closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy in price for Sub 14060M?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    +1
    I recently passed on a new bi-rose GMT at my AD for that very reason. Picking my Pepsi up from RSC warranty repair next week (temporary 32xx fix - i.e not a fix, as Rolex can't fix them).
    Rolex can't fix a Rolex???

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Rolex can't fix a Rolex???
    Yup, based on information from RSC watch repairers - current repairs simply delay the issue (so presuming I'll be paying for the next repair myself in a few years). See lengthy thread on TRF for details (also a shorter one on here).

I have 10+ Rolex in my collection, 3 with the 32xx, fortunately only one of which has this movement amplitude issue (so far).

Master
    Yup, based on information from RSC watch repairers - current repairs simply delay the issue (so presuming I'll be paying for the next repair myself in a few years). See lengthy thread on TRF for details (also a shorter one on here).

I have 10+ Rolex in my collection, 3 with the 32xx, fortunately only one of which has this movement amplitude issue (so far).
    Is there a quick way to check if you have an affected mechanism ?

Knew nothing about that, so are these the newer ceramic models which are having issues or the older 5 digits?

Master
    What are the stats - what percentage of watches with 32xx movements are actually affected or likely to be?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Knew nothing about that, so are these the newer ceramic models which are having issues or the older 5 digits?
    6 digits.

Master
    Bit OT but I have been looking for a significant watch, and quite fancied a Rolex sub, white gold with blue bezel. Saw one a year old at 5k behind retail, about of curiosity pinged WF to get an idea of trade buy in price.
    Any guesses?? Oh retail is £35k ish

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Is there a quick way to check if you have an affected mechanism ?
    Lots of info on this thread. The main tell is the amplitude in positions 3/6/9 (Up) - this struggles to exceed 230 at time 0 and struggles to exceed 200 at time 24 (24hrs after full wind). The min 200 at 24hr is a Rolex test requirement for 32xx movements. For mine, Rate also suffered badly (my average Rate didn't meet the Rolex -1/+3 test requirement).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...4#post12977684

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    What are the stats - what percentage of watches with 32xx movements are actually affected or likely to be?
    The above thread shows a failure rate of c25% for those who members who contributed. I reckon this will be on the low side, as many will be as yet unaware (either as not keeping track or because the amplitude issues have yet to surface).

I've pasted my figures below, in case helpful to see the variances (with my BLRO the problem child of the 3).

[img]undefined[

Journeyman
    My now sold SD43 was fine for about a year and then became gradually more erratic. It went back to Rolex for a fix but I lost faith in it after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Bit OT but I have been looking for a significant watch, and quite fancied a Rolex sub, white gold with blue bezel. Saw one a year old at 5k behind retail, about of curiosity pinged WF to get an idea of trade buy in price.
    Any guesses?? Oh retail is £35k ish

£23k.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    £23k.
    I’d imagine it’s less than that , maybe 19-20k

Quote Originally Posted by JIG67 View Post
    My now sold SD43 was fine for about a year and then became gradually more erratic. It went back to Rolex for a fix but I lost faith in it after that.
    How would someone who isn't a nerd, and checks amplitude, know? I have never checked if any of my watches keep decent time as I never wear any of them long enough for it to matter :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    How would someone who isn't a nerd, and checks amplitude, know? I have never checked if any of my watches keep decent time as I never wear any of them long enough for it to matter :)
    What actually is amplitude ... ???

Edit: I have googled it ...

Amplitude is the measure of the amount of rotation in the swing of the balance wheel, in either direction, usually expressed in degrees. In a running watch, the balance wheel swings or rotates clockwise and counterclockwise. Each swing in either direction is called a “beat”.

Amplitude is the number of degrees of rotation of the beat. Amplitude is higher, typically in the range of about 270 to 315 degrees, when a watch is lying flat or in the “dial up” or “dial down” position. Amplitude usually falls when the watch is in a vertical position, primarily due to increased friction.
    Last edited by Montello; 11th October 2023 at 17:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    I’d imagine it’s less than that , maybe 19-20k
    The two guesses straddled the quote, 21 to 21.5 was their bid. Obviously the PM bubble has well and truly burst.

The two guesses straddled the quote, 21 to 21.5 was their bid. Obviously the PM bubble has well and truly burst.

Even paired with a white dial stainless steel Daytona that isn’t break even. Ouch.

Blog Entries

If it’s a watch you want it’s a good time to buy , but might even get better in future
    I personally took advantage and got an unworn example last week , Watchfinder buy in doesn’t bother me as it’s a watch I intend to keep ( said that before ! )

Master
    Lots of info on this thread. The main tell is the amplitude in positions 3/6/9 (Up) - this struggles to exceed 230 at time 0 and struggles to exceed 200 at time 24 (24hrs after full wind). The min 200 at 24hr is a Rolex test requirement for 32xx movements. For mine, Rate also suffered badly (my average Rate didn't meet the Rolex -1/+3 test requirement).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...4#post12977684

The above thread shows a failure rate of c25% for those who members who contributed. I reckon this will be on the low side, as many will be as yet unaware (either as not keeping track or because the amplitude issues have yet to surface).

I've pasted my figures below, in case helpful to see the variances (with my BLRO the problem child of the 3).

[img]undefined[
    Many thanks, very helpful. Seems I have a project over the weekend to start testing.

Journeyman
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. The timekeeping went to hell - I didn’t check the amplitude but googling the issue led me to a lot of people having the same problem with the movement.

Owners will tend to spot the crap timekeeping, once this drops off a cliff. Like you, I have so many watches and don't closely track timekeeping, I never noticed my BLRO issue until I saw that TRF thread and then borrowed a timegrapher. But, I read up on it after that (just as well as my 5 years were almost up) - worth doing while your 32xx watches are still under warranty. After the 5 years, you might be happy living with it once it reappears (you'll take a hit on resale though).

Owners will tend to spot the crap timekeeping, once this drops off a cliff. Like you, I have so many watches and don't closely track timekeeping, I never noticed my BLRO issue until I saw that TRF thread and then borrowed a timegrapher. But, I read up on it after that (just as well as my 5 years were almost up) - worth doing while your 32xx watches are still under warranty. After the 5 years, you might be happy living with it once it reappears (you'll take a hit on resale though).
    I have two watches with a 32XX movement inside - one is a two year old Explorer and the other is a three year old Submariner. Both are running at less than plus one second per day.

I can only speak as I find.

I’ve had 3 quotes for my 1987 Sub full set from WF over the last 8 months. They range from almost £9k down to £5.7k! Solution is to send it to Duncan Potter for a service, and continue to enjoy it.
    Whoever it was in this thread saying modern versions are better than vintage, having had both, I still prefer Cara Delevigne to Elton John.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    Whoever it was in this thread saying modern versions are better than vintage, having had both, I still prefer Cara Delevigne to Elton John.
    So you agree, the younger model is better than the old boy?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I have two watches with a 32XX movement inside - one is a two year old Explorer and the other is a three year old Submariner. Both are running at less than plus one second per day.

I can only speak as I find.
    I thought your Submariner was a 116613LN? If that is the case, it doesn’t have a 32XX movement.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Or the beautiful slim version is more desirable than the fat, bloated one?

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I thought your Submariner was a 116613LN? If that is the case, it doesn’t have a 32XX movement.
    Actually, you’re correct. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Actually, you’re correct. My mistake.
    I have two with the movement, both bought new from ADs. The newest is only a few months old and like your Explorer it is currently no more than +1s fast over a few days of wear.

The other I bought in July 2018. I wore it for all or part of each day, for about the first 72 days, after which it was a cumulative +15s, with positional variation of less than +/-0.75s in any 24hours, if rested when off the wrist with dial up or crown up. Yes I did sadly record that at the time.

A couple of years later it started to drift to about +/-6s per day at worst. I ended up not wearing it for 6 months or so. Next time I picked it up it was within +/-2s per day and still is now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I have 5 Rolex. The oldest is a 1980 1655 Freccione Explorer11 and the youngest is a 2014 Explorer.

I tend to wear these two watches because they are fairly inconspicuous and usually for 6 weeks at a time.

I time them at 10.00am every Saturday on time.is. The 2014 model gains 7 secs a week whilst the old boy Freccione, now 43 years of age, gains just 2 secs a week.

To me, the Freccione is just plain gorgeous and I sadly confess that I get a buzz every time I look at it. This is the old boy I now wear most of the time.