as his own” That is clearly against the rules and certainly not in the spirit of the scheme.

If he is doing this and someone reports him your dad could lose the car.

Motorbility

You claimed that your brother could “use the car as his own” That is clearly against the rules and certainly not in the spirit of the scheme.

If he is doing this and someone reports him your dad could lose the car.
    OK. And so is using the Cyclescheme (as an up to £5k tax dodge) every year to buy high end bike or accessories when you have no intent of using to to cycle to work as per the scheme rules.

Dont be too worried the stretching the rules happens all over the place.

Not knocking you, so please don’t take this personally, but there is always a tendency to knock the working class if the rules are stretched, but seen as acceptable to the middle class.

As an example I had a colleague brag to me that he only activates his 8 day in 28 season pass on the train if he spots the conductor walking through, and most of time get me free commute to London. By any standards he is very well off.

I have no doubt that said colleague would whinge about stretching the rules of Motorbility in the working class.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 17th November 2023 at 19:20.

Master
    OK. And so is using the Cyclescheme (as an up to £5k tax dodge) every year to buy high end bike or accessories when you have no intent of using to to cycle to work as per the scheme rules.

Dont be too worried the stretching the rules happens all over the place.
    Isn’t that a whataboutism?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Isn’t that a whataboutism?
    A what? :)

Master

I have no doubt that said colleague would whinge about stretching the rules of Motorbility in the working class.
    Just to be clear, access to the Motability scheme is not means tested or restricted to the "working class". Anyone can qualify with the necessary award level, and PIP for example is not a means tested benefit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One thing no one has pointed out, I am sure if Lemmy was still with us he would be using the Motorbility scheme rather than the Motability scheme.

Master
    Just to be clear, access to the Motability scheme is not means tested or restricted to the "working class". Anyone can qualify with the necessary award level, and PIP for example is not a means tested benefit.
    It seems a very odd benefit. In lots of cases it provides relatively wealthy individuals with brand new luxury cars.

I know, but I had explained the situation in a post well above.

Motorbility

As above it’s not means tested. Ultimately you’re using part of your benefits to lease a car, and as Motability are (I believe) the largest lease company in the UK - even Europe perhaps - they get excellent lease deals due to their scale and buying power.
    Last edited by RobDad; 17th November 2023 at 22:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I'm guessing a bus like that would be wanting an arm and a leg of a deposit ??
    Can you enlighten us ?
    I don’t know about that particular E-tron but my BiL is looking at one and says it would cost him about 4k.