closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OEM Phoenix NATOs

Master
    Blog Entries

OEM Phoenix NATOs

Posted here as more suited to Mil watch collectors than the strap section.

There are other straps for sale on his Ebay but read carefully before buying.

These are genuine original WD specification (or so it seems).

The price is high.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125928697...IAAOSwg11h-nB8

Here we have for sale a NOS (new old stock) genuine Phoenix Straps admiralty grey N.A.T.O watchstrap in 20mm
    We have been making these straps since 1978 to MOD specifications, here in UK.

Backdrop is original MOD specification 1971 which has been amended over the years!!!

Please note we have supplied both 18mm and 20mm grey version to the MOD. this is the 20mm version.

We have found a bag of these straps which have unmarked buckles ( so precedes 2000 when we went over to

laser etched buckle frames ).

The straps feature true heat sealed holes which have a slight raised rough texture around the holes but as they were meant for military issue this feature was acceptable.

Master
    These have been on e bay for a long time now. There are definitely some slight differences between the older style Phoenix straps and the newer ones.

In my experience, the non etched buckle versions are shorter and can suit smaller wrists.

£100 isn’t actually that expensive for what is a proven “not modern” Phoenix strap.

For example, there is a well known strap collector who is currently selling NOS 90s Phoenix straps for multiples of the asking price of the straps you posted.

Some people are really into their straps and some are t.

I dread to think of the straps I have thrown away over the years, I could have sold them… I would be closer to the original CWC diver from 1980 I am holding out for.

Paying over the odds for an old NATO is not for me as any Phoenix strap soon looks like it is years old with the slightest bit of wear. But there is nowt queer as folk and we collect all sorts. I am not sure of the attraction if they have just sat in a box though (same could be said for issued watches)

It seems as if CWC are now suppling their straps with any new issued watches and if I am honest they are much better quality it I still buy Phoenix in stashes so always have some spare (down to the last one or two unworn ones though)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I dread to think of the straps I have thrown away over the years, I could have sold them… I would be closer to the original CWC diver from 1980 I am holding out for.

Paying over the odds for an old NATO is not for me as any Phoenix strap soon looks like it is years old with the slightest bit of wear. But there is nowt queer as folk and we collect all sorts. I am not sure of the attraction if they have just sat in a box though (same could be said for issued watches)

It seems as if CWC are now suppling their straps with any new issued watches and if I am honest they are much better quality it I still buy Phoenix in stashes so always have some spare (down to the last one or two unworn ones though)
    "any Phoenix strap soon looks like it is years old"

That is very true,I think the appeal is that it is genuine and of its time.

We know they arent the best straps available but they do go historically with the old watches.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    These have been on e bay for a long time now. There are definitely some slight differences between the older style Phoenix straps and the newer ones.

In my experience, the non etched buckle versions are shorter and can suit smaller wrists.

£100 isn’t actually that expensive for what is a proven “not modern” Phoenix strap.

For example, there is a well known strap collector who is currently selling NOS 90s Phoenix straps for multiples of the asking price of the straps you posted.

Some people are really into their straps and some are t.
    Who is this strap collector?

Craftsman
    The new CWC straps are far sturdier than the Phoenix straps. Almost too sturdy! I find the Phoenix straps much comfier on the wrist but don’t last anywhere near as long as the CWC.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    The new CWC straps are far sturdier than the Phoenix straps. Almost too sturdy! I find the Phoenix straps much comfier on the wrist but don’t last anywhere near as long as the CWC.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Judicious application of sandpaper, inside, outside and the edges, takes the shine off and delivers a comfortable, better looking strap.

There are 'better ' NATOs (CWC and Timefactors) but there is something about OEM Pheonix straps that I much prefer. Could be the webbing, the thinness, the tighter weave, the hardware, the fact that they're proper Admiralty Grey, or that they look a bit tatty fairly quickly, or that they're British made, or all of the above. Like many copied items, no one can quite do it as well as the original OEM. Wouldn’t pay the eye-watering price above though I can well understand why someone might. ISTR these earlier NATOS had thinner hardware that actually laid flat against the strap rather than the modern ones that are wider and sturdier but never lay flat...
    Last edited by Geralt; 7th October 2023 at 08:40.