closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dickstar1977 RIP

Master
    Thank you Baden for this heartfelt tribute it’s very touching - he sounds like a fine man in every way. Puts so much in perspective. RIP Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    Tom taught me the older guy so much about watch collecting and he was my go to man for watch straps, I pass his house nearly everyday so it was so handy I’d message him “Tom I have a vintage xyz with a lovely patina and I can’t match it up” Tom would say “let me gets the kids to bed and pop round”.

3 hours would often be the time to choose a strap, Tom would bring everything out he had a perfect eye for combinations. I am red green colour blind so he had the edge.

Now Tom never ever charged me for anything he even got a few watches serviced for me el gratis but this came at another cost as he was sunglasses mad he had a big thing for persol and vintage military and that was always my method of payment.
    Like myself he also had a thing for fountain pens, vintage BALLY goods, fine fragrances and getting finely drunk on Red wine and his favourite Spiced Rum and ginger beer.

But his greatest passion was his family, his job was so stressful but I never ever saw him bring this home, he always had a smile, witt, and a cheeky twinkle in his eye I feel so honoured to see his children grow up.

Tom was so young to be to be taken away from us at 46 as a community we have lost one of the most knowledgeable members on vintage omega his passion for the Omega F2.4 Mhz watches was incredible he even sold me 2 then brought them back lol.

Tom was never to scared to ask for information about watches he would often ask me about military watches, like myself if he had a military watch it had to have the correct strap his attention to detail was second to none.

The other thing Tom had was his class and strangely amazing perfect wrist would sell me a bloody watch everything looked amazing on Toms wrist!
    Tom would casually leave a watch on a shelf and it would look bloody amazing, I’m sure he had watch placement feng shui going on.

My wife and myself where so privileged to be friends with Tom and Esther and as with all sad passings I wish I had made more effort to get together life has just got so in the way this year.

Tom you will always live on in my heart I’m proud to say this older guy looked up to the younger man.

God bless you my friend x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well said my friend. Everything I couldn’t sum up in the shock. Thanks for sharing. He really was one of the nicest guys you could meet. Seems to always happen to the good guys :(

Master
    Tom taught me the older guy so much about watch collecting and he was my go to man for watch straps, I pass his house nearly everyday so it was so handy I’d message him “Tom I have a vintage xyz with a lovely patina and I can’t match it up” Tom would say “let me gets the kids to bed and pop round”.

3 hours would often be the time to choose a strap, Tom would bring everything out he had a perfect eye for combinations. I am red green colour blind so he had the edge.

Now Tom never ever charged me for anything he even got a few watches serviced for me el gratis but this came at another cost as he was sunglasses mad he had a big thing for persol and vintage military and that was always my method of payment.
    Like myself he also had a thing for fountain pens, vintage BALLY goods, fine fragrances and getting finely drunk on Red wine and his favourite Spiced Rum and ginger beer.

But his greatest passion was his family, his job was so stressful but I never ever saw him bring this home, he always had a smile, witt, and a cheeky twinkle in his eye I feel so honoured to see his children grow up.

Tom was so young to be to be taken away from us at 46 as a community we have lost one of the most knowledgeable members on vintage omega his passion for the Omega F2.4 Mhz watches was incredible he even sold me 2 then brought them back lol.

Tom was never to scared to ask for information about watches he would often ask me about military watches, like myself if he had a military watch it had to have the correct strap his attention to detail was second to none.

The other thing Tom had was his class and strangely amazing perfect wrist would sell me a bloody watch everything looked amazing on Toms wrist!
    Tom would casually leave a watch on a shelf and it would look bloody amazing, I’m sure he had watch placement feng shui going on.

My wife and myself where so privileged to be friends with Tom and Esther and as with all sad passings I wish I had made more effort to get together life has just got so in the way this year.

Tom you will always live on in my heart I’m proud to say this older guy looked up to the younger man.

Such sad news but what a wonderful tribute...

Shocking! RIP
    Life can be very uncertain and this is a shocking reminder.

Master
    What a shock and sad, sad news. Thoughts with his family and friends. RIP Tom.

Such sad news. My thoughts are with his family.

Very sad news, far too young.

My condolences to his family and friends.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

That is really sad news, and may I offer my commiserations to all of Tom's family and friends. Thank you Baden for such a heartfelt tribute.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Hi

Tom was a personal friend and someone's company I truly enjoyed.

Incredibly driven , clever and with an eye for detail in everything he did....Tom was always destined to be something special.

He was of course a gentleman too !

I missed our f2fchats when he moved away for work and now realise we can never catchup again.

My heart goes out to Esther and the children.

Baden , your post was a very moving & fitting tribute and captured him perfectly - Thank you.

Tom RIP x

Best Neil
    Last edited by flame; 18th September 2023 at 15:00.

Absolutely shocking news, and so young.

A loss to the forum but of course a massive loss to his family.

RIP Tom.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    A real shock and I saw him before the lockdown. He was handling a few Omega for me.

Thanks for the wonderful tribute Baden.

RIP Tom and my condolences to your family and friends.

Oh what a shock. Bought a Ventura digital from him a few years ago. Terrible news and my condolences to his family.

A few WIS articles I found (one by Tom and one with a contribution by Tom) which might be of interest:

https://thewatchcollector.co.uk/blog...-history-books

https://www.ft.com/content/e8a4871f-...e-01f5661fb680

Master
    R.I.P Tom and condolences to family and friends.

- - - Updated - - -

R.I.P Tom and condolences to family and friends.

Master
    I didn't know Tom but it's sad to read this, seems he was well loved among many here, best thoughts and wishes to his family and friends here.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Awful news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family at this very sad time.

Very sad news and a lovely tribute Baden
    Dan

What an awful tragedy. I bought, and still own, two magnificent watches from Tom. Both are perfect examples of their type, as you’d expect from such an honest and thoroughly decent man. A dreadful shame.

I don’t think we ever conversed, but gosh, that’s absolutely no age. Heartbreaking. My condolences to all.

Regards

Foggy

Very sad news indeed - my sincere condolences to his friends and family.

Sanjay

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Way too young.

RIP
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Lovely and touching tribute.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I didn’t know Tom. That is no age. Just shocking news. Reaffirms that you should live each day as if it is your last. Condolences to his family. RIP Tom.

Baden - your tribute was very touching. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocking and so sad, 46 is no age.

Heartfelt sympathies to all his family and friends

Very sad news.
    3 years younger than me , no age at all.
    The two watches I bought from him and still have , will have a greater significance now.

Terrible news, thoughts to his wife, children and family.
    Lovely tribute Baden.

RIP Tom.

Oh No that is absolutely terrible news RIP You will always be a part of Our community

Craftsman
    I didn’t know Tom personally, but I am touched by the community’s warmth. Some very kind words.

Rest In Peace.

Grand Master
    Left way too soon, Condolences to all his family & friends.

R I P Tom.

Master
    Terrible news. That’s a lovely post Baden.

Rest in peace Tom and sincere condolences to family and friends.

Master
    Terrible news, I feel awful for his family and his children. Thank you for the touching post, Baden. RIP Tom.

RIP Tom.

Did numerous deals with Tom (vintage watches, of course) and he was a true gent.

A short article if anyone is interested: https://feweek.co.uk/tributes-paid-f...uty-principal/

Mark

Well said OP and Baden.

This is terrible news. So sad.

Journeyman
    May he rest in peace. May his friends and family find solace in the happpier memories during the darkness of the grief to come.

Having seen this thread, I realised I had purchased a vintage chronograph from Tom on eBay a few years ago. It developed a fault soon after and Tom was an absolute gentleman and went above and beyond to ensure the issue was resolved to my satisfaction.

It was clear to me from his communications that he was a thoroughly nice bloke. Being one year older than me, it is sobering to hear he passed tragically at such a young age.

RIP

My god, truly stunned.

I had known Tom for years, though we had drifted apart and I had not spoken to him for several years at least.

Tom, pretty much started his watch journey with me, it started with an email from a guy who had found an interesting quartz Omega, and could I help.
    That become a close friendship that saw us bring the Megaquartz and marine Chronometers back into the limelight. a geniune love of the electric and quartz of the 70s, and ownership of watches that I still wish I had.
    Many of which sourced by Tom, who, as anyone that knew him will know, had a knack of finding stuff!

I frequently visited him and Esther when they were in Southend, and few times when he they moved to Nottingham where were admired each others watches, swap them, talked crap, ate and drank.
    Normally coinciding with a trip to see Tony at STS, where we would offer him our latest 80/90s Omega Quartz finds for his personal collection, and maybe an oddity for the cases, he, in turn would service/restore something for us.

I remember the first time we met, I had driven down to Southend and met him in a carpark.....yes very dodgy I know.

I was looking for this well dressed gent, as I expect was he. I got a slighty studenty looking guy with a leather satchel and he got a skinhead driving a battered MK Golf GTI 1.8.....it was bromance at first sight.

Jez, Tom and Esther were the witnesses at my wedding!

Why couldn't I have just swallowed my pride and emailed him, especially as I was sifting threw our many exchanges not more than a week ago, looking for some reference to a deal we were trying to conclude involving a Beta21 IWC Devinci, a Omega Deepblue, and a 1968 Speedmaster.

RIP Tom, I am sorry I wasn't a better friend.

Better days, sandwiches and Cristal

Last edited by keitht; 19th September 2023 at 17:39.

Good grief horrible news, way too young as well. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Terrible news. Rest in Peace

I didn’t know Tom but nobody can fail to be moved by a family man dying at 46. Absolutely tragic and my heart goes out to his family and friends.

Simon

Very sad news. Included in my prayers.

Master
    Very sad news. Far too young. But if you’re going to go, falling of the cliff is the best way although awful for those left behind. RIP.

Terrible news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Truly shocking news - RIP Tom

Extremely sad news, just commented on omegaforums after seeing this posted over there. I didn't know Tom personally but communicated with him a fair bit on instagram over the years as we have very similar taste in watches(all be it his collection far far far away better than mine ever was, probably the finest collection of watches out there IMO). Always seemed a really nice gent and his posts were always interesting not to mention informative, he sure knew his stuff and always took the time to respond to comments.

Such a young age to go, and seemed to live such a happy life too, his wife and family must be devastated. My condolences to his family and friends. What a loss.

Sad news, very saddened to read this. Thoughts to Tom's family and friends.

Very sad news and thank you for the tributes to allow us all to be a bit closer to him and his family.

Journeyman
    Awfully sad news.

Sounds like a top bloke, who will be missed by all who knew him. Some touching words spoken about him.

Condolences; and Rest in Peace.

Master
    Very sad news, no age at all. RIP.

Wow, what a shock - I've only just seen this thread.

Tom's posts were always a great read, his Omega knowledge ran very deep and his collection was top drawer. As has been said 46 is no age at all, my condolences to those left behind. RIP Tom.