closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Motorway roadworks cameras

Craftsman

Motorway roadworks cameras

I was in the new roadworks coming down from Gloucester on the M5, which are near the M4/M5 interchange; speed being controlled by average speed cameras.

What I also noticed were slim white pylons, maybe 15-20ft tall with what appeared to be a small IR camera mounted to it. I could see two red glowing lights in the housing. I don't have any pictures of them unfortunately.

I don't know if they are part of the average speed network, traffic monitoring cameras or some new fangled things they are trialing.

Anybody have any idea what these are?

Master
    I always believed they were security lights and cameras for when the site isn’t working, they are on most A road and Motorway roadworks nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’ve seen similar cameras popping up, along with the boxes they sit on, along roadworks on the A1 northbound.

I think they’re traffic monitoring cameras to alert recovery if there’s a breakdown in one of the restricted lanes?

I say that because they’re in ‘free recovery’ zones, and signs say to stay with vehicle in the event of breakdown, there being no hard shoulder etc.

Master
    I'll presume if someone breaks down in those areas or if people are parked there removing something. The speed cameras won't cover that. The ir means the cameras can be monitoring 24/7

Craftsman
    Cheers for the replies, as long as it isn't yet another thing to keep an eye out for I can sleep easy!

I saw a video on YouTube earlier about hard braking cameras; it just doesn't seem to end where the authorities are after cash for something.

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    it just doesn't seem to end where the authorities are after cash for something.
    Agreed, 100%. They are a gang of complete twunts !!

Master
    Dont they use these cameras on the “ smart motorways” to determine if anyone is stranded in lane1 ?

It could be any number of things either for the temporary works or the permanent works such as Stop Vehicle Detection, Midas masts or CCTV.

We will start to see ever more roadside technology as the move to real time information being sent to vehicles starts and the ultimate removal of road signs etc…

Ross