closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster display back

Master

Speedmaster display back

Is it possible to buy a display back separately for a Moon Watch, or is there some reason why they don't fit?

I'm looking at multiple Moons but most don't have a display back, in fact very few do.

Used to be popular back in the day seem to remember. But you had to buy some sort of spacer or new movement ring...can you give more details on year/model. Remember non display movements have a different finish compared to double sapphires

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Master
    Ahh, thanks. I did wonder if the decoration was different.

I found Spiralwinder who make a direct fit display back which looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Ahh, thanks. I did wonder if the decoration was different.

I found Spiralwinder who make a direct fit display back which looks very nice.
    I think the finish is the same bar one plastic component found in the Hessalite versions.

Some great info here:

https://www.watchprosite.com/omega/the-right-stuff--inside-the-omega-speedmaster-professional--part-2/677.362702.2218312/

Here's the plastic part:

This relates to older speedy's. Not the current model.

If you're undecided I've owned both this model and the current and I would pick the latest Sapphire Sandwich version. The bracelet and clasp is much nicer on the newer models. The movement is an upgrade and it's too nice to be hidden behind a steel caseback.

Master
    Custom Watch Concepts, and they include the extra bit

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Some great info here:

https://www.watchprosite.com/omega/the-right-stuff--inside-the-omega-speedmaster-professional--part-2/677.362702.2218312/

Here's the plastic part:

This relates to older speedy's. Not the current model.

If you're undecided I've owned both this model and the current and I would pick the latest Sapphire Sandwich version. The bracelet and clasp is much nicer on the newer models. The movement is an upgrade and it's too nice to be hidden behind a steel caseback.
    I’m not sure the movement is an upgrade but the bracelet definitely is I brought it for my old speedmaster

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I think the finish is the same bar one plastic component found in the Hessalite versions.
    It's not. The Sapphire has a higher level of finishing on many of the parts which is why they gave it a different movement number.

ETA: 1861 vs 1863 -

Last edited by Dynam0humm; 6th November 2023 at 21:16.

Craftsman
    Spiralwinder make an excellent sapphire case back for the Speedy. I have one fitted to my FOIS and love it.
    You can find some examples on this Omega Forum thread.

https://www.spiralwinderwatchparts.c...ga-speedmaster
    Last edited by mutanthands; 6th November 2023 at 21:27.

Master
    Awesome info, thanks chaps.

A solid member on here has offered me a 3861 as it happens, so my luck might be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Awesome info, thanks chaps.

A solid member on here has offered me a 3861 as it happens, so my luck might be in.
    A solid member lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    A solid member lol

Gotta hang it somewhere when it's not being worn.

I did this many years ago with my old cal 861 Speedy. The caseback was made for the 861 watches by a Thomas Preik and sold through their website (which is no longer live, I see). No spacer was required (as far as I recall), although it did make the watch sit higher than with the steel caseback.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    I did this many years ago with my old cal 861 Speedy. The caseback was made for the 861 watches by a Thomas Preik and sold through their website (which is no longer live, I see). No spacer was required (as far as I recall), although it did make the watch sit higher than with the steel caseback.

Very nice Rich!

I’ve got the official omega display back on an earlier cal 321 Speedmaster.

I can confirm you need a spacer ring to stop excessive vertical wobble of the movement for this version of the sapphire case back.

Master
    There's no denying how pretty the movements are in the Speedmaster.