closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Talking watches - Ed Sheeran

Talking watches - Ed Sheeran

One I’ve been waiting for has just been released.

John Mayer doing an episode of Talking Watches on Hodinkee. Should be really interesting but no doubt represents less than 1% of what Ed has.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ta...hes-ed-sheeran

Just watched it. Good episode, Sheeran comes across as down to earth, Meyer a bit more intense and 'me too'.

Beautiful Roger Smith in the episode.

Interestingly Sheeran's most worn brand? G Shock!

I like Ed and enjoyed his recent Netflix documentary, always comes across as talented & down to earth, also read he’s generous to those who work with him behind the scenes. The collectors edition Hodinkee done was also worth watching https://youtu.be/UC7jm3D70NE unsure how much overlaps with the Talking Watches

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Agree with your take Ryan. Sheeran comes across as completely normal and Mayer as usual is playing to the camera. Would have been a better episode with Clymer.

The elephant in the room when Mayer was talking about being a true artist and the bravery to forgo residual values was that Sheeran has net worth of £300m. The comment from Mayer about us peasants being able to experience the same joy that someone like Ed gets from a Patek with a $180 G-Shock was a bit crass.

40 mins in so far and it’s a great episode with a very good collection

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Agree with your take Ryan. Sheeran comes across as completely normal and Mayer as usual is playing to the camera. Would have been a better episode with Clymer.

The elephant in the room when Mayer was talking about being a true artist and the bravery to forgo residual values was that Sheeran has net worth of £300m. The comment from Mayer about us peasants being able to experience the same joy that someone like Ed gets from a Patek with a $180 G-Shock was a bit crass.

Yeah agree, they live in a different echelon, best evidenced by what they both agree to buy and gets delivered right at the end, because a 'deal's a deal'.

A good watch (pun intended) so far. Anyone else notice the missing strap screw on his Patek?

[IMG][/IMG]

Master
    Will watch that later. Edd Sheeran always comes across well.

For anyone who hasn't watched it, make sure you watch right to the very end. And I agree with those saying about Sheeran being down to earth. Seems a really nice guy.
    Last edited by Neely8; 12th October 2023 at 19:25.

Master
    Thanks OP - great viewing. If I had a net worth of £300m I hope I’d come across as down to earth as Ed Sheeran.

Hodinkee just gave notice that the yellow Ed Sheeran GShock will be available to buy next week.

Great if you're a Norwich or Dortmund fan but as for me I'll pass.

Master
    Not watched this one, but enjoyed this earlier one with Ben Clymer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC7jm3D70NE

Edit: Just spotted, already posted above.

Ed came across very well. His collection is awesome and mostly worn and all dinged up. All worn as a true enthusiast rather than a collector. John came across less well as he just wanted to circle-jerk Patek references and justify his own watch collection philosophy, most of which was just horseshit. In the end this was mostly about John Mayer asking Ed Sheeran crass nerdy questions but not letting Ed get much of a word in while he riffed on and on about his own Patek obsession.

Either way, this is two very rich boys, with the means to get the very pinnacle of the watch world to make them their very own unique pieces. It was all a bit obscene really and I felt a bit dirty afterwards. Some nice watches though.

It feels like Meyer’s only interest in his guest’s answers is that they allow him to make a related point, usually about himself. Even his questions seem to foreshadow his desire to express his own experience or point of view. He’s so pleased with himself. That’s a shame because he’s so fantastically well informed and deep in the hobby.

The whole world of “piece unique” for rich celebs was interesting and Ed has an incredibly eclectic and refreshingly lived-in collection.
    The Framlingham watch made me laugh out loud Brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my friend's claim to fame was that he taught Ed Sheeran music at the high school in Framlingham. At the time, I was teaching music at the high school in the neighbouring village of Debenham. I love Ed's PP piece unique featuring Framlingham on the dial. Just a shame he didn't get the castle engraved within an enamel dial!

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    One of my friend's claim to fame was that he taught Ed Sheeran music at the high school in Framlingham.
    So it's his fault!

Mayer is a narcissist. Some of the watches on display were nice though. I liked the twenty minutes they spent hawking the yellow GShock to us filthy poors, classy stuff. Clymer sitting just off camera was weirdly unsettling. Was he stroking it? I bet the thought crossed his mind...

Craftsman
    Enjoyed watching that. Thanks!

The guy seems down to earth (as one could be), with good span across brands and he clearly wears them!

Master
    Enjoyable watch. Mayer's always been very fond of himself and you just have to take it for what it is. Hell of a guitarist though. Enjoyed listening to Ed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No idea who the American bloke is but looks like he loves himself a bit too much. That aside an interesting watch. Sheehan comes across as a genuine nice guy who’s made it big without it going to his head.

Watch collecting would be a different hobby with unlimited funds.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

I agree - I thought is was slightly ridiculous Mayer praised Sheeran for customising watches regardless of value when
    Sheeran is one of the richest blokes in music ever.
    According to Billboard website John Mayer has grossed $375m in concert ticket sales….so neither are struggling

https://www.billboard.com/pro/john-m...ngs-first-leg/

The thing I find slightly wierd about stuff like this is that they see and preach virtue and value at the two ends of the scale, but nothing in between.

"Oh, I really should have bought that particular Patek"
    "This AP piece unique is quite subtle"
    and "This G-Shock is fanatastic"

But the real world where mortals collect is totally ignored

Nothing about genuine rarity, meaning watches that were produced rare, not ones that are rare because they are so obscenely expensive that only very few can buy.
    Their thoughts about having to wait 20 months or more for something were a little cringey. I have spent comfortably longer than that trying to find certain watches, never knowing that I was going to actually find one.

This fantasy world stuff is especially frustrating as people like Mayer and Sheeran can skip straight to the front of every waiting list known to man. They are not waiting to find out whether they can have it, they are only waiting for their piece unique to be made.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing enthusiastic guys talk about nice watches.
    But a little more appreciation that they live in the stratospheric heights might help.

As might a few more pieces in that middle ground. Ones that show a genuine appreciation for the full range of watches, rather than just the extents of what they can afford or commission.

I don't know, one of the more esoteric Omega Megaquartz watches from the 70s, a vintage (non-Rolex) chrono, or a nice vintage military watch. Something else to ground the collection in reality.

And I'm sorry, but if I see someone wearing a Moonswatch, I am much more likely to conclude they are not a watch collector, rather than being convinced they are.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I find it hard to watch this Mayer character. Something of a tool I would say.

Ed Sheeran seems alright.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The thing I find slightly wierd about stuff like this is that they see and preach virtue and value at the two ends of the scale, but nothing in between.

"Oh, I really should have bought that particular Patek"
    "This AP piece unique is quite subtle"
    and "This G-Shock is fanatastic"

But the real world where mortals collect is totally ignored

Nothing about genuine rarity, meaning watches that were produced rare, not ones that are rare because they are so obscenely expensive that only very few can buy.
    Their thoughts about having to wait 20 months or more for something were a little cringey. I have spent comfortably longer than that trying to find certain watches, never knowing that I was going to actually find one.

This fantasy world stuff is especially frustrating as people like Mayer and Sheeran can skip straight to the front of every waiting list known to man. They are not waiting to find out whether they can have it, they are only waiting for their piece unique to be made.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing enthusiastic guys talk about nice watches.
    But a little more appreciation that they live in the stratospheric heights might help.

As might a few more pieces in that middle ground. Ones that show a genuine appreciation for the full range of watches, rather than just the extents of what they can afford or commission.

I don't know, one of the more esoteric Omega Megaquartz watches from the 70s, a vintage (non-Rolex) chrono, or a nice vintage military watch. Something else to ground the collection in reality.

And I'm sorry, but if I see someone wearing a Moonswatch, I am much more likely to conclude they are not a watch collector, rather than being convinced they are.
    To be fair Sheeran did say he had recently gotten into Rolex and had a Batman which he uses as a kind of day to day. I think it was just a case of him showcasing the most remarkable pieces from his collection rather than all of them. I don't think many viewers care to see a GMTII or a Speedy Pro but are interested in seeing a Roger Smith for example

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Was he stroking it? I bet the thought crossed his mind...
    Sounds like it crossed yours!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    To be fair Sheeran did say he had recently gotten into Rolex and had a Batman which he uses as a kind of day to day. I think it was just a case of him showcasing the most remarkable pieces from his collection rather than all of them. I don't think many viewers care to see a GMTII or a Speedy Pro but are interested in seeing a Roger Smith for example
    I am not suggesting that he needed to have anything "run-of-the-mill". All I am suggesting is that his collection seems to be entirely based on spending a lot of money and leveraging his celebrity to get to the front of the queue with a few select manufacturers.
    There was nothing in there that was related to rarity, in terms of something vintage that might be hard to find
    Nor was there anything that spoke of a knowledge of vintage or watch history, something with heritage and character that he appreciated for having that.

In that sense I thought what we saw (and I am sure his collection is much larger than that) was quite one-dimensional. Everything was bought new.

I am not suggesting that he needed to have anything "run-of-the-mill". All I am suggesting is that his collection seems to be entirely based on spending a lot of money and leveraging his celebrity to get to the front of the queue with a few select manufacturers.
    There was nothing in there that was related to rarity, in terms of something vintage that might be hard to find
    Nor was there anything that spoke of a knowledge of vintage or watch history, something with heritage and character that he appreciated for having that.

In that sense I thought what we saw (and I am sure his collection is much larger than that) was quite one-dimensional. Everything was bought new.
    Well as he said in the interview he buys his watches to wear them and rough them up on stage. If he had a vintage Rolex Daytona for example it may not stand up to the rigours he puts them through.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Well as he said in the interview he buys his watches to wear them and rough them up on stage. If he had a vintage Rolex Daytona for example it may not stand up to the rigours he puts them through.
    Didn't he mention in the video that he actually owns a Newman?

I personally really enjoyed the video.

Ah, the old chestnut that anyone serious about watches has to be into vintage. Really?

As for using his celebrity to get to the front of queues, nothing new there. Why wouldn’t he?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ah, the old chestnut that anyone serious about watches has to be into vintage. Really?

As for using his celebrity to get to the front of queues, nothing new there. Why wouldn’t he?
    Totally agree, why is it wrong for a new enthusiast to enjoy new watches, this mentality of a closed shop baffles me.

In terms of him using his celebrity to curry favour, I think we would all be the same.

I too enjoyed the video and Sheeran comes across like a genuine bloke as he always does in fairness.

Master
    Have to agreed about Mayer, very cringe worthy and does seem very self obsessed.

Totally different world. I’d like Hodinkee to run a series that is a little more down to earth on normal people’s cool collections maybe.

Craftsman
    Seemed to mainly be a promotion for AP , Ed seemed ok , Mayer not so much , Pity both make shit music

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

I thought it was worth watching, he treated a G-SHOCK and a Patek in the same way also interesting he has the phone numbers of the watch company bosses, so doesn’t have to go into shops
    Last edited by adrianw; 15th October 2023 at 10:36.

Master
    Blog Entries
    With his money I’d add a few vintage Heuers and a nice IWC mark XI and some other iconic classics.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Not at all. He clearly has a very serious collection, and it gives him great joy, which is fine.
    My point is that it doesn't do anything for me, because it is effectively a very large wealth flex, and that isn't my thing.
    The creepy way Mayer fawned over a lot of it also didn't help, but the point remains that it was a collection that left me completely cold, apart from Sheeran's complete attachment to his first quartz watch that he bought with his (now deceased) mate.

I also have no problem using his status to get what he wants. Why not, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    Seemed to mainly be a promotion for AP , Ed seemed ok , Mayer not so much , Pity both make shit music

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Factually they don't "both make shit music", they make incredibly successful music that just doesn't happen to be to your taste.

Source: hundreds of millions of record sales

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    Have to agreed about Mayer, very cringe worthy and does seem very self obsessed.

Totally different world. I’d like Hodinkee to run a series that is a little more down to earth on normal people’s cool collections maybe.
    WatchBox channel on youtube have recently been speaking with non celeb guys and showing their collections.Might be what your looking for

Craftsman
    Watched it... Mayer has been into watches a long time and I think Ed is just copying him really which is fine. Thought it a bit crass they both got the Spiderman watch as buddy watches just for laughs.. 500k which could have done something a lot more useful but then you spend your money how you like..no one else's business.. our son has Mayer's three G-Shocks and is a big ed fan so registered for the subtract one..

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Watched it... Mayer has been into watches a long time and I think Ed is just copying him really which is fine. Thought it a bit crass they both got the Spiderman watch as buddy watches just for laughs.. 500k which could have done something a lot more useful but then you spend your money how you like..no one else's business.. our son has Mayer's three G-Shocks and is a big ed fan so registered for the subtract one..
    There are two more Mayer-ish G-Shocks coming in Nov and Dec.

Over the next three months, we will unveil limited edition watches with three very different collaborators - each an artist and tastemaker in their own right, connected to John Mayer through music, design, and of course watches.
    https://le.hodinkee.com/g-shock-for-hodinkee

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Sheeran has been into watches for years.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    John Mayer can talk some crap!.

Grand Master
    A friend of mine is his tattooist and even as early as his initial tattoos he would stay at Eds and was given 2 watches, one for Christmas and one for tatoooing. Both were G Shocks and remain very sentimental
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think Sheeran likes watches and collects them as he attaches memories to them so they provide a physical reminder of a particular time or event. Much as I do at a much lower level I guess.

Mayer seems more into collecting exclusive and unobtainable items ... he seems less sentimental about them ... a different collectors mentality but collecting stuff is not particularly logical anyway ...

Quote Originally Posted by scwazrh View Post
    WatchBox channel on youtube have recently been speaking with non celeb guys and showing their collections.Might be what your looking for
    Wanted to say thanks for the suggestion...been really enjoying WatchBox and the videos of collections. A really refreshing change to Hodinkee....although they all still have some very serious watches!

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Fascinating.
    Ed does not mind customising expensive watches and does not mind about the change in value.
    Which, just because he has worn them, would probably skyrocket were he ever to sell them. And for charity.

My favourithe thing though is how the watches are worn, woth dings and stuff, as a great watch weare would do. Rock on!

Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk

Finally watched this over the weekend in 2 sittings. Ed came across as I thought he would (nice guy) and didn’t think Mayer was as bad as this thread made out. Overall enjoyed it, yes they both have far more money than I either will, but I enjoy Ed’s look on life, many could learn from that.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app