closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leather Flight-type jacket

Master

Leather Flight-type jacket

Hi

I have an itch for a flight-type leather jacket that started when I saw the Triumph Bexton - which I know is not necessarily a flight jacket, but is styled along those lines. They were reduced to a great price in their sale a while back, but didn't have my size left at all. So every now and then I've looked for one and can only seem to find them in a Small on places like Ebay.

Recently I've been looking again and thought I'd see what alternatives would be worth looking at. When i searched for leather flight jacket, lots of options spring up and I just know that some of them will be poor quality etc, especially as most of them don't have physical shops to go and look at.

Budget is around £150 - not looking for anything historically correct etc., just something in that kind of style.

Am concerned that some of them may be a little short compared to nowadays as well.

Few things I'd like it to have:

- Hand warmer pockets
    - Press studs for the pocket flaps as opposed to buttons
    - Removable collar if its a shearling style
    - Inside pocket (ideally 2)
    - Be available in black as an option

Doesn't need to be anything that will last for 100 years, just not look cheap and of poor quality leather.

Couple I've seen based on previous threads:

https://www.epicmilitaria.com/black-...ket-repro.html

https://wested.com/collections/aviat...er-jacket-mens

https://ukleatherjackets.co.uk/mens-...ch-wool-collar

https://www.fjackets.com/uk/buy/1950...er-Jacket.html

And this is the Triumph one that kicked it off - in case anyone knows of one for sale:
    https://www.hepcat.se/brands/triumph...r-jacket-black
    Last edited by bambam; 18th October 2023 at 17:18.

It sounds as if you are after a jacket similar to an A2.
    If you google / search A2 or G1 jacket you may get more results (even check out ebay)
    Obviously you get better value second hand and maybe able to pick a Schott or Averex in the £200 bracket If used is not a problem.

Schotts version of the A2 has all the features you want and is a cracking jacket (it’s a mix of features from the A2 and G1).

If you are not adverse to an actual military jacket a used US Navy G1 can be great value, especially if you get a pre 1990s jacket as these don’t have the fire proof coating. They are short though as they are designed to be worn sitting down. G1s are goat leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It sounds as if you are after a jacket similar to an A2.
    If you google / search A2 or G1 jacket you may get more results (even check out ebay)
    Obviously you get better value second hand and maybe able to pick a Schott or Averex in the £200 bracket If used is not a problem.

Schotts version of the A2 has all the features you want and is a cracking jacket (it’s a mix of features from the A2 and G1).

If you are not adverse to an actual military jacket a used US Navy G1 can be great value, especially if you get a pre 1990s jacket as these don’t have the fire proof coating. They are short though as they are designed to be worn sitting down. G1s are goat leather.
    I sold one in here a few years ago, as it was too big for me. Outstanding jacket, as are all Schott jackets (I have five or six).

Master
    What size are you? I’ve a Schott jacket that’s never been worn as I thought mistakenly I could slim down.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    What size are you? I’ve a Schott jacket that’s never been worn as I thought mistakenly I could slim down.

Probably a large / 44. I have a Schott cafe racer that I can check.
    What jacket do you have?
    Cheers

Master
    It’s a large I’ll get it out to find which model and dm you.

I always thought you had to size up with Schott jackets. Mind you it’s was a good few years back last time I owned a Schott leather jacket.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I always thought you had to size up with Schott jackets. Mind you it’s was a good few years back last time I owned a Schott leather jacket.
    I think it depends on the jacket type and style. I managed to get to a Schott store in New York some years back and tried on different sizes. Glad I did as the one I bought fits really well.
    Some styles are cut more loose fitting so the size stays constant.

Any more views or experiences with A-2 style jackets? Think I’d like one with a removable shearling collar as opposed to only a leather one.

Cheers

Leather Flight-type jacket

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Any more views or experiences with A-2 style jackets?
    Many years ago, I did have an original, vintage Poughkeepsie A-2 flight jacket.

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml

I believe Eastman etc follow the same patterns.

It was cut slim. It was size 42, but this was more like a modern day size 40.
    It was cut shortish, perhaps because trousers used to be worn higher on the waist.
    It was cut for a trim young man, not a middle age beer gut.
    A-2 never had a sheepskin collar. G1 has a sheepskin collar.
    A-2 never had hand warmer pockets. Reminds me of school, You there, hands out of pockets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 22nd October 2023 at 14:29.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Many years ago, I did have an original, vintage Poughkeepsie A-2 flight jacket.

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml

I believe Eastman etc follow the same patterns.

It was cut slim. It was size 42, but this was more like a modern day size 40.
    It was cut shortish, perhaps because trousers used to be worn higher on the waist.
    It was cut for a trim young man, not a middle age beer gut.
    A-2 never had a sheepskin collar. G1 has a sheepskin collar.
    A-2 never had hand warmer pockets. Reminds me of school, You there, hands out of pockets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    100% correct.
    The Schott A2 is quite different to the USAAF A2. I presume Schott used the terminology to hint as some sort of history.
    OP differences between the Schott A2 and the original A2 are as follows:
    A much more generous cut
    Hand warmer pockets
    Bi swing pleats at the back with a kidney panel
    Removable fur collar and liner

All of the above are not on the original A2 which is a much more utilitarian jacket with a shirt like cut.

Most of the features on the Schott A2 can be found on the G1 (it should be called a Schott G1 but the G1 never left US Navy service, so suspect there was a trademark problem), but the G1 does not have a fur liner, the fur collar is fixed and there are no hand warmer pockets. - and people think I am a watch geek… (my avatar is a patch I have on one of my A2s)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 22nd October 2023 at 20:27.

How about a non-leather question?

I've been after a B-10 for ages now, and am thinking about this one from Eastman. Just wondered if anyone on here had one and, if so, whether you could tell me how they come up for size?

The alternative (over here, at least) seems to be the Buzz Rickman. Any thoughts one vs the other?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th October 2023 at 09:21.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Young man!
    There’s no need to feel down.
    I said, “Young Man!”

Says he that is selling a Flying Jacket - hypocrite ������

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've been after a B-10 for ages now, and am thinking about this one from Eastman. Just wondered if anyone on here had one and, if so, whether you could tell me how they come up for size?

The alternative (over here, at least) seems to be the Buzz Rickman. Any thoughts one vs the other?
    I’m selling a flying jacket but if it helps more, there was an Eastman on here I think. Looked very nice!

Jim

The Eastman is a good jacket, their sizes are true to the original WW2 versions so if in doubt take a size up, Eastman are good to deal with and are happy to talk over the phone, their on line sizing tool also works quite well. I find Buzz Ricksons sizing strange, everything is just a little too small. If I may suggest an alternative?
    Pike Bros - I have both their B10 and B15 (along with an original WW2 B15) Pike supply Aeroleather for their B10/B15s.
    It’s a great jacket and perfect for autumn, if wanting a cold weather jacket go for the similar B15
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th October 2023 at 10:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The Eastman is a good jacket, their sizes are true to the original WW2 versions so if in doubt take a size up, Eastman are good to deal with and are happy to talk over the phone, their on line sizing tool also works quite well. I find Buzz Ricksons sizing strange, everything is just a little too small. If I may suggest an alternative?
    Pike Bros - I have both their B10 and B15 (along with an original WW2 B15) Pike supply Aeroleather for their B10/B15s.
    It’s a great jacket and perfect for autumn, if wanting a cold weather jacket go for the similar B15
    Thanks, and I'll check them out.

Edit: Just realised that I'd already checked the Pike Bros out. I was put off by the three very different colourways of the mouton, the lining and the knitted cuffs/waistband. That said, no different to the Buzz Rickson so it may actually be in the mix.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th October 2023 at 20:29.

Craftsman
    I have an Eastman A2 and it really is a lovely item. I also have a Jdm Toys McCoy A2 with a painted ‘mighty eighth’ back which is a thing of beauty. The Japanese makers buzz rickson, the real mccoys and toys McCoy tend to make theirs with thicker leather and not as period correct cut as the likes of aero, Eastman or bill Kelso