closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Plus postage !

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Plus postage !

I have bought and sold many watches on here via sales corner , however I will avoid any sale post that says ‘ Plus postage ‘ simply not cricket
    In my book !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69 View Post
    I have bought and sold many watches on here via sales corner , however I will avoid any sale post that says ‘ Plus postage ‘ simply not cricket
    In my book !

So you dont buy anthing from any shop that requires you to pay the postage?

Craftsman

He said:

on here on the salescorner....
    Not really any room for debate...

Guillermo

Master
    FS Rolex 14060M head only.. £12,950.00 free postage.Sorry wrong forum.

postage might differ wildly if buyer is from other country and wants it by tomorrow instead of week by regular mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69 View Post
    In my book !
    Most SC sales include UK postage but there’s no hard and fast rule, particularly as values of a lot of watches now exceed RMSD insurance values.

If two people want to make a deal then it has to work for both parties, expecting the seller to pay all the postage costs won’t necessarily do that.

Plus postage !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If two people want to make a deal then it has to work for both parties, expecting the seller to pay all the postage costs won’t necessarily do that.
    It’s a forum chestnut and I may still be wrong but it is for the seller to choose the postage he is comfortable with as he is responsible for getting the watch to the buyer. And that includes insurance. There is nothing to stop him from factoring the cost in his price, so it is ALWAYS the buyer who effectively pays for postage.
    There is also nothing to stop the seller from saying “face to face only”.
    International purchases introduce a new level of complexity.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Not something that aggravates me much, and it's often the consequence of allowing the buyer to choose a postage method. As long as everything is open and transparent it's just part of the deal-making process. (It can also reflect the way in which postage costs are dealt with on many other forums.)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It’s a forum chestnut and I may still be wrong but it is for the seller to choose the postage he is comfortable with as he is responsible for getting the watch to the buyer. And that includes insurance. There is nothing to stop him from factoring the cost in his price, so it is ALWAYS the buyer who effectively pays for postage.
    There is also nothing to stop the seller from saying “face to face only”.
    International purchases introduce a new level of complexity.
    Agreed, it’s absolutely the sellers prerogative to select a delivery service that he’s comfortable with as it’s his responsibility to ensure the item gets to the buyer safely.

That doesn’t automatically make it the seller’s responsibility to pay for it.

Master
    Agreed, it’s absolutely the sellers prerogative to select a delivery service that he’s comfortable with as it’s his responsibility to ensure the item gets to the buyer safely.

That doesn’t automatically make it the seller’s responsibility to pay for it.
    Doing deals and negotiating prices is fine but strangely enough contradict the postal rules that are the law of the land.

You need to investigate the postal rules on who owns the liability and title of consignment and how the legality of a private deal can cause confusion and in some instances, a court case.

This subject is a minefield.

Best to do your own research than rely on what I say.

But of course it does, Dave. What do you think goes down best, watch £2000 plus £50 p&p, or £2050 all in?
    In both case the buyer will always pay postage, even if the seller is the one purchasing the actual postage. It needs to be this way as only whoever paid for the transport can claim and it is the seller’s responsibility.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Postage costs have leapt up dramatically in the last few years, which in light of the fact a lot of watches are already being sold at a stiff loss on here - often below market rates - then sellers are entitled to charge what they damn well like to get the watch safely to the front door of buyers: what price convenience, eh?

I've sold a few watches on here where the post cost more than the watch, albeit usually FF-fodder!

Still, anyone should feel free to shoot themselves in the foot dodging a well-priced watch they really want over a £10 postal cost...

Like that will ever actually happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Doing deals and negotiating prices is fine but strangely enough contradict the postal rules that are the law of the land.

You need to investigate the postal rules on who owns the liability and title of consignment and how the legality of a private deal can cause confusion and in some instances, a court case.

This subject is a minefield.

Best to do your own research than rely on what I say.
    You’ve completely lost me there Mick, how can negotiating a deal contradict postal rules and what postal rules are laws?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Postage is more expensive to some places.

In the summer when I ride my bike I have deliverd things I sold on a leisure ride out (for fun) and saved the buyer postage (sometimes in my car).

I have also met up for a coffee and saved them the postage and other times people have been passing come in for a coffee and a natter and again saved postage costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    But of course it does, Dave. What do you think goes down best, watch £2000 plus £50 p&p, or £2050 all in?
    In both case the buyer will always pay postage, even if the seller is the one purchasing the actual postage. It needs to be this way as only whoever paid for the transport can claim and it is the seller’s responsibility.
    Non of what you said contradicts my previous post Marc, and I agree with everything you’ve said there.

Who gives a monkeys about that except a few people who like to complain all day about everything, what is actually important is that description is honest and key info is not left out to try and benefit a sale. Such as missing manuals, links missing, if the warranty card is blank, the box being torn etc...

Master
    You’ve completely lost me there Mick, how can negotiating a deal contradict postal rules and what postal rules are laws?
    You are now identifying the problem !

Good luck with your research.

I will give you a clue.

1. Postal rules that are the law of the land.
    2. Negotiated deals that are legally enforceable.
    3. Insurance conditions.

Test is :- what happens if you buy a watch from me and it goes missing and who claims it.

My input finishes here.

For me, it depends on the value of the sales item, a £10 strap and I might ask postage, a £2k watch, probably not. If you want to be clinical about it, its determining a % of the sales item to postage ratio, £2 quid on a £10 strap is 20% of its value, a tenner on a £2k watch is negligible.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Plus postage !

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You are now identifying the problem !

Good luck with your research.

I will give you a clue.

1. Postal rules that are the law of the land.
    2. Negotiated deals that are legally enforceable.
    3. Insurance conditions.

Test is :- what happens if you buy a watch from me and it goes missing and who claims it.

My input finishes here.
    I don’t need clues Mick and this isn’t a quiz.

If you have something to say, just say it, I have neither the time or inclination to play your games.

Journeyman
    Postage is a cost that has to be paid one way or another. Prefer it specified and you know what is involved.

As above you need to agree whose liability and whose insuring.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Postage is more expensive to some places.

In the summer when I ride my bike I have deliverd things I sold on a leisure ride out (for fun) and saved the buyer postage (sometimes in my car).

I have also met up for a coffee and saved them the postage and other times people have been passing come in for a coffee and a natter and again saved postage costs.
    And in reality a f2f would probably have cost more than the post.
    But its not about that is it.Its a chance to meet a likeminded member and chat,but you also know the watch is handed over safely.
    So the petrol/drinks & eats have probably exceeded the rmsd cost.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    And in reality a f2f would probably have cost more than the post.
    But its not about that is it.Its a chance to meet a likeminded member and chat,but you also know the watch is handed over safely.
    So the petrol/drinks & eats have probably exceeded the rmsd cost.

Very true and often you learn something or get to see a watch youve always dreamed about.

Sometimes in the past when I've bought something off here I've added £7.50 for the postage to what the seller and I have agreed, just because they haven't mentioned it and it's only polite. I mean I could go and collect whatever it is...
    "A man of little significance"