closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Owners views - Root Beer GMT-Master II

Owners views - Root Beer GMT-Master II

I’m keep thinking about getting one of these, but I’m not sure I’ll bond with it enough to keep it.

I only kept the Rose Gold Yatch-Master I had for a short while, as it just felt too bling for me, in comparison with my usual “tool watch” preference.

I know we’re all different, but can I ask for owners / past owners to share their thoughts please?
    Last edited by andy tims; 7th November 2023 at 22:39.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

Owners views - Root Beer GMT-Master II

After a long wait for a sub I was offered this watch recently as an alternative and took up the offer.

It’s definitely a little more eye catching in my opinion than a sub or even the other steel GMT’s but the colours work really well.

As you said it’s going to be personal preference but I do think it’s a watch that’s absolutely stunning and one of the nicest Rolex do at the moment.

Last edited by Walts; 7th November 2023 at 23:00.

Blog Entries
    I had one and it was a lovely piece. I think I should have kept it really. The ceramic GMT bezel on these has a superb action.

It really is personal preference - I still have my RG YM. Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I’m also very tempted by one of these. However with my pale skin I’m wondering if it will look stupid lol

Master
    Anyone that has dealt with me on here knows I’ve had more than a few watches and don’t tend to keep them long.

However, I’ve had a root beer for the best part of two years and absolutely love it. There’s something special about it, the whole package comes together to create a great blend of robust sports watch with a slightly dressy feel through the rose gold. The gold is quite subdued in person and doesn’t shout out bling to me either.

The cream coloured plots and rose gold hands and indices makes a nice change to the colder white gold standard too.

You do have to accept that the centre links will develop a ‘patina’ of surface marks quite quickly though.

Master
    I was never a lover of two tone watches, although not a Rootbeer bought this last year and absolutely love it, just makes a change from the usual SS versions, a little dressy but not too blingy…..

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Rob153; 8th November 2023 at 11:31.

Master
    * Entirely commercial and dispassionate dealer view alert *

Wait until March 2024 and see if you still fancy one. I suspect it might save you a useful sum.

The market in this watch has "corrected" a long way from the madness it witnessed up to Feb'22, but I believe it has further "correction" due. Dealers are holding prices in the hope of Christmas buyers, but many of them desperately need cash-flow and so movement around February seems likely. Retailers all know there is still money looking to be spent in January.

In some quarters the colour of this watch --- and perhaps the difficulty of flushing one out of stock during the last 18 months --- has attracted the "Turdmaster" nickname. I do not believe this is a Marvel character but would avoid the film if it is.

The best steel and yellow 116713s may be worth considering at several thousand less.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 8th November 2023 at 13:04.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    In some quarters the colour of this watch --- and perhaps the difficulty of flushing one out of stock during the last 18 months --- has attracted the "Turdmaster" nickname. I do not believe this is a Marvel character but would avoid the film if it is.
    Sounds like a supervillain to me. Raising the possibility of an all-GMT fight: Batman vs. The Turdmaster! Who will win??

If it was available on a Jubilee I’d be all over one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    If it was available on a Jubilee I’d be all over one.
    Agreed, and not sure why it isn't.

Master
    My favourite GMT. Would be brilliant in a small collection but not sure as a one and only for me.

Love that Omega as well.

Craftsman
    I had one for about 6 months after wanting one for years. It was a lovely thing, just waaaaaay too noticeable to the general public. I've owned all of the sports Rolex models over the years and I've never owned a watch where strangers would comment on it like this, I guess because it is one of the most recognisable "hype" watches around. I became self conscious about it and traded it for something that flies under the radar.

Blog Entries
    Love mine , looks way better than it appears in pictures

Master
    I really like mine, it’s subtle and not to in your face for a TT watch.
    As people have stated it looks much better in the flesh then photos or even in store lighting.

Had one from the AD back in 2020 and kept it a year.

In the end I got a bit fed up with the way the PCL's scratched up and I started to dislike the brown element on the ceramic bezel, but that's just me.

Much happier with my BLRO.

I must be getting slightly old, I have always fancied one of these

Master
    Nice watch
    Have had 2 which didn't stick long term but they are lovely.

Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Wait until March 2024 and see if you still fancy one. I suspect it might save you a useful sum.

The market in this watch has "corrected" a long way from the madness it witnessed up to Feb'22, but I believe it has further "correction" due. Dealers are holding prices in the hope of Christmas buyers, but many of them desperately need cash-flow and so movement around February seems likely. Retailers all know there is still money looking to be spent in January.
    Noted what you said Haywood, but I'm too impatient, so snagged one via Watch Collecting for a pretty good price even including the platform commission.

Just need a bezel protector & a hang tag to make it an absolutely full set.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

If its the one recently sold on Watch Collecting then that does seem to be a pretty good price i.e. below RRP.

Might have to sign up and monitor their future sales closely!

Did you buy it from a trade or private seller on the platform or was it a managed sale?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Did you buy it from a trade or private seller on the platform or was it a managed sale?
    Private seller on the platform
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Anyone that has dealt with me on here knows I’ve had more than a few watches and don’t tend to keep them long.

However, I’ve had a root beer for the best part of two years and absolutely love it. There’s something special about it, the whole package comes together to create a great blend of robust sports watch with a slightly dressy feel through the rose gold. The gold is quite subdued in person and doesn’t shout out bling to me either.

The cream coloured plots and rose gold hands and indices makes a nice change to the colder white gold standard too.

You do have to accept that the centre links will develop a ‘patina’ of surface marks quite quickly though.
    agreed - out of all the modern watches I've had in recent years this was probably my favourite

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    well done and enjoy!

Thanks, nice to hear it worked out. Been scared to bid a few times but will go have a gander.

Would any GMT Master II “Root Beer” 126711CHNR owners be prepared to check their bezel protector reference number please?

Mine is missing. I'm trying to source one & a member here has some spares.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Would any GMT Master II “Root Beer” 126711CHNR owners be prepared to check their bezel protector reference number please?

Mine is missing. I'm trying to source one & a member here has some spares.
    N170 if that sounds about right, it’s hard to see.

Master
    Have a look at the chart I added today in the post asking for a swing-tag and bezel protector.

Looking at the N170s that I've shown therein, I would be sure this is your match.

H

Thanks gents
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57