closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Facebook scam...

Master

Facebook scam...

This week someone tried a quite transparent scam on me sending me a forged email purporting to be from RBS telling me funds were on hold for me and would be released just as soon as I sent the parcel and advised the tracking number. Yeah... right...

The name used was Gail Hepworth, although its very likely that this was some totally innocent person's Facebook profile used without their knowledge. The address they wanted me to send off the parcel to was:
    Flat 2, 116 Winchlea Road, London N17 6XQ whereas the address in the Facebook profile of Gail Hepworth is in Ipswich.

I haven't notified plod or Facebook on the strong belief that they wouldn't give a toss (and I wouldn't know where to start anyway) but if anyone here uses FB marketplace to.move anything along it's worth watching out for.

Meantime I have sent a PM to the account of Gail Hepworth letting her know what has been going on.

Rob

Master
    Action Fraud if you can be bothered. I suspect that they just count reports. Never heard of anyone seeing action.

It’s such an obvious scam too. Do they automate it all? I can’t believe someone can make it pay doing it all manually.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Action Fraud if you can be bothered. I suspect that they just count reports. Never heard of anyone seeing action.

It’s such an obvious scam too. Do they automate it all? I can’t believe someone can make it pay doing it all manually.
    Fully automated I recon , standard script pushing out tens of thousands of messages. You only need one tenth of one percent to get sucked in and its “free” money.

So many people are awaiting or missed a delivery that these and the fake Yodel FedEx spoofs just seem credible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Fully automated I recon , standard script pushing out tens of thousands of messages. You only need one tenth of one percent to get sucked in and its “free” money.

So many people are awaiting or missed a delivery that these and the fake Yodel FedEx spoofs just seem credible.
    You are quite right. I thought it was a FB scam. Rereading the OP it’s not clear where the FB connection is vs. the email received.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    The address they wanted me to send off the parcel to was:
    Flat 2, 116 Winchlea Road, London N17 6XQ
    Could always send them a turd in a box?

Joking aside, this is rife and with all of Facebooks cleaver algorithms etc that how these scams are so prevalent is ridiculous.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    You are quite right. I thought it was a FB scam. Rereading the OP it’s not clear where the FB connection is vs. the email received.
    The original contact to me was via FB message in response to my FB marketplace advert and she wanted my email address "for reference" which started the red lights flashing. So I created a Gmail account with an obviously silly name and gave her that. Eventually she said she had transmitted the money and that her bank would confirm direct to me by email, which is a clear issue... lo and behold an obviously fake email arrived from "RBS Bank" demanding I ship the parcel out and advise them of the tracking number to allow them to release the funds. Now I did consider spinning it along for a while for a bit of a laugh or even sending them a turd in a box but eventually I just couldn't be arsed.

Had this one tried on me this week on Facebook..

2 days of quite normal conversation wanted item sent to an address in Manchester.
    Gave them my bank details they wanted my email address so I gave them a email address not associated with my bank account..told me the money had been sent , then the above email arrived….Thanked them for wasting my time politely..

Facebook is the Wild West be careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post

Had this one tried on me this week on Facebook..

2 days of quite normal conversation wanted item sent to an address in Manchester.
    Gave them my bank details they wanted my email address so I gave them a email address not associated with my bank account..told me the money had been sent , then the above email arrived….Thanked them for wasting my time politely..

Facebook is the Wild West be careful out there.

I wonder why they've popped a registered trademark symbol on the word Bank? And Hard Cover Insurance Policy? Because it looks kind of official and important

I fear for our species if people genuinely fall for these.

Another Twat trying it on this morning..

On a similar theme ,i had my facebook account hacked this week ,people sending out friend requests various advert recommendations supposedly from me .
    Within five minutes of warning everyone not to respond to any requests from me for 48 hours , i received no less then 15 responses from total strangers offering to "help" with my security . Needless to say i totally ignored them and reset my own password firewalls etc .
    Speaking to the I.T. guys at work it looks like once they have hacked your account , they then come up as your saviour type person when in fact it was them behind the original hack .

Try selling something on Facebook, the bastards come crawling out...

Guy posts on a facebook bike group, looking for a pair of rearsets.

I post publically that I have a brand new pair for £490 delivered (over £675 from the maker)

Then the DMs start

"Will you take £400 for them mate? I can collect on way past"

No thanks, £480 collected.

"If you go to £450, I can collect today"

I'll pass thanks - be careful driving in the highlands, conditions are meant to be dire.

"No bother, thanks anyway"

"I'm on my way back if you want £450, mate"

They're sold now (I was just fed up by this time, and decided he wasn't getting them)

"I'm on my way back and will give you the £480 if you haven't already posted them mate"

Payment has been accepted and that's it!

-----------------------------------------------------

They'll sell again (but not to him)

Master
    There are some weird and odd people out there and a lot of them seem to be on Facebook and using Marketplace.

Wife was selling something big and bulky a while back, some guy agreed a price, got our address for collection and then nothing. Subsequently deleted his account. No idea what was going on there.