closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old (non-smart) mobile phones - disposal?

Master

Old (non-smart) mobile phones - disposal?

For some odd reason, I’ve a cupboard full of old mobile phones - most in boxes. Suspect I was wondering if they’d ever be of value and the answer seems to be a resounding no, not yet, at least.

I did a Google search to see if there was anywhere that recycled but can’t see any specific arrangements. Do they just go in electrical waste at the council facility?

If anyone wants them, they’re free!. Can’t post so M62 between Leeds and Manchester is doable to meet up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can give them to some charities - eg Oxfam accepts them https://www.oxfam.org.uk/donate/more...p%20for%20sale.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    You can give them to some charities - eg Oxfam accepts them https://www.oxfam.org.uk/donate/more...p%20for%20sale.
    Thanks. I’ll see if they’ll take them at the local shop.

Any other ideas welcome in the meantime/as an alternative.

Master
    Ebay - drug dealers love them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Ebay - drug dealers love them.
    Not up on the technicalities but these are Nokia 3310, 6310, 8310, etc, and some other of that era. Would they still work? Vaguely recall something about phones moving to digital, by might be wrong.

Master
    We had a few from the mother in law after she passed. We removed the sim cleared down the call records, wiped the few photos she had and gave them to the local charity shop along with the charger. Dont know if they were sold to drug dealers or not , but if the charity makes a shilling then so be it.

Incidentally we past a board advertising an up and coming musical set in the 1990’s. The poster featured 3310’s :)

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not up on the technicalities but these are Nokia 3310, 6310, 8310, etc, and some other of that era. Would they still work? Vaguely recall something about phones moving to digital, by might be wrong.
    Isn't it that older phones may use 2G or 3G which might not be supported by the carrier?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Isn't it that older phones may use 2G or 3G which might not be supported by the carrier?
    Unfortunately, I’ve no clue about the technology.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Incidentally we past a board advertising an up and coming musical set in the 1990’s. The poster featured 3310’s :)
    It did occur they might have some use as stage props but, again, it’s finding somewhere that wants them.

Master
    As an example Nokia 6310: plenty of them sold on ebay for £20-£25

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&LH_Complete=1

No smart features means no tracking, other than cell tower access logging.

I’ve just found a load as well with spare batteries. Bought a pay as you go sim and they work fine with EE. One is a top of the range Nokia sliding phone. Tiny black thing. Pretty cool and I have started using it. Life has become simpler when I turn my work phone off and have no distractions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    As an example Nokia 6310: plenty of them sold on ebay for £20-£25

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&LH_Complete=1

No smart features means no tracking, other than cell tower access logging.
    Oh, obviously hadn't checked that model! Borderline actually worth listing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    I’ve just found a load as well with spare batteries. Bought a pay as you go sim and they work fine with EE. One is a top of the range Nokia sliding phone. Tiny black thing. Pretty cool and I have started using it. Life has become simpler when I turn my work phone off and have no distractions.
    Trying to resist the temptation to try that and then decide I want to hang on to the phones!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    The 8910i? Was my all time favourite phone. I briefly went back to one around iPhone 4 era but couldn’t get on with it.

Loved it back in the day, was just the best phone experience out there at the time. Robust bugger too, survived the washing machine too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    The 8910i? Was my all time favourite phone. I briefly went back to one around iPhone 4 era but couldn’t get on with it.

Loved it back in the day, was just the best phone experience out there at the time. Robust bugger too, survived the washing machine too.
    I keep looking at the new releases form Nokia in the hope that they do a run of 8910s but with what's app capability, if they did I'd buy one straight away.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    I keep looking at the new releases form Nokia in the hope that they do a run of 8910s but with what's app capability, if they did I'd buy one straight away.

Sent from my SM-F707B using Tapatalk
    I didn’t realise they had relaunched the 8210 which was my favourite tiny phone before the 8910.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

That’s the one. Looks like this one may still have some value. I have a few other Nokias too that are tiny and really robust. I forgot how small some of these are….

Master
    Blog Entries
    I must admit I thought the OP wasn't interested in realising any value they may or may not have - hence my suggestion of a charity (eg Oxfam) who will be able to realise some value or dispose of safely where none exists

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I must admit I thought the OP wasn't interested in realising any value they may or may not have - hence my suggestion of a charity (eg Oxfam) who will be able to realise some value or dispose of safely where none exists
    Correct. If they’d been worth hundreds, I might have been motivated to find a buyer but I don’t want them in landfill and, if some charity can get a few £, that’s a bonus.

Donate them to the TZ forum charity, take a photo of all in one shot, let forum members donate to TZ for the phone they want.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Correct. If they’d been worth hundreds, I might have been motivated to find a buyer but I don’t want them in landfill and, if some charity can get a few £, that’s a bonus.
    And, quite usefully, the discussion has helped sort that out. I gave three old smart phones to Oxfam recently. I probably could have got a few quid from musicMagpie or similar but, for me, it was simpler to hand them in at the local Oxfam shop.

Master
    Thanks all. Oxfam got them!