closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jazz clubs in London

Jazz clubs in London

Very short notice a friend is over from Dallas for one night in London, tomorrow! I asked what he wanted to do and he said he likes jazz, only place I know Ronnie Scott’s and that seems booked up unless I go to the late show at midnight (he’s a friend but not that much of one).

Any jazz fans who can recommend anything please? I appreciate this is very short notice.

Even if it’s a restaurant that plays jazz?

Jazz clubs in London

Not much to offer, except a simple listing including for tomorrow.

http://www.jazzlondonlive.com/jazz-dates

Or

https://www.jazznearyou.com/london/c....php?width=412

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 13th October 2023 at 17:35.

The 606 have John Crawford on and The Vortex have Rory Ingham on….both should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just spoke to my son and Pizza Express have regular events on there.

Ronnie Scott’s?

Master
    The 28-50 was recommended by a friend, but I have haven't been.

https://2850bynight.co.uk/

The late late shows are good fun, but I've only ever been after having attended the main show too - the bar upstairs I found very lacklustre in terms of ambience and the music, but that was only once (because I prefer the downstairs).

The Bulls Head in Barnes can have some cracking stuff on:
    https://tickets.thebullsheadbarnes.com/

Check out what live music is on at the Boisdale- there are several venues. Food is excellent too.

Master
    Jazz Cafe? Not sure there’s one in central though.

If all else fails Oliver’s Jazz Bar in Greenwich is one of my local go-to places when I’m there and may be worth checking out.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, a few I hadn’t looked at. Let’s see what comes up.

Craftsman
    Cafe Oto in dalston for the broad of mind and open of ear

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    The 28-50 was recommended by a friend, but I have haven't been.

https://2850bynight.co.uk/

It was a late booking so I knew we'd have trouble, but we ended up here, unfortunately I booked on line and actually booked their sister restaurant but we didn't discover this until they had seated up and taken our food order, my mistake but they didn't make a fuss they just sorted it, I do wonder whose table we had as they were full Saturday night.

I'm no Jazz fan so couldn't comment on the music but my friend said it was good, food and drink was fare price and ok, staff were very busy but friendly and rushing everywhere.

This was my first experience of a jazz club but I wonder.....
    1. I are they always that dark inside? I had to use my mobile as a torch to read the menu.
    2. My friend said it was rude people were allowed to talk while the band perform, apparently in Dallas they ask people to be quiet?
    3. Does the singer just make it up as they go along or are the doo,wop, be, bop schwing bits scripted?

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    ...<snip>Does the singer just make it up as they go along or are the doo,wop, be, bop schwing bits scripted?
    That's called 'scat singing' or 'scatting': there's a reasonable explanation of it on Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scat_singing
    ______

​Jim.

For future reference.. My local The Bulls Head Barnes has something going on most nights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    It was a late booking so I knew we'd have trouble, but we ended up here, unfortunately I booked on line and actually booked their sister restaurant but we didn't discover this until they had seated up and taken our food order, my mistake but they didn't make a fuss they just sorted it, I do wonder whose table we had as they were full Saturday night.

I'm no Jazz fan so couldn't comment on the music but my friend said it was good, food and drink was fare price and ok, staff were very busy but friendly and rushing everywhere.

1. I are they always that dark inside? I had to use my mobile as a torch to read the menu.
    2. My friend said it was rude people were allowed to talk while the band perform, apparently in Dallas they ask people to be quiet?
    3. Does the singer just make it up as they go along or are the doo,wop, be, bop schwing bits scripted?
    Thanks for the review. I must go at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Ronnie Scott’s?
    Good suggestion.

Master

Ronnie Scott's has a pretty strict STFU policy.... Shut The F*** Up and announce it before all gigs

I'm a member there and it is adhered to strictly. Some of the acts there are not particularly jazz but have that environment and is as dark as you describe to set the mood.

I saw Nigel Kennedy on Saturday and that was sold out months ago; so you had no chance apart form the late show.

the level of Doo wop etc depends on the act, but not that often to be honest