closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Question for the fitness crowd - Adjustable Dumbbells

Master

Question for the fitness crowd - Adjustable Dumbbells

I'm looking to reclaim some space and upgrade my home gym. I have some old spinlock dumbbells which are ok, but the spare plates take up space and I don't like the thin handles. I've found the Powerblock and Bowflex offering online. A couple of questions for anyone who has used adjustables.

How are they in every day use?
    Any exercises they aren't good for? I assume anything dynamic is out, but I have kettlebells as an alternative.
    Any cheaper alternatives out there?

We got some during the pandemic and they were excellent even for dynamic stuff, overhead swings, etc. as they are secure on the handles. Quite a clever design. The only limit was the weight actually, as mine only go to 25kg, so if you can press or pull more than you'll still need something heavier (but still better to buy a couple of heavier weights than a whole set). I was very sceptical at first, but overall I think they are excellent and if I was training at home I'd still use them.

I should've said, I was talking about Bowflex. I've only tried the Powerblock ones at a fitness show, but don't like the frame design. And a quick search reveals that you can get Bowflex up to 40kg, so that negates my earlier complaint (the choice was very limited in 2020!).
    Last edited by adigra; 27th September 2023 at 17:08.

I bought the Bowflex 2-24kgs set (£180 x 2 on Amazon, pretty much the low point in recent years), mainly for Physio exercises to recover from an arm tendon injury (from the Covid vaccine needle no-less), I'm still using them daily. The only downside for me is where the exercise should start with arms side-by-side and hands facing out, the width of the dumbbells can be restrictive. But, apart from that, no issues. I'm not a heavy user though. They also offer a 4-41kgs set (about another £100 per unit) if you're into big loads.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 27th September 2023 at 17:22. Reason: Typo

I use the Bowflex on dumbbells and barbell, I’ve never had any problems

They are ok, if space is an issue - but as stated they are quite restricted for certain exercises.
    Ive used a friends set quite a bit, but works always prefer set rubber cased dumbbells if given the option/space to have the set up 👍
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Thanks all, some good information. I think I like a set that goes up to 32 and if I ever need heavier added a few fixed bells. Has anyone tried braindrain. The prices look attractive but obviously a take on the Bowflex design and not a major brand.

I've got powerblocks. Had them for over 10 years and used several times a week during that period. Build quality is good, flexibility is good, ease of use is great. The only quibble is that they don't quite feel like a proper dumbbell because of size and shape and there's a tiny amount of movement of the weights in the frame. But they've been a real workhorse for me. Though I still prefer a more traditional dumbbell shape so if I was buying a set today I might take a look at the nuobell set.

Craftsman
    I used to have the 36kg Bodymax dumbbells for several years and was overall happy with them. They will never be as good as single weight dumbbells but for the space saving and convenience, I was happy. I do believe you need to have some level of mechanical sympathy for them and they shouldn’t be dropped, they wouldn’t last long in a commercial gym. One negative for me was the size when using the smaller weights, the length of the dumbbell remained the same. Ie no weight or full weight, the dumbbell was the max length.

I sold the Bodymax as I wasn’t using the full weight and changed my goals.

https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk...bbell-wtfd2140

Fast forward to today, I am thinking about buying another set of adjustables, and have been looking at the Nuobell ones. These seem to be the latest design, slightly lighter at max being 32kg and the dumbbell length grows with the weight. Expensive though.

https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...black-out.html

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I've had a set of the Bowflex 552's for past couple of years. They've done me fine. Decent solid bit of kit, although I've never dropped them and really quick and easy to change weight.

The only drawback is no matter what weight you dial in, they're always the same size which can mean they're a little too big and clunky for some exercises although I just got used to it.

I need some now that go a little heavier. I was originally looking at the heavier Bowflex but they seem even bigger. Just been looking at the Nuobell or Primal Strength ones that both not only have adjustable weight, but the size changes as well, dependent on the weight dialed in which will make them more user friendly in my opinion.

Malc

the only problem with the adjustable dumbells ive seen is that you will quickly outstrip the weight - depending on what type of training you are doing and your level of fitness , they are only usually any good for light high rep work.
    this is why i always say 'go to a local' gym rather than try and build your own with minimal equipment and people often get bored with the equipment they have at home after a short time doing the same things over and over.

*im assuming you are not dwayne johnson with a multi million dollar home gym :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    the only problem with the adjustable dumbells ive seen is that you will quickly outstrip the weight - depending on what type of training you are doing and your level of fitness , they are only usually any good for light high rep work.
    this is why i always say 'go to a local' gym rather than try and build your own with minimal equipment and people often get bored with the equipment they have at home after a short time doing the same things over and over.

*im assuming you are not dwayne johnson with a multi million dollar home gym :)
    I'm not The Rock, probably closer to The Pebble. :) My main issue is lack of time and working from multiple locations I have a gym membership near my office, but I can usually only go there once a week. It's part of my overall membership package so worth my time keeping it. It also means I've a place to do heavy lower body lifts. I have looked at local gyms, and that might be an option.

I've had some version of a home gym for years. It was in my garage, but I'm having a garden office built that will have space for a small workout area. It will be ready in about 4 weeks. I already have a bunch of kettlebells up to 32kg, a bench and a chin up station. I'd like some better dumbbells for variety. I think a set up to 32kgs would cover most of my upper body needs and let me do lighter lower body work. Being able to workout at home means I can at least squeeze in two 30 minutes session, even on the busiest week. Of maybe I just have the TZ disease and want to but something new for the sake of novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I'm not The Rock, probably closer to The Pebble. :) My main issue is lack of time and working from multiple locations I have a gym membership near my office, but I can usually only go there once a week. It's part of my overall membership package so worth my time keeping it. It also means I've a place to do heavy lower body lifts. I have looked at local gyms, and that might be an option.

I've had some version of a home gym for years. It was in my garage, but I'm having a garden office built that will have space for a small workout area. It will be ready in about 4 weeks. I already have a bunch of kettlebells up to 32kg, a bench and a chin up station. I'd like some better dumbbells for variety. I think a set up to 32kgs would cover most of my upper body needs and let me do lighter lower body work. Being able to workout at home means I can at least squeeze in two 30 minutes session, even on the busiest week. Of maybe I just have the TZ disease and want to but something new for the sake of novelty.
    Home gym is a great idea, I have one set up in a log cabin in the garden and use it frequently , I have the free weights and a cable machine https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk...tacks-sebr6245 and a small treadmill

Master
    I don't see the issue, obviously the answer is to just buy more kettlebells.