closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First purchase for 10 years

First purchase for 10 years

I haven't bought a watch for 10 years, and pruned the collection down to a single watch - a tiny 1930s Eterna - about 5 years ago. That and a Garmin have been my only watches ever since, very happily.

And then my interest was piqued by the new 39mm Tudor Ranger. I'm liking the trend for watches getting smaller again, 36 - 38mm seems about right to me, and I like the simplicity of the Ranger dial.

But in the end it just seems too much money for what it is.

So I ended up with this instead, and *man* I'm glad I did. It's a beauty. So much nicer in the flesh than it appears online. Great dial, easily good enough movement, expensive but not madly so, and the size - both diameter and lug to lug - is perfect. This has completely assuaged any Ranger lust. The Hamilton 38mm Murph does it for me (once it's off the supplied strap, which is the only thing about it I don't like).

So, now I have a two watch collection, and that's how it will remain for at least the next 5 years or so...

Master
    Blog Entries
    A very nice choice.

I was looking at a somewhat similar Seiko the other day:

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Seiko-P...1J1/p/18280085

but I think the Hamilton is a nicer design in several ways, particularly as it has no pesky date window.

Not having a date was an essential for me, these watches are all about elegant simplicity on the dial I reckon. Hamilton have completely nailed it here, in a way I don't think they ever quite have before.

Great choice, big Hamilton fan here.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Really good choice-I recently had one and it's a great watch.

Master
    Really like those, but honestly I think a leather strap would suit it better.

It's going to get a lot of strap changes. Looks great on a dark brown Toshi, and on a vintage green canvas. But I quite like it on this no-name rubber strap too, and I will be wearing it hiking, so something like this is quite practical too.

A very good choice, classic looks and a robust movement. I rather like Hami's, though only have the one at the moment. Would like to add a Ventura at some point - something a little different.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Good choice OP, enjoy. What movement is in these?

Quote Originally Posted by iml View Post
    Cheers. How are you finding timekeeping?

Master
    Nice one. Is it the larger or smaller Murph.

It's the 38mm. It seems good timekeeping wise. Haven't tested its daily +/- seconds variation but it's still dead on with the hour and minutes on my phone after a few days, so it seems well within spec.

Congrats OP. I think you'll be very pleased with you new watch.

I bought mine almost a year ago (25 Nov) and it has become one of my most worn watches - I am actually wearing it right now as I type. It is very accurate, reasonably sized, reasonably priced (compared to most Swiss watches), understated yet very handsome with the old school printed dial/cathedral hands. It works on almost any strap. I wear mine most of the time on an Erika's Original Havana Mokka strap.

Master
    Really like the look of these. I have always insisted on a date function and have grown very used to larger size watches (42-44mm) despite my modest wrist size. It would be a leap of faith and hope I get used to it if I went 38mm no-date. Perhaps the 42mm would suit better, but for this style of watch it may be too much.

It might be my imagination but I thought I'd read about Hamilton not commonly using AR coatings??? How is this one for reflections?

Master
    Lovely piece, simple and clean. Hamilton make some cracking watches.

Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Really like the look of these. I have always insisted on a date function and have grown very used to larger size watches (42-44mm) despite my modest wrist size. It would be a leap of faith and hope I get used to it if I went 38mm no-date. Perhaps the 42mm would suit better, but for this style of watch it may be too much.

It might be my imagination but I thought I'd read about Hamilton not commonly using AR coatings??? How is this one for reflections?
    It's amazing what you can get used to. Like you, I have worn larger watches for many years but have now cleared out all my 44 and 42mm watches. I am currently really enjoying my 36mm Explorer which just fits perfectly, and makes my Pelagos 39 feel like a monster. I had the 38mm Murph and it wears like a dream.

Congratulations on your new watch.

I think these field type watches work out really expensive when you realise how good the watch looks with so many straps! Don’t look at the chevron straps at Crown & Buckle.

In answer to a question above, the crystal is a bit more reflective than some watches I've had. Not a problem for me, it's always readable, but worth noting.

Congrats OP it looks great, will be heading to Hamilton for a browse! Also looks like a total strap monster so really versatile. A great choice for your two watch collection. I usually take my Fortis B42 into the hills, be great to see some shots outdoors or maybe in the ‘tool watches being hardy’ thread! Does it work on a nato out of interest?

Congrats again and enjoy
    Jon
    Last edited by FellBasher; 16th November 2023 at 22:47.

Craftsman
    Never knew about this one and like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by FellBasher View Post
    ... Does it work on a nato out of interest?
    Seems to work on just about every strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post

That is one heck of a cracking combination!

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post

Thanks for taking the time to post Saxon007, some great pictures, this watch is really growing on me. It looks like it has the same qualities as the Speedy for strap versatility!

Master
    Blog Entries
    A thing about this that I like is the crown. It’s slightly large, but not too large. Great watch design results from paying attention to all these small details, until they add up to something that feels just right.

Two weeks on and I still love it. Accuracy is spot on to the minute, it hasn't drifted at all.

Looking good on a green Strap Tailor

Thanks for posting these, it looks a stunning watch. It’s strange as I tried one on in Ernest Jones in the summer and wasn’t overly impressed. Maybe it was the OEM strap that made it look a bit formal. Maybe my expectations were too high. I’m very jealous of yours though.

Lovely legible watch - enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks for posting these, it looks a stunning watch. It’s strange as I tried one on in Ernest Jones in the summer and wasn’t overly impressed. Maybe it was the OEM strap that made it look a bit formal. Maybe my expectations were too high. I’m very jealous of yours though.
    The strap it comes on does it no favours. I discarded it immediately but then about a week ago I gave it a try for a couple of days, just to make sure. It was underwhelming.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iml View Post
    The strap it comes on does it no favours. I discarded it immediately but then about a week ago I gave it a try for a couple of days, just to make sure. It was underwhelming.
    Short-sighted when manufacturers cheap out on the strap, or don't put thought into providing one that shows a watch to its best advantage! It can make such a difference, and would sell watches for them if done right.

It’s such an easy thing to get right but so many get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    Short-sighted when manufacturers cheap out on the strap, or don't put thought into providing one that shows a watch to its best advantage! It can make such a difference, and would sell watches for them if done right.