closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fear of heights?

Master

Fear of heights?

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJTQKU6L/

My palms are so clammy I need to wash them & it feels like my testicles have retracted into my stomach.

Enjoy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJTQKU6L/

My palms are so clammy I need to wash them & it feels like my testicles have retracted into my stomach.

Enjoy!
    That sort of thing really doesn't bother me - so long as I'm firmly attached. Take the cable away and I'd be gibbering.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    That sort of thing really doesn't bother me - so long as I'm firmly attached. Take the cable away and I'd be gibbering.
    Even just thinking back about the hoops he hooked on the pegs didn’t look enough for my needs! Plus gone clammy again typing that

I went up a ladder to clear moss & lichen from the gutter a few weekends ago. Never realised how much a ladder that long flexes and bounces. Not repeating that again in a hurry, was clinging to that and the window ledge before needing to let go with at least 1 hand to do the deed. Never moved so slowly and steady.

Reminded me of that recent film Fall. From memory looks like a similar sort of tower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not bothered by heights but you would certainly need some stamina just to get up to the top and get back down!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I admit I do get an unpleasant physical response just watching videos like that; the worst ones are the amateurs who do stunts for their own gratification. Why I don't know but I get a sort of uncomfortable ache in my hands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I admit I do get an unpleasant physical response just watching videos like that; the worst ones are the amateurs who do stunts for their own gratification. Why I don't know but I get a sort of uncomfortable ache in my hands.

Watching a professional do almost anything will cause me no problems, whether that's climbing a tall tower, chainsawing a large tree or tackling a forest fire. There's a safety factor built in, these people are trained and (maybe not so much with firefighting) things are well-controlled and people walk away if there's danger.

Amateurs, on the other hand .... they're just scary.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I admit I do get an unpleasant physical response just watching videos like that; Why I don't know but I get a sort of uncomfortable ache in my hands.
    Same, I think it's the feeling of increased adrenaline through the body, which is amazing that we can have such a response through watching something on a small screen, from the comfort of a sofa.

I'm not having a look,don't like the feeling..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Reminded me of that recent film Fall. From memory looks like a similar sort of tower.

Yes it does. That was a sweaty film for sure.

The Chase Tower climbing dude did make a meal of that - Alain Robert would have raced up with no breaks before anyone noticed. Must have been a seriously slow news and crime day in downtown Arizona. [How many police / fire officials do you need on the roof - and seriously, with automatic weapons ?! ].
    P.S. OK, the dude intended to make a meal of it, to bring attention to Pro-Life...
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 17th October 2023 at 15:29.

I'll see you heights, and raise you (see what I did there?) something even more terrifying.... caves.

This week I was reading the horrific story of John Jones, a caver who didn't make it out after exploring a cave system in Utah called The Nutty Putty Cave. I'm claustrophobic and afraid of heights - which makes me normal, in my own mind at least. Not that you'd ever get me up one of those towers to change a light bulb, but at least, if you fell off, it would be quick. In the cave like poor John Jones, not so.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I'll see you heights, and raise you (see what I did there?) something even more terrifying.... caves.

This week I was reading the horrific story of John Jones, a caver who didn't make it out after exploring a cave system in Utah called The Nutty Putty Cave. I'm claustrophobic and afraid of heights - which makes me normal, in my own mind at least. Not that you'd ever get me up one of those towers to change a light bulb, but at least, if you fell off, it would be quick. In the cave like poor John Jones, not so.
    I watched a YouTube clip about a group of divers who explorer an underwater cave many years ago. Can't remember if more than one died. Basically the guy couldn't find his way back out and the oxygen ran out. He was trapped in a lower ceiling and had he moved out 20 or so yards, he could have ascended. Very frightening.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I watched a YouTube clip about a group of divers who explorer an underwater cave many years ago. Can't remember if more than one died. Basically the guy couldn't find his way back out and the oxygen ran out. He was trapped in a lower ceiling and had he moved out 20 or so yards, he could have ascended. Very frightening.

There's not enough money in the world to get me in a cave, especially one under water... The Horror!
    David

Master

Thought that sounded familiar. Was turned into a film, The Last Descent, available on Prime.

Master
    Think this is the worst I’ve seen. One to watch sitting down in case you faint.

https://youtu.be/uQHhYRuaEtM?si=-ta9giDzBS_sV1pD

Just watched the OP light-bulb changing video. $130k per change, twice a year - that's better pay that our CEO! You'd think winching from above would be cheaper / better. I'd be tempted to wear a parachute if climbing that, if nothing else to speed up your descent (if you're a good enough jumper / pilot).

Master
    https://fb.watch/nKp2ot9mrh/

My heart's in my mouth throughout this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Just watched the OP light-bulb changing video. $130k per change, twice a year - that's better pay that our CEO! You'd think winching from above would be cheaper / better. I'd be tempted to wear a parachute if climbing that, if nothing else to speed up your descent (if you're a good enough jumper / pilot).
    You would think that, rather than pay out $260k per year per mast to some lunatic, they would instal a more durable light source, or maybe one that could be swapped out by drone. Or like you say, by a bloke winched out of a helicopter. So I feel a bit sceptical.

The stated $130k for one climb is BS.

I saw this posted elsewhere and a comment was made by a climbing contractor saying the job pays like $20k a month iirc. End of the day it's not rocket science, just a big set of cojones required.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    ... End of the day it's not rocket science, just a big set of cojones required.
    Big cojones and steady hands - you'd be so pissed if you dropped the bulb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Big cojones and steady hands - you'd be so pissed if you dropped the bulb.
    Could you imagine!

There's not enough money in the world to get me in a cave, especially one under water... The Horror!
    I fell in love with diving year's ago, but have always shyed away from going into wrecks, and the thought of cave diving gives me the heebie-jeebies, oddly I've been caving a few times and throughly enjoyed it, as for heights fkuc that for a game of soldiers, we were on Striding Edge a few years ago and my heart was somewhere in my backpack...
    Last edited by number2; 17th October 2023 at 20:18.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I fell in love with diving year's ago, but have always shyed away from going into wrecks, and the thought of cave diving gives me the heebie-jeebies, oddly I've been caving a few times and throughly enjoyed it, as for heights fkuc that for a game of soldiers, we were on Striding Edge a few years ago and my heart was somewhere in my backpack...
    I did a few wreck dives, I enjoyed them but did not enjoy doing them with relatively new divers. Buoyancy up & down, stirring silt up giving me a blind dive scenario, such fun lol. Caves, hell no.

I used to dive and on my honeymoon dived a cenote (underground river) in Mexico. Pitch black, unable to surface, stranger for a buddy, and what appeared to be dodgy equipment - still wonder what the hell inspired me to do it

Heights though - I'm worse than hopeless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I used to dive and on my honeymoon dived a cenote (underground river) in Mexico. Pitch black, unable to surface, stranger for a buddy, and what appeared to be dodgy equipment - still wonder what the hell inspired me to do it

Heights though - I'm worse than hopeless.
    First honeymoon my wife kicked my mask off in a wreck lol

Watch Alex Honnold Free Solo. It’ll give you nightmares

Master
    Blog Entries
    I find Fred Dibnah climbing the overhang at 4 mins in always gets me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3-YwDZrzg&t=163s

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I find Fred Dibnah climbing the overhang at 4 mins in always gets me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3-YwDZrzg&t=163s
    Me too!
    Fred ‘laddering’ a chimney!

https://youtu.be/F04dGK1_wYA?si=P5ABI3wBA5LWnAAe
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    The video of him taking down a chimney is unwatchable for me.

I'm not bothered about heights but what triggers me is enclosed spaces - claustrophobia.

I had three goes at an MRI before I didn't run away and that was because they put me in a machine with open sides, can't do those tubes.

Caving and spelunking is nightmarish to me, although I did go on a guided tour through Chiselhurst caves many years ago. I think it's got worse as I've got older.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    The video of him taking down a chimney is unwatchable for me.
    I know the one you mean. Makes me feel ill trying to watch it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Yep, 100% agree. Just shoot me now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    The stated $130k for one climb is BS.

I saw this posted elsewhere and a comment was made by a climbing contractor saying the job pays like $20k a month iirc. End of the day it's not rocket science, just a big set of cojones required.
    Well if it's twice a year and they pay the guy $20k a month, that sort of works out more or less spot on the stated figure per climb lol. Unless he's got other jobs too of course.

Thought that sounded familiar. Was turned into a film, The Last Descent, available on Prime.
    I didn't know that. Thanks but I think I'll pass. Even watching people crawl through tiny cave passages sets me off.
    David

Heights for me are ok. What gets me is an expanse of water in the dark.
    When I was doing my Police training we had a full size swimming pool and part of getting used to 'night shifts' was to visit the pool in the dark with a torch. Was quite eery hearing the water pumps gurgling too.
    I wouldn't care as I hold a RLSS instructors badge!😳

Heights have always bothered me.

As a child we used to visit Beachy Head from time to time and there used to be (may have collapsed) a sort of stack that you could walk onto via a very narrow path only a couple of steps long and look down at the lighthouse (well, that's my memory) and I often used to have nightmares about falling off it (oddly I always floated down the last few feet!).

I still don't like vertical drops, cliffs, sides of buildings, towers, etc.

Quite happy diving in total darkness though - In fact, I love it!
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    https://fb.watch/nKp2ot9mrh/

My heart's in my mouth throughout this.

There was a new line opened up on the course this year called the battleship. The exposure of that tiny ridge was just wild.

Have watched many an Alex Honold film but Fred Dinbah is really something else.

There's a film on Netflix called "The Alpinist" which is well worth a watch. Features a guy soloing ice climbs. Absolute madness.

I grew up around rock climbers but certainly have a healthy sense of fear around exposed edges. Just makes my knees buckle as I get near an edge.

Master
    Never been comfortable with heights, on a ladder decorating in the house is my limit, oddly my first job(30 years) was as an engineer in the coal mining industry, underground, never happy working in the shaft, I’d have worn two harness’s if it were possible. Yet I love roller coasters, the higher, faster the better, maybe it’s the speed.
    Last edited by Pitfitter; 19th October 2023 at 12:59.

Must of watched those Fred videos many times but just realised how he held the ladder. He was grabbing on to the sides of the ladder and not the rungs. Is there a safety/ technical reason for that or is that just his technique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Perhaps Fred never let go with his hands? He could have just relaxed his grip to slide them up up as his feet propelled him up a rung at a time, so 3points of contact at all times?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Perhaps Fred never let go with his hands? He could have just relaxed his grip to slide them up up as his feet propelled him up a rung at a time, so 3points of contact at all times?
    Makes sense, although with a foot slip I bet he’d rather a hand on a rung than the large friction burn.

Depths do it for me too, even though I know I’m not going to suddenly fall down through the water given I’m buoyant. Remember in Sharm just off the hotel reef, there was a ledge and the floor just disappeared, was so dark down there, and the water dropped it temperature over it.

Idly snorkelling watching fish and then felt the temp drop, realised why, looked down & I was swimming like Jaws was coming at me, just had to get out. Assume it startled a few others!

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Must of watched those Fred videos many times but just realised how he held the ladder. He was grabbing on to the sides of the ladder and not the rungs. Is there a safety/ technical reason for that or is that just his technique?
    Fire Service teach to ascend/descend holding the rounds (rungs) and 3 points of contact at all times.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Most caves do not feel as claustrphobic as you might expect. The air is usually pretty fresh, there's often a very gently draught and at a steady 8C underground in the UK, you don't often over heat.
    There are even quite a few UK cave systems where you can walk around for miles.
    Yes there are squeezes, and some passages are tight and wriggly, but that is only a fraction of what caving's about.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Fire Service teach to ascend/descend holding the rounds (rungs) and 3 points of contact at all times.
    Which seems the most logical to me, I guess he had his reasons to climb that way but for me it doesn't leave a lot of room for slips and errors