closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Possible Identity Theft

Craftsman

Possible Identity Theft

So today I had a letter from Santander about a credit card application made in my name. I contacted them to confirm it was fraudulent and have sent the form back to them to send to CIFAS. I also checked my credit score on Credit Karma and the flag was showing there
    I understand this shouldn't affect my credit score as such but automated applications may not go through e g. any new phone contract.
    Has anyone been through this and have any advice please

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Yes, was a massive pain in the ass

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Identity+theft

Master
    I have bitter experience with this. The two main issues you will face are firstly getting anyone in the banks to actually believe you, and secondly getting your credit record wiped clean. NIGHTMARE!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Hopefully their procedures have improved since you suffered this. So far only the one application I'm aware of which they blocked but did suggest I'm likely to see more in the short term

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    I have bitter experience with this. The two main issues you will face are firstly getting anyone in the banks to actually believe you, and secondly getting your credit record wiped clean. NIGHTMARE!
    I was guessing it's not going to be easy. I will probably be changing my phone contract in the coming months so should find out then

Because I have no idea of how this is done, how do the fraudsters get hold of the information to make the application in the first place?

I suppose what I am really asking, is how do you protect yourself from this kind of thing happening? I am the same with selling things, I never recognise a 'scam' sale that other people flag up. Any help or advice gratefully received.

The best thing to do is speak to the 3 credit agencies and request a password is put on your credit files. It's annoying as in theory every credit application will be automatically rejected until you provide a password but avoids unscrupulous people applying for credit fraudulently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    Because I have no idea of how this is done, how do the fraudsters get hold of the information to make the application in the first place?

I suppose what I am really asking, is how do you protect yourself from this kind of thing happening? I am the same with selling things, I never recognise a 'scam' sale that other people flag up. Any help or advice gratefully received.
    I do try and keep private - not a big user of FB and don't make personal info available, give a false date of birth if it's needed to register for forums, burn old bank statements and remove any info from junk mail before they go in the recycling etc

However name and address are available from the electoral roll or potentially a leak / hack from an online retailer even reputable ones or even a data loss from e.g. your dentist as happened earlier this year to me

I only ever use a credit card online just in case it gets compromised

I guess I'll never know how but hopefully won't turn out to be too much of a problem for me

Craftsman
    The best thing to do is speak to the 3 credit agencies and request a password is put on your credit files. It's annoying as in theory every credit application will be automatically rejected until you provide a password but avoids unscrupulous people applying for credit fraudulently.
    Thanks - good suggestion. Stupid question presumably I have to supply a password to the lender ? Or do I need to find out which credit agency they use then contact them before going back to the lender ?

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Thanks - good suggestion. Stupid question presumably I have to supply a password to the lender ? Or do I need to find out which credit agency they use then contact them before going back to the lender ?

Speak to Equifax, Experian etc and then you can ask them to add a password to your file

Speak to Equifax, Experian etc and then you can ask them to add a password to your file
    Thanks for that advice, I have just done that on a couple of accounts I have, as well as adding 2FA. It always pays to be as safe as possible.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

You can also lock and unlock your Experian Credit File online if you sign up to their identity protection service.