closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ever wondered what happens after an earthquake ?

Blog Entries

Ever wondered what happens after an earthquake ?

Camerino is a small town located in central-eastern Italy, in the Marche region. It has a population of 7,000 and is situated between the rivers Chienti and Potenza, at an altitude of 650m. The municipality dominates the surrounding hilly landscape, which highlights are the Sibillini Mountains, San Vincino Mountain, and adjoining nature reserves.

The Old Town of Camerino suffered severe damage due to a major earthquake in central Italy in 2016. Many buildings were destroyed or seriously damaged, and all residents and businesses were relocated. The area remains abandoned even now while the reconstruction process continues.

I had the chance to visit recently for a work trip & the earthquake engineering academic team from UniCam gave us a tour of the town center.

...& the answer to the thread title is... Where possible, they clear up & brace the buildings ready for the repair & restoration work.

Apologies for the iPhone photos - but it at least shows the amount of damage & the extensive external cabling & bracing :

Newer buildings did not necessarily fare any better...

The bravery of the people working soon after the earthquake to secure these buildings blows my mind.

We are now 7 years on from the earthquake & the expectation is it will take at least another 20 years to finish the repair work!

Lots more information in this link.

z

Interesting, thank you. Your photos bring it alive. I wonder if they'll finish before the next disaster. I wonder too how many of those relocated will want to move back.

Blog Entries
    I do hope so, & that the repair techniques developed by the academics are resilient enough to withstand the next event.

Many young people left the town - the remainder of the displaced people are living in single storey prefab housing on the outskirts of town.

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I do hope so, & that the repair techniques developed by the academics are resilient enough to withstand the next event.

Many young people left the town - the remainder of the displaced people are living in single storey prefab housing on the outskirts of town.

z
    Incredible pictures, I had no idea this was going on.

Thanks for the insight, really interesting and a little sad to see what looked like a lovely bustling town reduced to a ghost one.

Very interesting. I'd have expected a complete knock down and rebuild would have happened. Really, and pleasantly, surprised that they've undertaken a restoration of what is still standing. Thanks for sharing.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    I was staying with my parents about 10k from the epicentre back when that hit. We've only just had the apartment rebuilt and signed off. Very scary night that was. I remember the following few days every little aftershock had my heart rate going nuts.

Architecture wise, our town still shored up by a lot of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Very interesting. I'd have expected a complete knock down and rebuild would have happened. Really, and pleasantly, surprised that they've undertaken a restoration of what is still standing. Thanks for sharing.
    Sometimes it does, it depends on a lot of things inluding the nature and structure of thee buildings and the extent of the damage. Starngely enough the older buildings often withstand quakes better than new construction methods.

The General public tend to think it's all over once the rescues are finished and the tv crews have gone, but it takes years for communities to recover, if they ever do.

There are still people living in "temporary" camps built after the 2005 Pakistan earthquake that I responded to 18 years ago.