closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Getting a Bulova Super Seville working

Getting a Bulova Super Seville working

I'm hoping for a bit of advice regarding a Super Seville Quartz that my son bought recently. Its actually a pretty nicely made watch with solid bracelet links etc, and of course greatly appeals to someone interested in trying the Rolex look at a more realistic price.

Unfortunately he didnt read the listing as carefully as he should, and has ended up with one that doesnt work. I'm keen to encourage his enthusiasm for old watches, so wondered if there is any way to get the movement replaced or whether there are other things I could try to get it working again. I've tried new battery and no success there, not sure if there are other things I could try?

If it has to be a new movement any recommendations for a repairer would be welcomed.

You will first need to identify that movement, you might get lucky and find a donor watch with a working movement, failing that, that will let you look up the hand pinion hole sizes and the depth / width of the movement to make sure the new one will fit. It’s doable but not straightforward. Vintage quartz are a nightmare for spare parts sadly.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    The movement's an ETA 955.411 or similar.

Rather than jump to the conclusion that it needs a movement swap it makes more sense to find out why it's not running, and possibly service / repair the existing movement. That's a job for a repairer.

One problem with movement swaps is the height of the cannon pinion, hr wheel and centre seconds wheel, they do vary. a new replacement may not have the correct heights so you're into swapping parts over, if you're doing that it makes sense to try and service the original. Unless the circuit is damaged, or some clumsy individual has damaged the coil, they generally run fine after cleaning and re-oiling. It only takes a spec of dirt or a fibre to get into the train wheels whilst the battery's been swapped and the watch won't run. Another 'fault' is the insulator under the battery going AWOL or being fitted in the wrong place.

I don`t recommend buying an ageing quartz or mechanical watch and hoping it'll run fine, always budget for getting a watch serviced when buying.

Thanks both for your input, agree I would not normally buy a broken quartz but my son did, so keen to see if I can help him recover the situation

Master
    These are nice pieces actually. Very rare to see them in good condition to be honest. The auto versions in good nic are even more difficult to come by.

Master
    Owned Day Date version in gold plating with diamondish hour marks ages ago and stupidly sold it.

As it comes to the movement...IIRC There is modern variation of the same movement.

Great watch.

Nice watches. Worth getting fixed.

I had one back in the day and gave it to my oldest son who proceeded to dive in the pool on holiday whilst wearing it - that was the end of that.
    Cheers,
    Neil.