closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ninja Foodi....be careful !

Ninja Foodi....be careful !

Hi

Just a word of warning following our experience yesterday am....

Ninja was plugged in & on at the socket only....had been used approx 10x minutes earlier , but was off at the time it decided to suffer a major problem & meltdown.

Luckily we were in the house and able to deal with the fire !

Our main cooker , kitchen worktop and hallway carpet were damaged by the molten black plastic/flames & heat which are all now having to be replaced under insurance.

We won't be having another one & it was only 13x months old. Our insurer's advised they have a number of ongoing claims with Ninja and will be asking them to refund our excess cost.

Best Neil

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master

Which model was that? Cheers for the heads up :) They might issue a recall I reckon.

Hi

This one: Ninja Foodi MAX 9-in-1 Multi-Cooker 7.5L OP500UK

Best Neil

Master
    Noted thanks, we have the 15-1 similar model so will bear that in mind.

Master
    I have 15-1 too. But I will keep in mind.

Doesn't give me much confidence using the dehydrator function!

Glad you were able to deal with it and all is ok.

Many thanks . My son has one of these (same model) and has been shown the thread. Given the number of recall notices seen in the windows of Argos and TKMAX it doesn’t surprise me.

Wow! Good job you were in.

Just told my Mrs, she has got a Tower double air fryer but apparently always unplugs it when not in use.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Surely Ninja should be paying for all the damage not just the excess? Why should it affect your insurance premium!?

It seems pretty rife. They’ve had a few large scale recalls before, too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2063438.html

Master
    That is pretty horrific. Glad all are safe at home, despite the damage.

I think we have the same one, or at least it looks the same as your model.

Can you describe any further what happened?

Do you think it was because it was still plugged in?

It just simply caught fire or got too hot or something else? Just want to make sure we look out for the signs and any actions we can take to avoid!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow. Glad I still haven't bought an air fryer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Wow. Glad I still haven't bought an air fryer yet.
    There are plenty of safe ones out there, but as with anything handheld or countertop duty that include a heavy duty heating element - run it when it is attended and kill the supply when it is not in use.

I don't think it is residual heat - more an electrical short on the unit primary side.

But - sensible to avoid that NINJA brand

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    That is pretty horrific. Glad all are safe at home, despite the damage.

I think we have the same one, or at least it looks the same as your model.

Can you describe any further what happened?

Do you think it was because it was still plugged in?

It just simply caught fire or got too hot or something else? Just want to make sure we look out for the signs and any actions we can take to avoid!
    Hi

Thanks for the reply....

Difficult to tell....it all happened very quickly....

I know the appliance was definitely off & I know it didn't trip any fuse. Only plugged in & the switch still switched on.

Ninja appears to have failed at the back ( and of course then melted out the bottom ) , no damage to the front or top/lid front area.

Flames were nearly 1ft high at one point.

An error happened earlier this week when it was asking for the metal ' pot ' to be located even though it was already in place which was unusual and a bit strange.

Only advice I can give is never ever leave it unsupervised when cooking or plugged in when not in use.

We will not buy another one & will now stick to the ( new & insurance replacement ) main cooker.

Best Neil

Bloody hell, it's good to hear you're all ok and it wasn't worse.
    "A man of little significance"

Never understood the clamour for air fryers. We've managed for decades with gas hob and electric fan oven. An expensive worktop gadget that cooks a bit quicker always seemed a bit pointless. Like HS2.

Glad no one was hurt, but I agree that Ninja should be paying to rectify the damage and not raising your premiums. Scary stuff.

I wonder how many people leave these plugged in after use?

Glad you were able to put it out before it escalated. Ironic username given the topic OP!

They do cost a fair but more but I can thoroughly recommend the Vorwerk Thermomix TM6. Absolutely several levels above the Ninja, we'd never be without one and they are indestructible- you'll get a good 15 years out of one and the connectivity is fantastic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Glad you were able to put it out before it escalated. Ironic username given the topic OP!

They do cost a fair but more but I can thoroughly recommend the Vorwerk Thermomix TM6. Absolutely several levels above the Ninja, we'd never be without one and they are indestructible- you'll get a good 15 years out of one and the connectivity is fantastic.
    Haha, you always manage to raise the game Ryan! I have toyed with one of these for a good few months, my issue is as much as I love the idea of the automation that I also love to cook / flip food in the pan chef style etc & this doesn't help with that; I struggle with cooking anything I have to leave a lid on and not fiddle!

Since the kitchen was re-done 2yrs ago, everything I have eaten (aside from eating out) has been scratch cooked, it is my time, my space and I love having the time to do it. God, when I retire I will be playing even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Never understood the clamour for air fryers. We've managed for decades with gas hob and electric fan oven. An expensive worktop gadget that cooks a bit quicker always seemed a bit pointless. Like HS2.

Glad no one was hurt, but I agree that Ninja should be paying to rectify the damage and not raising your premiums. Scary stuff.

I wonder how many people leave these plugged in after use?
    They are faster and use less energy

Interesting in the US a very similar product has been recalled for catching fire, the always seem to be on it when it comes to consumer issues

Master

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    They are faster and use less energy
    Yeap, wouldn’t be without ours in our household. Saves me heating up a large oven to cook 3 jacket potatoes for 1hr30min. If you want to save money and you have a small family then they make sense. They are essentially a small efficient fan oven .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Yeap, wouldn’t be without ours in our household. Saves me heating up a large oven to cook 3 jacket potatoes for 1hr30min. If you want to save money and you have a small family then they make sense. They are essentially a small efficient fan oven .
    FUGLY things though, we have a 5L one that lives in a cupboard. I’d love a 10L but I then can’t hide it away. Our kitchen is on the minimalist side, coffee machine, alessi kettle, granite pestle & mortar and then a kitchen aid mixer.

Perhaps someone needs to make a premium one without going as far as the thermomix as don’t need all the functionality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    FUGLY things though, we have a 5L one that lives in a cupboard. I’d love a 10L but I then can’t hide it away. Our kitchen is on the minimalist side, coffee machine, alessi kettle, granite pestle & mortar and then a kitchen aid mixer.

Perhaps someone needs to make a premium one without going as far as the thermomix as don’t need all the functionality.

Agree with you on that. Luckily we have a reasonable amount of worktop space otherwise it would be a no go. The 9.5 litre twin one is used 5 days a week and a 15-1 multi which is great for slowcook ,pressure cooking and Sunday roasting lives primarily in a cupboard. They are a life changer for quick turnaround cooking though. I will however watch out following the topic of this thread!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Agree with you on that. Luckily we have a reasonable amount of worktop space otherwise it would be a no go. The 9.5 litre twin one is used 5 days a week and a 15-1 multi which is great for slowcook ,pressure cooking and Sunday roasting lives primarily in a cupboard. They are a life changer for quick turnaround cooking though. I will however watch out following the topic of this thread!!
    We have loads too, just having spent on a dream kitchen the thought of something like that visible doesn’t work for us style wise.

2 person household here, and the large ones are probably too much ongoing, yet the smaller one means we are limited for what we can cook with it beyond the chips, tenders etc.

Goes against the speed, but rather light the Egg up and cook there, I’m guessing as no kids it allows us the option of time there, I know my other friends have a different view on speed of cooking juggling hectic schedules etc.

My only hectic ones are my wife doing Zumba twice a week and trying to meal plan that is hectic. Maybe with a larger air fryer basket it could make life easier.

Baked potato is something I’ve never tried.

Master
    We have the same issues as you with not wanting to have it on display all the time Mj2k.

We managed to put it away every time. My wife uses it fairly regularly but still does put it away. I agree they’re a slightly ugly unit to leave on display at all times. We also though have a minimalist design and so it would stick out like a sore thumb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    We have the same issues as you with not wanting to have it on display all the time Mj2k.

We managed to put it away every time. My wife uses it fairly regularly but still does put it away. I agree they’re a slightly ugly unit to leave on display at all times. We also though have a minimalist design and so it would stick out like a sore thumb.
    Good to not be alone with this! I would almost prefer one that looked like a mixer or coffee maker, so as not to stand out as much.

Twin basket is great, but too wide to fit away where ours does. The one I like the idea of is the wide 'single' one where you have 2 cooking sections but can use as a single unit wen required; but don't want to store a food cooking item in the garage.

Way OT anyway!

Master
    Surprised by this . If it shorted I would have expected an RCD to fire , you might want to get the socket and your mains checked . Weird it burned like that too , I’d have expected charring and a lot of smoke with some melted but not alight plastic. Was there oil in it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Surprised by this . If it shorted I would have expected an RCD to fire , you might want to get the socket and your mains checked . Weird it burned like that too , I’d have expected charring and a lot of smoke with some melted but not alight plastic. Was there oil in it ?
    Hi

No oil in it....you can see the metal pot in the picture which was clean inside & out.

The fire has clearly started between the pot and rear lower outer plastic casing. I was very surprised just how well the case was burning and melting at the same time.

Socket appears to be fine as is the fuse box and the kettle works fine when plugged into the same point.

Insurers have asked me to keep hold of the Ninja and not to dispose of it.

Best Neil

Yikes. We have the exact same model !!
    Good heads up

Glad you're all OK.

There's a similar thing going on with Cosori also. Product recall in place for US
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 18th October 2023 at 00:31.