closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any non league football fans?

Any non league football fans?

My wife and I, accompanied by my eldest son and Grandsons all go to AFC Whyteleafe home games (my son's old club).

Some very good football and £4 each for the old fogies and the kids, £8 for my son. programmes are free!

It's 10 minutes from home and in the next road to my son's house so we park up there and all walk down Church road together.

We shake hands with all the players at the end of the game. A great family atmosphere.

Top of the league at the moment and hoping for promotion.

Any other non league fans?

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I frequent Hednesford and Chasetown in the third tier of non league, its very enjoyable and I get to see a few players that I played against back in 70s and early 80s we generally have a couple of beers after the game which is a bonus. Admission for concessions is £8 so hardly breaks the bank.

Master
    I've been to watch Bury a handful of times with a few lads who supported them as a league club before going bust. I'm the very definition of a fairweather fan - love it on the terrace in the summer, but when it's raining you can keep it thanks.
    What a great value day out though, its nice to support a team knowing that every person through the gate makes a difference to the running of the club, and not feel totally fleeced.

Fully subscribe to this. Get down and support your local team!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I go to watch Trafford in the Northern Premier League as often as I can .
    Good atmosphere and a decent pint .

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I've been to watch Bury a handful of times with a few lads who supported them as a league club before going bust. I'm the very definition of a fairweather fan - love it on the terrace in the summer, but when it's raining you can keep it thanks.
    What a great value day out though, its nice to support a team knowing that every person through the gate makes a difference to the running of the club, and not feel totally fleeced.
    You're right there Kev.

You can walk into the clubhouse during the match and bring back a beer with nary a problem too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I frequent Hednesford and Chasetown in the third tier of non league, its very enjoyable and I get to see a few players that I played against back in 70s and early 80s we generally have a couple of beers after the game which is a bonus. Admission for concessions is £8 so hardly breaks the bank.
    Went to watch Belper Town in the playoffs at Chasetown. Good day out apart from the gobby wannabe ultra stood outside the Uxbridge threatening all the elderly and infirm.

Not a massive football fan but it is an excuse to accompany my Dad for a few drinks on a Saturday afternoon.
    He was a full on Derby fan for years but moaned about them all the time. In the end he went to a few Belper Town and Matlock town matches and settled on Belper as his regular team. He's never looked back.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I occasionally go to see my local team, Penistone Church who are in the 9th tier. I actually bought a season ticket when you could in Covid to help support them more (was only £75). I only attended one game that season tho so was ruddy expensive!

I've also been to Stocksbridge Park Steels quite regularly (7th tier) - where Jamie Vardy plied his trade originally (his local team). They're actually closer to me than Penistone but have a horrible hill to walk up to get to so I go to Penistone more of the two (and can get a bus directly from home!)

Just really enjoy the atmosphere, nice to have a few beers without hassle. A nice change from following Wednesday virtually every home and away game (especially this season which has been hard putting it mildly!)

Master
    Yeovil Town supporter here. Don't get to see them as much as I like but the same goes for watching the rugby team I support.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

Master
    Walton & Hersham for me; successive promotions in the last three seasons, riding high this year. Good times. You might have heard of the record of successive hat tricks being broken last season - that was Swans striker Eddie Simon with hat tricks in four games in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I've also been to Stocksbridge Park Steels quite regularly (7th tier) - where Jamie Vardy plied his trade originally (his local team). They're actually closer to me than Penistone but have a horrible hill to walk up to get to so I go to Penistone more of the two (and can get a bus directly from home!)
    I played Rugby against Stcksbridge Iron & Steel many times back in the 60's and that hill was a real bugger - you were knackered before the game even started! And in spite of being at the top of the hill it was always a bloody mud bath!

Great clubhouse afterwards though.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Went to watch Belper Town in the playoffs at Chasetown. Good day out apart from the gobby wannabe ultra stood outside the Uxbridge threatening all the elderly and infirm.

Not a massive football fan but it is an excuse to accompany my Dad for a few drinks on a Saturday afternoon.
    He was a full on Derby fan for years but moaned about them all the time. In the end he went to a few Belper Town and Matlock town matches and settled on Belper as his regular team. He's never looked back.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Yup I was at that match, first and only time I saw wannabe hooligans at a non league game. The Belper fans stood behind the goal were youths who had been drinking and they were shoving a few of the older Chasetown boys, the police were called and it quickly went quite.

Journeyman
    Having become totally disillusioned with Premier league football and primadonna players, I went to my first non-league game this season at Stourbridge FC and am now hooked! Parked a couple of streets away. Couple of pints in the clubroom (home and away supporters mingling together in replica kit). £3 for a programme (high quality as well), £12 per ticket. Strolled round to the side terracing 5 minutes before kick off.
    Full blooded committed players giving their all even though they are back at work on Monday. Proper sport (no VAR for one thing).
    No lack of quality either.
    I've now been to most league games but haven't bothered with the cup fixtures.
    Thoroughly recommend anyone trying non-league. It was a revelation to me!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I`ve never been a big fan of football, much prefer Rugby league, but I've recently started watching Wakefield AFC, who play in the Northern Counties East Div 1, 10th tier of the football pyramid. They're now playing in the recently refurbished Wakefield Trinity Rugby ground and averaging around 500 fans, the club was only formed in 2019 and the owners are quite ambitious to move the club forward and progress up the league structure. As Rugby League is played between Feb and September there's limited overlap for use of the ground, the pitch is some hybrid synthetic/natural all-weather that was freshly laid earlier in the year, with the intention of playing both sports. Probably the best pitch around at this level of football, despite recent rain it's in excellent condition!

I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere compared to football league matches, and at £4 admission for over 60s it's a cheap afternoon out! Nice bar area and plenty of covered stands, standard of football isn`t great at that level but there's certainly no lack of commitment.

Unlike the rugby I don't take it too seriously, it's more about the game than the result for me, so I know I won't come home pissed off if/when they lose. Second in the table and a good prospect for promotion, so most home games should be wins, contrast that with the rugby team who were relegated this year!

Scunthorpe United are my team ,followed them for the thick end of 60 years through good times and bad . The club is in a a bit of a rut at the moment after some recent disastrous ownership issues but i'll still be there week in week out .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post
    Having become totally disillusioned with Premier league football and primadonna players, I went to my first non-league game this season at Stourbridge FC and am now hooked! Parked a couple of streets away. Couple of pints in the clubroom (home and away supporters mingling together in replica kit). £3 for a programme (high quality as well), £12 per ticket. Strolled round to the side terracing 5 minutes before kick off.
    Full blooded committed players giving their all even though they are back at work on Monday. Proper sport (no VAR for one thing).
    No lack of quality either.
    I've now been to most league games but haven't bothered with the cup fixtures.
    Thoroughly recommend anyone trying non-league. It was a revelation to me!

Jude Bellinghams dad Mark played for Stourbridge, still holds the record for most goals in a season. He scored 700 goals throughout his non league playing career.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Jude Bellinghams dad Mark played for Stourbridge, still holds the record for most goals in a season. He scored 700 goals throughout his non league playing career.
    Yes. I've heard that. I believe Jude himself played for Stourbridge FC as an 8 year old!