closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CarPlay hints and tips.

Master
    Blog Entries

CarPlay hints and tips.

I have just bought my first vehicle with CarPlay and cant work half of it out.

Example

I cant get TomTom to play on it, I have apple maps but prefer TT.

When I do use apple maps I cant get the in built radio to play at the same time.

The mic doesnt seem to respond to well, for example take me to Witney and it kept trying to take me to a place in Cornwall beginning with C?

When I asked for home which I had set,it was taking me on a 4 hour journey up North?

There are other things confuse me

So any hints and tips would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Example

When I do use apple maps I cant get the in built radio to play at the same time.

The mic doesnt seem to respond to well, for example take me to Witney and it kept trying to take me to a place in Cornwall beginning with C?

When I asked for home which I had set,it was taking me on a 4 hour journey up North?

Ditch Apple Maps and use Waze...

Master
    Blog Entries

Example

Would have to check if TomTom has an icon - I can access Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze

One of the car stereo buttons - in my case on the wheel - will cycle through iPhone/DAB/FM/AM radios so you need to find that button. Probably varies by manufacturer. I am using a USB lead connection not BlueTooth

In all the map apps, pressing the Search button calls up a recents list, with Home and Work at the top. If it is giving you a duff route, is it doing the same if you aren’t plugged in? Sounds like a Maps issue, not Car Play.

On my car, pressing the hardware “Call” button and speaking loudly works well. That said, I set up my route planning before starting the car - my aim is to avoid touching anything other than the steering wheel whilst I am driving.

To start with, Apple Maps IS TomTom I believe. And frankly, while it's better than it was, at least in Europe it is far below Google Maps, who also own Waze.
    Waze is remarkable as it tracks the users in real time and uses the information to redirect in cases of RTAs or works or any other blockage, whereas as I understand it the others (including the one that comes with your car, if you have sat nav) use the information supplied by the highway agencies; hence a more competent and reactive system to avoid getting stuck.
    Waze also gives you your speed (GPS based of course), in a red circle if you exceed the local limit. Google only displays the local limit, and Apple Maps does none of those things IIRC.
    However Waze maps and directions are not as good as Google Maps, and it's not unusual to take the wrong turn on a complex roundabout, for example.

For the rest of the issues you mention, I believe this is a PICNIC case (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

As outlined above, Waze works well in dense traffic areas as it's a function of the numbers using it. So good for hacking through the city.

Out in the sticks no better than Google maps

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    To start with, Apple Maps IS TomTom I believe. And frankly, while it's better than it was, at least in Europe it is far below Google Maps, who also own Waze.
    Waze is remarkable as it tracks the users in real time and uses the information to redirect in cases of RTAs or works or any other blockage, whereas as I understand it the others (including the one that comes with your car, if you have sat nav) use the information supplied by the highway agencies; hence a more competent and reactive system to avoid getting stuck.
    Waze also gives you your speed (GPS based of course), in a red circle if you exceed the local limit. Google only displays the local limit, and Apple Maps does none of those things IIRC.
    However Waze maps and directions are not as good as Google Maps, and it's not unusual to take the wrong turn on a complex roundabout, for example.

For the rest of the issues you mention, I believe this is a PICNIC case (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer)

Great summary S-J, Im a waze convert and it has really helped me out on several occasions, real time update on hazards is so useful, I even had a alert to 'roadkill' on the road ahead yesterday which was a new one for me, there must have been a recent update as the alert voice has changed too.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    I generally use Waze - and reporting of hazards by users is one major reason - but during the recent floods, there was an unsigned closure of one section of the A52. Waze/Google didn't know, Apple Maps did (as I had to fight through the carnage, pull off to plot how to get home and Google/Waze wanted me to try the closed section again) - so none of them are perfect.

EDIT - I have standalone TomTom on my phone from years ago but there is no Car Play icon for it. This was "standalone" version, not the subscription version (TomTom GO form memory) which may or may not still exist.
    Last edited by thenikjones; 6th November 2023 at 10:55. Reason: EDIT - added TomTom section

I have run a few cars with CarPlay with no issues. You need to go into settings on your phone to allow certain things to happen - it then takes you through set-up in the car (usually by pressing the voice button on the steering wheel). Personally I have no issues with Apple Maps and I don’t think TomTom is supported? I’ve also had no issue playing the car radio whilst using Apple CarPlay for navigation, I just tune into the radio as normal, then press the CarPlay button (I suspect you have it set to revert to CarPlay as soon as you connect the phone - you can change that in the car settings) - then with the radio playing in the background I set the navigation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I generally use Waze - and reporting of hazards by users is one major reason - but during the recent floods, there was an unsigned closure of one section of the A52. Waze/Google didn't know, Apple Maps did (as I had to fight through the carnage, pull off to plot how to get home and Google/Waze wanted me to try the closed section again) - so none of them are perfect.

EDIT - I have standalone TomTom on my phone from years ago but there is no Car Play icon for it. This was "standalone" version, not the subscription version (TomTom GO form memory) which may or may not still exist.
    I dont think I have quite grasped the premise of car play yet,I thought it would show all on my phone.

Thats my problem then,I have managed to keep my old TomTom downloaded map (no longer current good enough).
    I find it easier to use as I can choose quickest or scenic at the start,now I have a new car I am driving scenic routes for pleasure.

I just tried Apple,google and waze to a destination I know.

Apple was the only one that showed the scenic route I like to take,I guess they all have there pros and cons.

Master
    Blog Entries

Apple was the only one that showed the scenic route I like to take, I guess they all have there pros and cons.
    I'd agree with that. When Waze saves 0.3 miles by sending you down a single track road - and you meet a tractor coming the other way - you can get frustrated. Joys of rural Leics and Lincs driving

They are all free so long as you have mobile data so use the one you like the best - definitely try Waze if you've never tried it before.

Master
    Waze and car play saved me from crashing last week on a dark A road, without it I would have most likely hit the standing water covering my side of the road. Moments before it flashed up flood hazard warning.

I think car play is best when the phone is connected via USB lead to the car, I seem to get more options on the display screen (I phone and Focus). One thing I really enjoy is listening to podcasts now with the car play set up. For music I use spotify, which works well with Waze as you can set the music controls to sit above the Waze screen.

I agree with others, there's some messing around with settings at first. One problem I get is if I connect my wifes phone via Bluetooth it will connect to her phone when she's in the house before I can plug my phone in! Took me a while to work that out, so now I just delete her phone from the setup.

Master
    I’ve used TomTomon CarPlay in BMW’s & VW’s without issue. Personally, I much prefer it to Waze or Googlemaps and am happy to pay the small yearly fee.

You can select which apps are displayed in CarPlay so maybe check that it isn’t deselected.

I used to struggle with plugging my iPhone into the car too quickly, which then made the CarPlay very 'buggy'.

I soon learnt to just start the car and then plug my phone in a few moments later before I set off, as plugging the phone in and then starting the car before the computer gubbins had fully woken up seen to make it have a brain fart.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced the same, but my GPS location while using any navigation system used to lag by about 500m - but only occasionally. Not helpful when negotiating close junctions/roundabouts in a busy city!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I used to struggle with plugging my iPhone into the car too quickly, which then made the CarPlay very 'buggy'.

I soon learnt to just start the car and then plug my phone in a few moments later before I set off, as plugging the phone in and then starting the car before the computer gubbins had fully woken up seen to make it have a brain fart.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced the same, but my GPS location while using any navigation system used to lag by about 500m - but only occasionally. Not helpful when negotiating close junctions/roundabouts in a busy city!
    Ah yes, I had similar when I first got our car, but it's settled down since. But you have remined me, a couple a times Waze has locked up with Car Play, the only fix was to restart the engine, not great. Then found out there is a combination of buttons to hold down for 5 seconds that does a soft restart of Car Play, thus avoiding turning the ignition off, and restarting.

My wife asked the ford dealer to update Car Play software, they wanted £126. So we didn't, since been advised by an independent "if it works leave it alone" .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

This makes sense and is a good tip.

I did it phone first on the way back tonight,it was then taking me home 200 miles north again.
    Waze and google maps had disapeared of the screen and it wouldnt play podcasts on my voice command.
    It also kept randomley telling me it couldnt do this or that.

I think I may have the son of HAL in my system.

I think you can select a phone as a ‘main phone’ to stop a nearby family phone from beating you to attaching your phone own for wired CarPlay. I also agree you’re best to start the car, let the in car tech boot up then attach the phone. Mind you, currently have a VW Tiguan and a Fiesta - our 3 week old Puma is in the garage with a fried Sync 3 system which was glitchy from delivery - throwing up errors until it literally went bang with loud popping through the speakers. All this tech is great but can be a bit over complicated.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A couple off what may be stupid questions.

I take it carplay is using data if so how much does it use?

Also if you are in the highlands and there is no signal does everything stop working?

I really like Radio Caroline flashback,it has a wide variety of good music and no ads.
    I have the app on my phone which wont show/work on carplay.
    After searching I found this one and will try it later when I go out in my car.

https://uk.radio.net/s/carolineflashback/app

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Waze is remarkable as it tracks the users in real time and uses the information to redirect in cases of RTAs or works or any other blockage
    Google Maps uses real-time speed information from all its users (which is fed back anonymously) to know when to mark a route as "amber" or "red", to let you know how long a delay is likely to last, and to know when to reroute. It also takes some of its information from Waze (which, as you mentioned, it owns) in order to give information like "broken down vehicle in lane 1 ahead".

Personally, I have always found that Google Maps gives better routes than Waze (for a period I even ran them side-by-side on a long journey that I was commuting regularly). I also don't like the gamification that Waze uses and. especially, that it shows me ads when I'm stopped.

I take it carplay is using data if so how much does it use?

Also if you are in the highlands and there is no signal does everything stop working?
    Both CarPlay and Android Auto effectively mirror your phone's screen onto the screen in your car (while dumbing down the interface to try to make it safer for in-car use), so yes, they will use some data - but no more than if you were using the phone to navigate without having it connected to CarPlay/AA. Navigation is quite a low data use, as well.

Most navigation systems will cache an area of maps around the current position to allow for areas of no signal. With Google Maps (and possibly others) you can explicitly download offline maps in advance for an area if you know that you'll be going there and won't have signal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    When Waze saves 0.3 miles by sending you down a single track road - and you meet a tractor coming the other way - you can get frustrated. Joys of rural Leics and Lincs driving
    Spot on. Waze has lot's of positives but it is far from flawed, it can gravitate to some pretty dim shortcuts once you get a little of the grid. The algorithm receives data from users saying it is a little slow on main route A, so sends you down something it recognises as a road to save you 1 minute which it sees as clear as there are no other Wazers using it. Of course the reason may well be it is a tiny dirt-track this is barely passable at the best of times, the man in the tractor does not have Waze running and local users avoid it as they know it's a bad route!