closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dog harnesses for walking

Dog harnesses for walking

I have these two adorable dachshund both different sizes.

I’m struggling to find a suitable size harness to walk them in. They are either too tight or too lose and they simply fall out of them.

Anyone recommend a website that tailored to this type of field. Pets at home or other pet shops don’t seem to have the right sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing productive to add but two beautiful dogs there.

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

I’m struggling to find a suitable size harness to walk them in. They are either too tight or too lose and they simply fall out of them.

Anyone recommend a website that tailored to this type of field. Pets at home or other pet shops don’t seem to have the right sizes.

Gorgeous pair! 

For my last very small dog, a miniature Jack Russell Terrier, I had a similar issue and tried all sorts of harnesses from pets at home but nothing really fitted properly.

Not sure if you’re in Keswick much, but the independent pet shop near Booths seemed to have a good selection of smaller harnesses and I took her in there and tried a few on until I found one that fitted. A lot of harness manufacturers seem to use the same materials even in the smallest sizes, so it ends up fitting like a stiff cage rather than conforming to the dogs shape. The one that I got was branded ‘DOG Copenhagen’, and it’s a very soft conforming fabric. It’s the only harness she was ever happy in.

Not sure if yours are ‘escape artists’ but mine was and I found the harnesses with a third ‘belly’ strap were more secure, but she was a girl dog and I notice yours are boys so that might not work so well.

EDIT: Didn’t realise the shop had a website, but this is the exact one I purchased; https://www.podgypaws.co.uk/shop/dog...t-pro-harness/
    Last edited by Tooks; 11th November 2023 at 11:59. Reason: Added web link

No experience myself but some people walk cats - might those harnesses fit?

Edit: - Or even rabbit!

Last edited by Kingstepper; 11th November 2023 at 12:16.

We have a parsons JR and we’ve found Dog Copenhagen to be the best. Fully adjustable and washable.

The design keeps the shoulders free so he can walk properly. Some designs have a strap across the breast bone so it restricts movement and cause issues later in life.

Our terrier mix has a couple of identical harnesses from a German brand called Niggeloh and we've been very pleased with them.

https://www.niggeloh.de/en/home.html

This one:

A quick Google image search indicates that they have models that fit dachshunds.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sca_...bih=1067&dpr=1
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    I feel your pain, if looking at cat harnesses we found most were still too large for our latest addition, we found one in pets corner who offer a try and exchange process.
    However once he's bigger the wife's looking at Pablo and Co, Messi pups and a few others.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    I feel your pain, if looking at cat harnesses we found most were still too large for our latest addition, we found one in pets corner who offer a try and exchange process.
    However once he's bigger the wife's looking at Pablo and Co, Messi pups and a few others.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk
    Gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Useful thread OP as we are having the same trouble with our little man. We may have enough dachshund’s on TZ to warrant their own picture thread!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    We use perfect fit for our dogs, the back piece and chest sections are seperate so you can swap out the components if and when you run out of adjustment

Journeyman
    Here they are https://perfect-fit-dog-harness.com/harness.html

Another vote for perfect fit.

Good quality, accurate sizing, front and back attachment points

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Used to use puppia on my small dog, worked great easy on off and good lead placement.

Just curious, but what's the advantage of a harness vs a collar?

We have a harness for our Labrador, but it's for the car & the straps have seat belt buckle fittings.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Just curious, but what's the advantage of a harness vs a collar?

We have a harness for our Labrador, but it's for the car & the straps have seat belt buckle fittings.
    they are generally better as they spread the pressure instead of the collar. I had a Weimaraner who was hopeless on a lead and pulled a lot (despite training) and there is a danger that they actually hurt themselves in the process. For bigger dogs I've found the harness gives you a bit more control, also a handy thing to hold them by when required.

For smaller dogs its similar; Dash's are also prone to spinal issues so should be discouraged from too much jumping up (not related to the harness issue); I'm not sure if the 'collar pulling' impacts on this too.

I'm sure someone will appear with a more comprehensive; and probably better, answer!

Big fan of Perfect Fit here too - ideal for whippets as they can back out of most standard harnesses, but when a harness is sized right they are stuck with it.

All I will say is that it’s important to get actual measurements from your dogs before ordering, guesstimating is not the way (ask me how I know…).

I dog sit Frank now and again and was trying to get his owner to switch from a collar to a harness. Daxis can be stubborn, both rushing ahead and staying put, so a harness is just better for them.

Here he is wishing he or the chair was taller so he could see out of the window.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

We have two miniature dachshunds and have always bought the Puppia harnesses (both wear a small).