closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which watch next?

Blog Entries

Which watch next?

Having got the BLNR at last, thoughts obviously turn to the next watch.

The three I’m mainly considering are the Sub no date, Explorer 40 and the Air King. The Oyster Perpetual is hovering around the edge.

Any thoughts and real life experiences of these would be appreciated.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

The three I’m mainly considering are the Sub no date, Explorer 40 and the Air King. The Oyster Perpetual is hovering around the edge.

To me the AK and Explorer are more or less the same watch, just one's kept it coherent, the others a bit of a dogs breakfast with added crown guards...so the Explorer wins it. Do you want a no date less colourful version of the BLNR, if so get the Sub...

I'd have an OP, the white one they discontinued, if I had to choose.

Craftsman
    Out of the three you listed, regardless of what you already have, I’d go with the Explorer.

Although, having worn the 39mm Explorer long term, this feels ‘the right size’ (for me, at least). Think the 40mm is pushing it, but possibly an unpopular opinion!

My view is that the Sub, GMT, and Yachtmaster 40 are basically the same watch with slightly different spec/features so depending on what other watches are in your collection I'd go for something different. Despite the resdesign the Airking is still the ugly duckling of the bunch and having owned an Oyster Perpetual, as nice as it was, it is a boring watch.

So that leaves the Explorer 40, but if it were me I'd be looking at a DJ41 on Jubilee with a fluted bezel.

It depends what else you have but out of the list I would go no date Sub. I wore mine for just over and put on a Royal Oak instead. Lasted six days and I’m back in the no date Sub now.

For my money you can’t beat the no date sub and the D-Blue. Air King logo reminds me of the Morrisons logo so I couldn’t touch one.

Blog Entries
    So far the Air King is not very popular. I must admit I'm on a knife edge between loving it's quirkiness and hating it. So probably not a wise choice. Looks like the Oyster Perpetual has probably moved up a place.

Can’t go wrong with any of them but I would also open your mind up to other brands too….
    If it was me out of the three you mention then the Explorer 40mm.
    Last edited by shalako; 17th October 2023 at 13:04.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Can’t go wrong with any of them but I would also open your mind up to other brands too….
    If it was me out of the three you mention then the Explorer 40mm.
    I have been looking at other brands. I already have Omega's and Seiko's for example. I was hankering after a Tag Monaco but tried one on recently and it was just too thick. Reminded me of a bar of Dairy Milk sitting on the wrist! Shame really because I do like the look of them. Always fancied a Formula One Tag and a Longines Hydroconquest but they would probably be an addition rather than a substitution for the other choices.
    I never fancied the Explorer before but the 40mm size brought it into the picture for me.

Couple of my older Omega's. (Old pics)

Master
    Sub no date for me.. for the glidelock! Otherwise stick your name for the daytona and wear the BLNR for however long it takes.

Master
    Love the Sub, but as you have an BLNR I’d go for the explorer out of your choices. I have a 39 MkII and think very are fantastic versatile watches.

As a left field choice I’d look at a DJ41 smooth bezel on jubilee.

Master
    So far the Air King is not very popular. I must admit I'm on a knife edge between loving it's quirkiness and hating it. So probably not a wise choice. Looks like the Oyster Perpetual has probably moved up a place.
    Well, I’m going against the grain here. I thought the Explorer was dull as dish water when I tried it on, so bought the Air-King. I didn’t like the previous Air-King… the dial looked out of balance with the ‘5’. The revised version is far better in my view. It’s become my daily wearer.

But, this is from the guy who also prefers the black dial Explorer II over the more popular polar… so what do I know !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Sub no date for me.. for the glidelock! Otherwise stick your name for the daytona and wear the BLNR for however long it takes.
    Ha ha, es the gridlock is a plus for sure. I think I was lucky to get the BLNR so the Daytona would probably be a stretch!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Love the Sub, but as you have an BLNR I’d go for the explorer out of your choices. I have a 39 MkII and think very are fantastic versatile watches.

As a left field choice I’d look at a DJ41 smooth bezel on jubilee.
    I had a TT DJ41 with a fluted bezel on a jubilee and it was a stunning watch, just seemed a bit OTT sometimes if that's possible!

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Well, I’m going against the grain here. I thought the Explorer was dull as dish water when I tried it on, so bought the Air-King. I didn’t like the previous Air-King… the dial looked out of balance with the ‘5’. The revised version is far better in my view. It’s become my daily wearer.

But, this is from the guy who also prefers the black dial Explorer II over the more popular polar… so what do I know !
    I can see your point about the Explorer being a bit shall we say 'not exciting' but that's probably it's attraction. The Air King is definitely 'busier'. Must admit I love my polar Exp II!

Some great views folks many thanks, it's nice to get different perspectives, a lot of which I hadn't considered. Watches are so subjective and there can never be a 'right' or 'wrong' answer, just different ones.

Master
    I had a TT DJ41 with a fluted bezel on a jubilee and it was a stunning watch, just seemed a bit OTT sometimes if that's possible!

I can see your point about the Explorer being a bit shall we say 'not exciting' but that's probably it's attraction. The Air King is definitely 'busier'. Must admit I love my polar Exp II!

Some great views folks many thanks, it's nice to get different perspectives, a lot of which I hadn't considered. Watches are so subjective and there can never be a 'right' or 'wrong' answer, just different ones.

I’ve just bought an AK 116900 , to be honest I’m not 100% sure , when I wore it I liked it and if you can buy one at sensible money then give one a go .
    Let me throw something out there an Explorer 216570 , these are fantastic watches and unbelievable value if you ask me , I absolutely love my polar .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    I’ve just bought an AK 116900 , to be honest I’m not 100% sure , when I wore it I liked it and if you can buy one at sensible money then give one a go .
    Let me throw something out there an Explorer 216570 , these are fantastic watches and unbelievable value if you ask me , I absolutely love my polar .
    I already have the polar.

Does the AK wear small or big?

Master
    I already have the polar.

Does the AK wear small or big?

Seems to wear big in my opinion .

PS might be worth giving Dominic at Hackettwatches a shout as I bought mine from him and he’s got another full set coming .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    Seems to wear big in my opinion .

PS might be worth giving Dominic at Hackettwatches a shout as I bought mine from him and he’s got another full set coming .
    Thanks for the heads up but I’ve always bought from the dealers so far.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd try to find a grey with all in stock for you to view.

Personally the ND sub is my favourite Rolex but the BLNR is a bit samey so you might want something like an OP for variety

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I'd try to find a grey with all in stock for you to view.

Personally the ND sub is my favourite Rolex but the BLNR is a bit samey so you might want something like an OP for variety
    That might help but I’m not very good at pretending to be interested, I always feel bad about it and I’m sure it shows!

I think I’m narrowing it down to the ND Sub and the Exp 40mm.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No date all day long.

I don’t think Ak/exp would keep your interest given the rest of your collection.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    No date all day long.

I don’t think Ak/exp would keep your interest given the rest of your collection.
    Valid point C, never thought of it like that.

The Explorer has managed to remain my favourite watch I've owned for 4 years running, so that'll get my vote. More exciting options for a watch box sure, but on the wrist it's hard to beat IMO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    The Explorer has managed to remain my favourite watch I've owned for 4 years running, so that'll get my vote. More exciting options for a watch box sure, but on the wrist it's hard to beat IMO.
    Thanks for that. To be fair I think it’s a nice watch, I’m just not sure it beats the Sub no date for me.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Agreed.

Although the Explorer is often seen as a boring watch its simplicity is what makes it so great.

Craftsman
    Explorer 36mm all day long....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    Explorer 36mm all day long....
    36mm too small I’m afraid.

I think a BLRO and a sub ND are an unbeatable Rolex duo (I am biased)

If you’ve got a BLNR maybe an Explorer 40 is the right combo watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk