closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My club has died .

My club has died .

As a life long supporter (60 years ) of my home town football club Scunthorpe United it is with absolute horror and devastation that i look at the plight of the club . The present owner has removed all financial backing for the club , the ground owner has dug his heels in and will not sell ,debts at the club are of unbelievable magnitude. The result is that our beloved club has just two home games left at Glanford Park then we have to leave . Just how the hell has it come to this 124 years of history wiped out in a matter of months ,today no one has been payed either playing or back room staff . The potential temporary ground is by no means certain to be sanctioned yet .

Thank your lucky stars you are not a rugby fan!
    Wasps, Irish, Jersey, Worcester all gone due to incompetence / asset stripping.

Tragic mismanagement, and must be infuriating for you fans

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Thank your lucky stars you are not a rugby fan!
    Wasps, Irish, Jersey, Worcester all gone due to incompetence / asset stripping.
    Wow, I knew they were all on the edge but I didn't know it had happened. I had a friend's son who played for one of the above, but thankfully he managed to transfer in time.

Football clubs can and have bounced back from these situations, and usually - eventually - for the better. Chin up :)

My club Middlesbrough went through it all in 1986, saved by Steve Gibson and went from strength to strength, our fans can be fickle sometimes when they call for Gibson to sell the club, without him we'd be nothing and wouldn't even exist.

Hopefully your team can come through it the other side...

Unforgiveable mis-management and I'm so sorry to hear the plight of such a famous club. Anything the fan base can do like Wrexham fans did a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    As a life long supporter (60 years ) of my home town football club Scunthorpe United it is with absolute horror and devastation that i look at the plight of the club . The present owner has removed all financial backing for the club , the ground owner has dug his heels in and will not sell ,debts at the club are of unbelievable magnitude. The result is that our beloved club has just two home games left at Glanford Park then we have to leave . Just how the hell has it come to this 124 years of history wiped out in a matter of months ,today no one has been payed either playing or back room staff . The potential temporary ground is by no means certain to be sanctioned yet .

Grand Master
    Always sad when a club ends up in this situation, really feel for the supporters.

As a Leeds United and Wakefield Trinity fan it's been a bad year for me, both relegated from Premier League and Rugby League's Super league respectively, but both likely to bounce back in the short term.

Professional sport is arguably ruined by money.

Master
    Was watching the situation as my son has played with a couple of your new players (from Eastleigh). I’m definitely more of a non premiership football fan and whilst there are many good owners there are some terrible ones.
    Just keep fingers crossed as it’s sad to see this sort of thing happen. The Premiership has slot to answer for as there is too much money in the top tier which doesn’t filter down. You could run a lot of lower league clubs Ona weeks premiership wages.
    Last edited by craig1912; 30th September 2023 at 09:42.

Sad to hear

Too much professional football in England

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    That’s sad.

And Sheffield Wednesday going the same way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66958019

Horrible situation.

Hope your club bounces back.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    That’s sad.

And Sheffield Wednesday going the same way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66958019
    Didn’t the fans protest by throwing tennis balls on the pitch in a recent game?

As a local rival I've been following your plight for some time. Having gone through it ourselves and almost going out of existence I can only sympathise.

We, Doncaster Rovers, were lucky to have had a multi millionaire come to the rescue and, as you will probably know, have had some success since; though currently we are having a bad, (3 year bad!), period on the pitch.

I do hope that someone with significant funds can come to your rescue and that we can renew our rivalry higher up the leagues. Though I genuinely believe that it will take a Premier League club to fail, and fail badly, before those in authority will take things seriously and make the changes needed in club funding and ownership.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

As a life long Southend United fan I feel your pain. We are facing a final winding up order in court in the next few days. Sad times for the Iron & the Shrimpers, both owed by monsters!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    As a life long Southend United fan I feel your pain. We are facing a final winding up order in court in the next few days. Sad times for the Iron & the Shrimpers, both owed by monsters!
    Things looking up for SUFC.

Notts County at the top of League 2 when they were only recently out of the League completely.

I always hope AFC Wimbledon will get to the point where they're better than MK Dons.

Where there are fans there's always hope.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Notts County at the top of League 2 when they were only recently out of the League completely.

I always hope AFC Wimbledon will get to the point where they're better than MK Dons.

Where there are fans there's always hope.
    So do I.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Jega, I am very sorry to hear what is happening to your club, I read about it recently on FB Football Group, interestingly I hadn't heard anything about it previously.

As a Colchester Fan, I was just about to post about Southend as we are all very aware of what has been happening to our rivals down the road. But Wildheart posted before me. No proper football fan ever wants to see this happen to another team, no matter who they are.

I have always thought that fan owned Exeter is the way forward, or at least part ownership to prevent the mismanagement as its clearly happening more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Things looking up for SUFC.
    Fingers crossed, as long as Ron Martin is gone for good.... let hope they settle the tax bill tomorrow??

Craftsman
    Fingers crossed, as long as Ron Martin is gone for good.... let hope they settle the tax bill tomorrow??
    Looks like your dreams have come through, Southend has been sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    So do I.
    Second in the table behind Notts (my team) is a great start for Wimbledon.

Master
    Palace were saved by a consortium of wealthy fans- going pretty well, now.

The rugby prem is in a parlous state, really. I wonder if we will lose any more teams this year? I'm a Quins fan, hoping they won't go (seems unlikely). Also need to gloat after our win v Sarries on the weekend!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Didn’t the fans protest by throwing tennis balls on the pitch in a recent game?
    Hadn't heard that. Ex-colleague is a STH and was bemoaning the rapid descent to reality after the fairy tale promotion last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    So do I.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Second in the table behind Notts (my team) is a great start for Wimbledon.

I wanted to post an image of the current League 2 table to show that but, unfortunately, Cr@patalk isn’t playing ball.

Suffice it to say that ‘we’ have been working on that for 21 years (so far) and aren’t going to give up any time soon. COYD.