closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: International Sporting Rivalries and why?

Master
    Blog Entries

International Sporting Rivalries and why?

We’re coming to the end of the Rugby WC and it’s been interesting to see SPORTING rivalries raised above the parapet.

Who do you think have strong ones and why??

Let’s try to keep it to sport not nationalities.

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 28th October 2023 at 12:01.

Interesting question. Your team beat my time in a crucial game, my team is seen as being superior and therefore a target. Their team has an arrogance due to their excellent history and therefore need taking down a peg or two?

There are political reasons also. England’s perceived place in the British Union is an obvious (and understandable) one.

I suspect a lot of it is down to sheer tribalism. In the recent RWC, I was torn in a number of ways. England were very much underdogs and had an easy ride through the group stage. There was some entertaining rugby played, but there were far more interesting games for sure, and whilst I would have loved to see England play the final, I suspect it was a better game for their exclusion.

We are a big rugby family, with lots of us playing the game at various levels (including representing at national level). My family is Welsh on my mothers side, and Irish on my fathers. The immediate support for whoever is playing England by those family members both amuses and annoys me in variable amounts, and there is always lots of (mostly) good natured banter around 6 nations time, but in big internationals, those family members are always happiest when England lose and, to be fair, England have given them ample opportunity over recent years,

So take your pick. There are lots of reasons, but competition amongst the fans is as big as that within the team, and as long as it never turns “footbally”, that’s a good thing in my book.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great Dick

Very insightful

Jim

Germany Netherlands is always a bit feisty

France tends to support whoever is playing England
    Often it is sports specific. The Crunch is for rugby but other (team) sports do not elicit that rivalry. Spain is more a competitor in football and basketball, Sweden, Norway and Denmark in handball. We don’t do cricket.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    India v Pakistan in the cricket is always a massive match. The 2 countries have history with actual wars etc so if they can funnel it into a cricket match instead then that’s better all round.

I’ve been to a few of those games and the atmosphere of intense, but no serious or actual hostility - otherwise it’s just not cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Germany Netherlands is always a bit feisty
    Have you experienced Germany Austria?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

El Salvador vs Honduras in the football has been known to get out of hand.....

Master
    England v Argentina for obvious reasons though I think it means a bit more for Argentina now.
    Serbia v Croatia a bit more than feisty.