closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Airport baggage damage?

Airport baggage damage?

Just had a great time over in Budapest with friends. So we were going to just take carry on cases but when we got there the flight was full so we had to check in the bags, ah well that’s the last I see of that instead of going through a couple of lots of security as it was a two legged flight.

Anyway when I got to Budapest I found my brand new case like this.

Right ok well I wasn’t going to let it ruin the holiday so I’ll look into a claim when I get home.

So I got home last night after again having to check in the carry on.

Picked the case up last night and then found this as well.

Anyway I’m sure I’ll get some compo back but I’m at a loss at to how the damage has occurred, surely someone hasn’t tried to break into it or is it likely the manhandle aspect of chucking bags round like trash?

So on the back of that anyone recommend a travel case that can stand up to modern travel, nothing too pricey tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Anything to do with air travel seems to be hectic! As long as airlines pay peanuts to "minions", yet expect fast turnarounds, do not expect anything other than damaged luggage, dirty planes, lots of queues and sheeplike herding at high speed, from one pen to another, whilst another uniformed "minion" checks the relevant paperwork or security requirement. I love flying but hate airports! As far as the case problem goes, you pay your money and take your choice. Falling off the top of an overloaded transit vehicle (saw it happen just recently- no webbing in sight) will no doubt damage even the sturdiest of cases.

Airport baggage damage?

Did you notify your carrier at the airport. They are responsible.

When US TSA security damaged my bag and found all my clothes in a container on a carousel, Virgin Atlantic in LHR wheeled out about 5 roller bags from and office in the terminal for me to choose one of them as a replacement.

Otherwise I would have made a claim against. Best to record it with the airline at the time of damage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What make is that suitcase? No excuse, but it doesn't look like the grade of plastic used was particularly suitable.

Sorry to hear that, OP. My motto: Buy cheap, buy twice. I'd be claiming against the manufacturer, based off those photos. Several threads on luggage over the years (although admittedly not so many recently):
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?375144
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?445157
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?460492

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Sorry to hear that, OP. My motto: Buy cheap, buy twice. I'd be claiming against the manufacturer, based off those photos. Several threads on luggage over the years (although admittedly not so many recently):
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?375144
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?445157
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?460492
    Cheers I’ll have a look at that. I have expensive Victornix cases that have lasted the length of time and make for great travelling cases but I’d only bought this a few months ago to use as cabin luggage so didn’t give it any thought on the possibility of it going into the hold.

I completed a form and I’ll claim against the airline and see what happens, in the meantime I’d better look at stronger options, this was a brand called cabin max.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Just had a great time over in Budapest with friends. So we were going to just take carry on cases but when we got there the flight was full so we had to check in the bags, ah well that’s the last I see of that instead of going through a couple of lots of security as it was a two legged flight.

Anyway when I got to Budapest I found my brand new case like this.

Right ok well I wasn’t going to let it ruin the holiday so I’ll look into a claim when I get home.

So I got home last night after again having to check in the carry on.

Picked the case up last night and then found this as well.

Anyway I’m sure I’ll get some compo back but I’m at a loss at to how the damage has occurred, surely someone hasn’t tried to break into it or is it likely the manhandle aspect of chucking bags round like trash?

So on the back of that anyone recommend a travel case that can stand up to modern travel, nothing too pricey tbh.

Bloody nightmare, always my worst fear when flying. There are some great samsonite ones where you can literally jump on the empty case & it springs back - think the hold size one was about £600 when we were looking last year.

We moved away from a solid case to soft bags & pack with some packing cubes. Eastpak Transverz is what we decided on, and actually prefer them to proper suitcases - especially for storing at the hotel or home as they go flat.

Good luck with getting a resolution here. Having done carry-on only for a recent trip to Berlin, there were threats of items going into the hold. Would not have been happy, especially as some people seem to have a carry-on bag and then a rucksack, no wonder space is short sometimes.

We were away in April. Bought two new, medium-size, 4-wheel roller cases for the trip.

On the journey back got to the off-site carpark & noticed a wheel hanging off one case as I was lifting it into the car. It had obviously been caught in something mechanical & dragged going by the marks on the hard polyurethane of the affected wheel.

Got home & within 90 minutes of the flight landing contacted the holiday company. Referred to T&Cs which state that all damage must be reported to company rep in baggage reclaim for claim to be initiated. As we had left the reclaim area, no claim would be possible. Suggested we contact travel insurance provider to make a claim. Looked up travel insurance: yep, can claim but there's a £100 excess. Case didn't cost £100.

Next day, contacted case manufacturer. No, the defect isn't a manufacturing defect, it's third-party damage, therefore they can't do anything. Can the case be repaired? No, no repair service offered on that range. Is there a third-party repairer you could recommend? No. I asked what I should do next? Immediately, and offered as a gesture of no-fault goodwill, the manufacturer will replace the case for £40, about half the original cost. Accepted that & new case delivered next day.

I hope the OP gets a better result than I did.
    ______

​Jim.

One big advantage of Briggs & Riley as a brand, apart from the quality, is that their lifetime guarantee includes damage from baggage handlers. Having been through many Tumi/Rimowa/Antler/Samsonite/etc cases, I've now settled on B&R as my preferred luggage. Not the cheapest, but possibly the best value over a long period.

The airline would expect you to record the damage with them immediately and after you receive it from the carousel. That way they know the damage has been caused sometime between check-in and collection of the bag.

Retrospective claim some hours/later seems like one big airline get out clause to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    The airline would expect you to record the damage with them immediately and after you receive it from the carousel. That way they know the damage has been caused sometime between check-in and collection of the bag.

Retrospective claim some hours/later seems like one big airline get out clause to me.
    This- unless you reported in the reclaim hall then you won’t be able to claim. My son had similiar and didn’t report as was two in th morning. Ended up claiming on the travel insurance

I have had two cases damaged. One hard shell Samsonite and one soft shell Berghaus. I unknowingly made the misteke of leaving the airport before reporting the Samsonite. I made sure I reported the Berghaus straight away.

A replacement for the Berghaus was delivered within a week. Samsonite were not interested in my claim with them. I don’t remember the reason they cited.

We have recently upgraded to Aluminium cases as both of our plastic ones were starting g to crack around the wheels etc.

I think the baggage handlers in Schiphol & Ibiza took the challenge of two virgin metal cases to heart.

When the came out at Schiphol on our return the guy waiting next to us said ‘they look like they’ve been ‘in the wars, how long have you had them?’ And was shocked to be told ‘2weeks & 2 short haul flights’

But still wheel perfectly and seal tightly, another flight next month, let’s see what the Venetians can do!

I have to be on a trip for more than 2 weeks (which is never) before anything goes in the hold of the plane.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have to be on a trip for more than 2 weeks (which is never) before anything goes in the hold of the plane.
    Some airline tickets small print stipulates that you might have to put it in the hold. They won't give you a choice.

A few years ago a new pushchair was damaged. Being jet lagged and tired, we as a family just wanted to get home.

A claim was made and a few emails back and forth and before I knew it, several months had gone by. I nearly gave up but then remembered a website which lists the names and emails of CEOs.

I sent an email and within one week, a brand new pushchair was delivered.

On another occasion, I did have a suitcase damaged and left the airport and claimed a few days after.

It was paid out after a bit of back and forth.

Well tbh I wasn’t aware of the claiming damage process at Budapest but when I got back to my home airport it was damaged even more so I called a guy and he put the claim into the computer and I’ve put the reference number on KLM’s claim page with photos.

It was only £60 but it’s the principle with me so I’ll claim and buy a better built carry on, possible a samsonite as Victornix don’t seem to have anything on their page.

Craftsman
    I'm a big fan of Travelpro for carry-on sized luggage: https://www.travelpro.co.uk/collections/flightcrew-5

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Some airline tickets small print stipulates that you might have to put it in the hold. They won't give you a choice.
    Like who? All carriers allow you to carry on a cabin bag of a certain size and small personal bag. The LCCs charge for this, but still allow it.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve just bought new suitcases I’ve got an old Samsonite hard case that’s 20 years old that you can sit on the modern ones seem to be very light but incredibly flimsy even expensive ones

Master
    Like who? All carriers allow you to carry on a cabin bag of a certain size and small personal bag. The LCCs charge for this, but still allow it.

BA for a start.

Airport baggage damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    BA for a start.

Fair enough, the statement is true, but rarely enforced.

This will happen as you board the plane if the overhead bins are completely full. Very rare in my experience given modern planes are designed with large overhead bins to cater for more people taking carry on.

I have travelled a good chunk with BA and other legacy carriers and never had my carry on taken from me and locally checked into the hold at the door of the plane.

I have been offered at checkin free checking of my bag into the hold given a particularly full flight, and refused and never had a problem.

Never happens on LCCs as their bins are always half empty given their charges for carry on.

Master

Not true.

As an example EasyJet’s standard is one small cabin bag. Extra as you say for larger cabin bag, but, if plane is full and no space you can be forced to put the larger bag in the hold (on all carriers). That’s with BA and EasyJet
    Seen it happen most flights particularly to holiday destinations

Airport baggage damage?

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Not true.

As an example EasyJet’s standard is one small cabin bag. Extra as you say for larger cabin bag, but, if plane is full and no space you can be forced to put the larger bag in the hold (on all carriers). That’s with BA and EasyJet
    Seen it happen most flights particularly to holiday destinations
    Ok, I appreciate it happens. But, never happened to me across numerous flights, including holiday destinations.

I would say there is no real need to plan for an indestructible carry on when 1 in 20 flights you are forced to check your luggage at the door of the plane.

Larger checked luggage is a different matter.

Exactly what happened with us, we got a text message from the airline 24 hours before check in to tell we were required to check in our carry on luggage due to the flight being full. It’s never happened before but all of us and many others were checking in carry on cases.

Ours was a KLM flight.

Master
    Exactly what happened with us, we got a text message from the airline 24 hours before check in to tell we were required to check in our carry on luggage due to the flight being full. It’s never happened before but all of us and many others were checking in carry on cases.

Ours was a KLM flight.

I’d say it’s getting more common. I’ve flown around ten times this year and it’s happened on probably a third of flights- mainly at the UK end. I maybe wrong but I think the newer 737s have much bigger overheads than the Airbuses, particularly the older 319s and 320s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    One big advantage of Briggs & Riley as a brand, apart from the quality, is that their lifetime guarantee includes damage from baggage handlers. Having been through many Tumi/Rimowa/Antler/Samsonite/etc cases, I've now settled on B&R as my preferred luggage. Not the cheapest, but possibly the best value over a long period.
    B&R is my luggage of choice too. Never had to claim on the warranty and the build quality gives that re-assuring feeling your luggage will turn up in one piece on every trip

Ours was a KLM flight.

I had one of those messages. I just ignored it and took my bag on the flight. Checked in on line so no need to speak to an agent at the airport.

Loads of room in the bins as everybody else had checked their carry on.

Nobody questioned me.

Master
    I had one of those messages. I just ignored it and took my bag on the flight. Checked in on line so no need to speak to an agent at the airport.

Loads of room in the bins as everybody else had checked their carry on.

Nobody questioned me.
    The airlines rely on some people doing it but, if not enough do then the bags are taken off you at the boarding gate not check in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    The airlines rely on some people doing it but, if not enough do then the bags are taken off you at the boarding gate not check in.
    I smiled at the emails from BA the day prior to my flight with the good news that I could check my carry-on luggage into the hold at no extra cost! Trying to make it sound a perk, clowns.

Imagine a poor innocent Rimowa aluminium case getting put in the hold. The ground crew would destroy it!

Master

This will happen as you board the plane if the overhead bins are completely full. Very rare in my experience given modern planes are designed with large overhead bins to cater for more people taking carry on.

I have travelled a good chunk with BA and other legacy carriers and never had my carry on taken from me and locally checked into the hold at the door of the plane.

I have been offered at checkin free checking of my bag into the hold given a particularly full flight, and refused and never had a problem.

Never happens on LCCs as their bins are always half empty given their charges for carry on.
    This Summer we flew with BA and there were loads of people who had to check in cases at the gate. The system is crazy, double carry on for business class and every standard ticket gets a carry on. There was never going to be enough room

Master

On our recent BA flight to Madeira all the carry on bags (not hand luggage) got put in the hold at the boarding gate due to the flight being full. Though strangely the flight back seemed just as full and it never happened. Though they did it for free. It was an A320 both ways.

Master

Happens regularly on internal flights in the US regardless of carrier.

Last November we were on our way back from California flying Santa Ana to Dallas with AA then onward to Heathrow with BA. Tickets booked via BA. We had only carry on luggage after the previous trip where our hold luggage was delayed for eight days on the outbound leg.

Full flight from SNA so bags taken off of us at the Gate with no room in the overhead lockers. Missed the connection having been held up by the TSA and arrived with us four days late. My Samsonite (which has TSA approved locks, so they can open them without damage) had been cut open presumably with a dremel. They cut through the zip tags - locks are no use now. Insurance company refused to pay out as case can still be used and delay was on homeward journey so we were not inconvenienced ffs!

Did another trip this summer but came home in business. At SNA airport pre boarding they announced passengers in Groups 4 & 5 will have to check their hand luggage at the gate. Fortunately we were in Group 1 this time.

My Father designs airport baggage systems for a living and has done for 30+ years (apparently he is quite the subject matter expert), his view is the best bag to use is a soft one, (we use Northface duffle bags with extra securing straps as do my parents) the conveyor system and the diverters used are not gentle and even the most expensive, most robust luggage was destroyed in between 5/8 trips around the system durning testing for the recent T2 refit.
    Add in baggage handlers that don’t care, means buying expensive luggage is a waste time and money.
    The systems are designed for reliability, accuracy and speed, not to treat the bags kindly.

As an example: The OPs bag has likely been taken off them at the gate, thrown (yes thrown) in the hold last thing before the door was closed and on arrival would have been taken out, thrown / fallen on the ground (last minute bags often fall from the hold when the door is opened), whilst they got the other cans / bags out, thrown on the trolly behind the tug, likely fallen off the tug, kicked along the ground by a baggage handler before being thrown on the carousel for collection - no care is given to any bags

If asked try to avoid handing your hand luggage over at the gate. I always say I have medicine in the bag that I need, this has the ground staff looking at someone else in short order. (You can also say you have expensive items in the bag, as they don’t want the insurance headache)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    My Father designs airport baggage systems for a living and has done for 30+ years (apparently he is quite the subject matter expert), his view is the best bag to use is a soft one, (we use Northface duffle bags with extra securing straps as do my parents) the conveyor system and the diverters used are not gentle and even the most expensive, most robust luggage was destroyed in between 5/8 trips around the system durning testing for the recent T2 refit.
    Add in baggage handlers that don’t care, means buying expensive luggage is a waste time and money.
    The systems are designed for reliability, accuracy and speed, not to treat the bags kindly.

As an example: The OPs bag has likely been taken off them at the gate, thrown (yes thrown) in the hold last thing before the door was closed and on arrival would have been taken out, thrown / fallen on the ground (last minute bags often fall from the hold when the door is opened), whilst they got the other cans / bags out, thrown on the trolly behind the tug, likely fallen off the tug, kicked along the ground by a baggage handler before being thrown on the carousel for collection - no care is given to any bags

If asked try to avoid handing your hand luggage over at the gate. I always say I have medicine in the bag that I need, this has the ground staff looking at someone else in short order. (You can also say you have expensive items in the bag, as they don’t want the insurance headache)
    Thats very interesting, maybe in the future I'll just ignore the request to check in carry on bags or use an excuse about something expensive or medicine inside.

Looks like I'll likely buy a soft shell bag in the future for next time. Cheers.