closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm waterproof winter jacket?

Master

Warm waterproof winter jacket?

My old battered Northface jacket has finally come to an end so looking for a new warm, waterproof jacket for winter dog walking. I know there's been quite a few posts on the subject but mines slightly different. What I'm after is a jacket that can stand up to crashing through trees without being torn, been sat on on wet muddy ground, scrapes against rocks, getting a dirty knife wiped against it etc. In other words a hard wearing jacket that's going to get used and abused. Must be waterproof and have a hood. I'm not after a fancy looking thing that I can walk around Keswick, Ambleside etc with all the tourists as I already have plenty of those😁

I had decided on a Deerhunter Muflon Light but thought I'd ask the TZ hive mind before pulling the trigger. Budget is around 200 to 250.

Thanks all.

Master
    I have a Jack Wolfskin parka that Ive had for years now.
    Nice and warm, plenty of pockets etc but most importantly, waterproof.
    Mainly used for standing on freezing touchlines watching Saturday morning football. Also looks quite smart when needed.

^^^ lol ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    My old battered Northface jacket has finally come to an end so looking for a new warm, waterproof jacket for winter dog walking. I know there's been quite a few posts on the subject but mines slightly different. What I'm after is a jacket that can stand up to crashing through trees without being torn, been sat on on wet muddy ground, scrapes against rocks, getting a dirty knife wiped against it etc. In other words a hard wearing jacket that's going to get used and abused.
    Im amazed your TNF survived more than a few weeks given the level of punishment, and fashion brand nature.

But, if it did do you good, why not just rinse and repeat?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Im amazed your TNF survived more than a few weeks given the level of punishment, and fashion brand nature.

Probably because it wasnt a fashion brand when he got it and they made decent stuff. As you say Buying something similar from them today is unlikely to last as long.

I like Fjllrven stuff which does last but would be over the OPs budget.

Would something like this be any good to you, new for 199 euro, wear a fleece or jersey beneath as required, the cut's generous to allow layering and the tailoring for movement is excellent....There's no Mil or any other branding eternally on the one I bought, I like that personally, although may be not for everyone. Carinthia have an excellent reputation and produce wet/ cold weather gear for special forces. The price for the quality for me, refreshing.

https://www.outdoors.ee/en/products/...re-tex-jacket/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

My TNF jacket is from before the fashion era, back when they were more of a proper outdoor clothing company. Not buying another ones due to the quality being degraded somewhat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Would something like this be any good to you, new for 199 euro, wear a fleece or jersey beneath as required, the cut's generous to allow layering and the tailoring for movement is excellent....There's no Mil or any other branding eternally on the one I bought, I like that personally, although may be not for everyone. Carinthia have an excellent reputation and produce wet/ cold weather gear for special forces. The price for the quality for me, refreshing.

https://www.outdoors.ee/en/products/...re-tex-jacket/
    Not a bad shout but didn't really want to layer up, more of a grab and go with just a t-shirt underneath.
    Thanks for the link though👍

Not a bad shout but didn't really want to layer up, more of a grab and go with just a t-shirt underneath.
    Thanks for the link though
    No problemo.

Master
    Thanks for the link though👍
    Canada Goose then? Maybe not a new one, but lightly used should be well within budget. People on here have commented how warm they are for UK weather in the past so ideal for a t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Canada Goose then? Maybe not a new one, but lightly used should be well within budget. People on here have commented how warm they are for UK weather in the past so ideal for a t-shirt.
    Presumably you mean one of their ubiquitous parkas? Down parkas and jackets are useless as a waterproof. They wouldn't last more than a few mins on a British cold rainy day.

Designed for low precipitation freezing continental winters, not cold maritime rainy weather.

Fashion accessory that is useful for a few days per year when it is really cold and dry. I have a similar down parka and it gets used so infrequently it still looks new after 5 years of ownership.

If you want waterproof and insulation, I would go for a mix of synthetic primaloft (better for wet weather) and good waterproof fabric like goretex or competitor offerings which can be just as good, if you need to keep the price down.

Loads of offerings on the market when you google.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 10th November 2023 at 14:15.

I picked up a Fjallraven Greenland Down Jacket earlier in the year, while on offer at the top end of your budget. Not had a chance to try it in heavy rain yet (and wax it up) but in terms of comfort and build, its feels very well made so far!

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/fjaellr...0Down%20jacket

Fjallraven are fabulous but not that great in the rain. More for proper Swedish winter weather.
    Passengers Carinthia is the best suggestion I have seen yet. Even more considering the budget.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Fjallraven are fabulous but not that great in the rain. More for proper Swedish winter weather.
    Passengers Carinthia is the best suggestion I have seen yet. Even more considering the budget.
    I mentioned Fjallraven above but over budget. Ive got one of these

https://www.fjallraven.com/uk/en-gb/...a7323450789190

Very warm and waterproof- wore it in driving rain in Iceland and kept me dry and warm!

Master
    Blog Entries
    You could do a lost worse than getting one of these:

https://swazi.co.nz/products/windriv...43456123895993

I've had one for the best part of 20 years. It's not lined, but because it's totally windproof it keeps you warm anyway.

Keep thinking I'd like to get a new one but the bloody thing won't wear out.

These are good vfm handled them
    Today and theyve got them in black

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...en-32237-p.asp

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    You could do a lost worse than getting one of these:

https://swazi.co.nz/products/windriv...43456123895993

I've had one for the best part of 20 years. It's not lined, but because it's totally windproof it keeps you warm anyway.

Keep thinking I'd like to get a new one but the bloody thing won't wear out.
    OP specified waterproof . That isnt

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    OP specified waterproof . That isnt
    Could have fooled me. Ive been out in some filthy conditions in mine and stayed dry.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    Could have fooled me. I’ve been out in some filthy conditions in mine and stayed dry.
    Fair enough but even they say it will leak through the seams. Plenty of others that are waterproof though

https://swazi.co.nz/collections/mens-jackets-waterproof

I can recommend the Arc'teryx Therm Parka. Waterproof, windproof and lovely and warm. It's expensive but will last!

Dog walks are nice and tostie.

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/therme-sv-parka

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I can recommend the Arc'teryx Therm Parka. Waterproof, windproof and lovely and warm. It's expensive but will last!

Dog walks are nice and tostie.

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/therme-sv-parka

Very nice coat!

Overkill for walking the mutt I guess, but equally does one really need a 600m dive watch for a dip in the pool!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Very nice coat!

Overkill for walking the mutt I guess, but equally does one really need a 600m dive watch for a dip in the pool!

I wear mine to the pub as well as dog walking. :-)

Master
    I have something similar to this, bought it from the Trespass Outlet and its been a great coat. Super warm being windproof and super waterproof (rated at 20000mm if that means anything). Nice price too and in the BF sale at the moment. If you have a store nearby, worth a look.

https://www.trespass.com/mens-padded...ze_legacy=XXXL

Master
    Take a look at didriksons, they do a range of coats including waterproof parkas that are all in the 100-500 range (and mostly at the lower end of that price range)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Your needs are quite demanding i.e. waterproof, robust and insulated. Normally you'd get waterproof and robust with layering to provide the insulation. However you have said you prefer an all in one.

Based on this Is suggest you look at some of the tactical clothing from Keela or Snugpak. You may find a lot of it is camo but I don't know if that bothers you. The alternative is to look at stuff for shooting especially for beaters as their gear gets a real hammering but you may struggle with the insulation side as most of those I know prefer to layer

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Always a fine selection on SportsPursuit.

You can filter for price/brand/size etcScreenshot_2023-11-10-19-05-33-239_com.android.chrome.jpg

Warm waterproof winter jacket?

This would meet your requirements.

Rab Valiance: Tough, waterproof and insulated.

https://www.tauntonleisure.com/cloth...eep-ink__15391

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone read the original post?

Some bullet points:

• Waterproof
    • Warm
    • Rugged and tough as nails
    • Up to 250

Some of the suggestions are laughable. 750 Arc'teryx parka? He wants to run through brambles, not down the Champs-lyses.

How about something from Hoggs of Fife:

https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/mens/o.../country-sport

Look pretty good value.

Edit: Realised I got the name comically wrong ��
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 11th November 2023 at 00:13.

Craftsman

Cool

LL Bean makes one that fits description, and the price is right.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1248...&sku=undefined

I have that Rab Valliance. It is indeed waterproof and warm. Was about 150 on SportsPursuit last year

However, the throat guard comes up over the chin and my stubble has rubbed the facing material terribly.

Will probably have to get something put over it in the end. Bit rubbish

As Onelasttime stated, I would definitely recommend Hoggs of Fife, if you want the "country" look. I have a few of their winter jackets, and wear them a lot. For a more modern look maybe Rab with Pertex Shield outer, and down filling. I have two and love them

A
    Last edited by aamaci; 10th November 2023 at 23:11.

Master
    Thanks very much for all the suggestions, got a few to research now. It is more of a beaters jacket I'm after as some of the places I go with the dog are pretty harsh on jackets. Off to look at the suggestions....thanks again.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Always a fine selection on SportsPursuit.

You can filter for price/brand/size etcScreenshot_2023-11-10-19-05-33-239_com.android.chrome.jpg

+1.

I bought my Helly Hansen parka there for under 200 and it's been brilliant in terms of waterproofing and being windproof.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    This Barbour (https://www.barbour.com/uk/catalog/p...t/category/90/) which is waterproof, quilted inside and not waxed. I have something similar and have found it pretty good in the weatherproof, warm and robust sense so far.

JL have 25% off Barbour at the moment so it is 201 https://www.johnlewis.com/barbour-in...sky/p110826741

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would suggest snugpak torrent for a waterproof and insulated option that can take a battering.

https://snugpak.com/collections/clot...42604936495276

Master
    Thanks again all, I'm off to Keswick on Monday with the dog so will call into one of the shops that sells the Deerhunter Muflon Light and also the Ridgeline Torrent 3 which both seem to fit the bill.
    Thanks again.

Thanks again all, I'm off to Keswick on Monday with the dog so will call into one of the shops that sells the Deerhunter Muflon Light and also the Ridgeline Torrent 3 which both seem to fit the bill.
    Thanks again.
    You have great shops in the area but they are a touch on the pricey side

Journeyman

John Norris

Get yourself over to John Norris (Penrith)
    Country clothing retailer, who will have a great selection for you to try

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You have great shops in the area but they are a touch on the pricey side
    Some of them are extortionate, making money off all the tourists. If you know where to go though the prices are same as online (the one i use, and will be going to, has an online shop and an eBay shop😁).

Master
    Have you had a look at cragghoppers goretex parka. Had a few of their coats and decent quality.

Current go toos are a Rab goretex shell and several options to layer up.

I also have a jack wolfskin jacket that has served me very well indeed

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Some of them are extortionate, making money off all the tourists. If you know where to go though the prices are same as online (the one i use, and will be going to, has an online shop and an eBay shop😁).
    We go near Coniston lake camping with some mates, usually in late September. I need to remember to ask you for tips.

Blog Entries
    I'm more than happy with this:

https://www.musto.com/en_nl/m-marina...-1-parka-82355

I may add that I don't take the inner layer out.

I would highly recommend the Sherwood Forest “Kensington”
    I have it in a vest and a jacket for picking-up.
    I know us p/up’s are not very ‘thrashing thru the brambles’ but two of our beaters have
    the jacket and have no complaints.
    Check Vinted for some very bargainous prices.

If you could live without a hood I'd recommend the Triumph gore tex jacket I now use.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    If you could live without a hood I'd recommend the Triumph gore tex jacket I now use.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
    Cheers Gunner but a hood is a must, when I'm up a fell and the weather turns for the worst a hood is essential (to me anyway). Good old Cumbrian weather can be a bit harsh😁

Thanks again.
    I actually think your original option is about the best so far!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I actually think your original option is about the best so far!
    Yeah, the more I look at it the more I agree with you😁

Master
    Well, just incase anybody is interested I finally settled on a Deerhunter Pro Gamekeeper jacket. Seems to be just what I was after, time will tell how it holds up but if it's anything like their trousers I have then it should be good.

Well, just incase anybody is interested I finally settled on a Deerhunter Pro Gamekeeper jacket. Seems to be just what I was after, time will tell how it holds up but if it's anything like their trousers I have then it should be good.
    You obviously have experience with the brand and so may I ask, please, what swayed your choice to this one rather than the Muflon, your original option? I'd guess that it was the extra length but other factors may become apparent when you went to the shop.