closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Black Bay 54 opinions.

Tudor Black Bay 54 opinions.

I own a beautiful BB58 Blue, it is in my eyes the perfect daily wearer, so much so I am considering buying the BB58 Black.

My question though, has anyone had a decent amount of wrist time with the new BB54 as that would make more sense I think than the BB58 Black to compliment my Blue.

I have a good spread of watch sizes, from 34mm upto 47mm.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Last edited by paneristi372; 3rd October 2023 at 15:16.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I tried one on yesterday; I have a BB58 black.

Very similar watches obviously ... just a bit smaller.

Probably for me the 54 would better suit my slim wrists but the difference isn't enough to make it worth selling the 58 and buying the 54.

Longer term I think the 58 will prove more popular as the 54 is small for this style of watch and would probably be only of interest to slim people.

My advice is unless you are screamingly wealthy, don't buy the same watch in a different colour. I've done the same and regretted it. For this reason alone I'd go with the bb54 but I'm inclined to believe it'd be too small for me.

Master

Tudor Black Bay 54 opinions.

Just a thought. If you are considering dropping 3-3.5k on a black 58 why not look around for a Tudor Smiley ETA 79220N . The ETA case wears a tiny bit thicker at just under 13mm compared to just under 12mm for the 58 and is 41mm compared to 39mm on the BB58 but they wear very nicely especially if you are used to wearing up to a 47mm watch. They are pretty much depreciation proof these days should you want to flip it.
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 3rd October 2023 at 16:53.

Here it is on my 7 inch, quite flat wrist.

It wears big for a 37mm imo but super comfortable.

The main attraction for me is the slimness, very vintage feeling whereas, for me the "58 is just playing at being vintage.

Last edited by petay993; 3rd October 2023 at 16:55.

Personally tried the BB54 on at an recently, & it felt too small. The crown size is smaller, and the lack of hash marks 12-15 on the bezel visually looked off.

Personally I find the BB58 a great size, & if Tudor only done the 54 I’d probably enjoy that. I do like the revised design of the crown (not the smaller size) & bezel grip mind you, but prefer the red triangle and gilt on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've had 2 x BB58 blue and not kept one
    Had my BB54 a couple of months now and it's not going anywhere I hope and the T-fit is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Just a thought. If you are considering dropping 3-3.5k on a black 58 why not look around for a Tudor Smiley ETA 79220N . The ETA case wears a tiny bit thicker at just under 13mm compared to just under 12mm for the 58 and is 41mm compared to 39mm on the BB58 but they wear very nicely especially if you are used to wearing up to a 47mm watch. They are pretty much depreciation proof these days should you want to flip it.

I’ve had a Black Bay 41, the Harrods and a Black Bay GMT. Found them too big and not quite balanced for me. Felt the cases were too thick.

Thanks for the comments though.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I've had 2 x BB58 blue and not kept one
    Had my BB54 a couple of months now and it's not going anywhere I hope and the T-fit is great.
    I too am on my second Black Bay 58 and think a BB54 would compliment it well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Here it is on my 7 inch, quite flat wrist.

It wears big for a 37mm imo but super comfortable.

The main attraction for me is the slimness, very vintage feeling whereas, for me the "58 is just playing at being vintage.

I love the idea of the vintage aesthetic with the modern build quality.

Thanks for the pic

I think the only people who can give a longer term view on the 54 are owners and as such you’re going to get a skewed view.

Based on trying it in a shop, the 54 felt too small (for me) and I’m usually happy wearing 36mm watches.

As for the statement a couple of posts above, I would say both models are playing at vintage. The 54 is going a bit further than the 58. IMO too far, 37mm dive watches are a blast from the past, like 32mm dress watches. It’s all fine, no judgement, wear what you like, etc but to me, I’d rather stick with something more contemporarily minded.

YMMV.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I’ve had a Black Bay 41, the Harrods and a Black Bay GMT. Found them too big and not quite balanced for me. Felt the cases were too thick.

Thanks for the comments though.
    Indeed they are too thick. That’s why I suggested the ETA smiley versions which are lots slimmer. The GMT , Harrods Blackbays were a slab on the wrist hence why I sold them. Good luck with your search :)

Interested in trying the 54 too. Did have the two 58 variants simultaneously in the collection previously but never fully bonded with the black dial. Gilt tones on the bezel felt a bit too much and I could take or leave the red triangle. Ended up letting it go and kept the blue…….

Think the 54 would perhaps take a little bit of getting used to but really need to see it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Interested in trying the 54 too. Did have the two 58 variants simultaneously in the collection previously but never fully bonded with the black dial. Gilt tones on the bezel felt a bit too much and I could take or leave the red triangle. Ended up letting it go and kept the blue…….

Think the 54 would perhaps take a little bit of getting used to but really need to see it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow. That's quite the comparison pic. Thanks. Definitely prefer my BB58 Blue when side by side. May but a blue strap to alternate on the bracelet too. Got a visit to Trafford Centre scheduled to try on a BB54 at the weekend.

Hadn't realised the original ETA 41mm Black Bay's were thinner than the in house movement ones. Thanks for the info.

Heres a comparison pic of the Black Bay 41 above the BB58 it would be nice to get a 54 in the mix for a triple comparison.