closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex servicing through Mappin & Webb

Rolex servicing through Mappin & Webb

Recently dropped off my Datejust and Seadweller for a service with Rolex through the new Mappin & Webb store in York.
    Had to make an appointment and the process took over an hour.
    They have a bar in store and I enjoyed a couple of drams of Laphroaig quater cask while the paperwork was being completed.
    I think I have been fortunate in that both watches only need a routine service and Rolex have not flagged up any extras.
    They even recommended forgoing a polish on the Seadweller as the condition is so good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Recently dropped off my Datejust and Seadweller for a service with Rolex through the new Mappin & Webb store in York.
    Had to make an appointment and the process took over an hour.
    They have a bar in store and I enjoyed a couple of drams of Laphroaig quater cask while the paperwork was being completed.
    I think I have been fortunate in that both watches only need a routine service and Rolex have not flagged up any extras.
    They even recommended forgoing a polish on the Seadweller as the condition is so good.

That’s refreshing to hear as I’m hearing about all the topping up of what’s required in order for it to meet specifications.
    Although it’s who you get to look it over I would imagine .

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    That’s refreshing to hear as I’m hearing about all the topping up of what’s required in order for it to meet specifications.
    Although it’s who you get to look it over I would imagine .

Unfortunately its Rolex that have the say over what work is done. Its looked over by the agent at Mappin & Webb but then sent on to Rolex for full assessment and price estimate.

Nice wee touch on the bar / drams - maybe I'll combine my next service with a trip to York! Likewise, I've never had any additional repair comments (including my bought-new 2009 16600 SD which was my daily wearer for many years) - must be a lot of ham-fisted owners around.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 17th September 2023 at 12:32. Reason: Terrible grammar

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Unfortunately its Rolex that have the say over what work is done. Its looked over by the agent at Mappin & Webb but then sent on to Rolex for full assessment and price estimate.
    That’s what I meant regards the watchmaker/s looking over the watch ,a lot of the staff in the ADs are clueless especially with the older stuff .

Craftsman
    Sounds like a good first experience, I’ll look forward to the next trip that way on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    must be a lot of ham-fisted owners around.
    Maybe. Or maybe people who actually wear them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    must be a lot of ham-fisted owners around.

We have always received excellent customer service from Mappin & Webb in Chester. First class all round.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    On fire today, Chilli.

Blog Entries
    I am a bit puzzled why it took over an hour to hand over two watches to be sent to the manufacture? Am I missing something? (Please call me a cynic but I would have thought it would be a 15min job).

Rolex may add a lovely Bexley Edge to your case unless you specify no polishing - polishing is standard in a service.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 17th September 2023 at 20:39.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I am a bit puzzled why it took over an hour to hand over two watches to be sent to the manufacture? Am I missing something? (Please call me a cynic but I would have thought it would be a 15min job).

Rolex may add a lovely Bexley Edge to your case unless you specify no polishing - polishing is standard in a service.

I know, I thought I’d pop in and drop them off. I was a bit annoyed initially to be told I had to make an appointment.
    Went for a nice lunch and went back 2 hours later.
    I was somewhat mollified when they broke out the Laphroaig.
    There were several forms they had to fill in as I was getting 2 watches serviced.
    The Seadweller is in such good condition that I opted not to have it polished as I was worried about the chamfered case edges. It was definitely the right call as they called me the next day to confirm they can only do a standard case re finish and will not do a light polish.

Grand Master
    Can`t understand the aversion to getting cases refinished, the chamfer on the edge is the only way to get rid of the damage that the watches pick up. Folks buy a new watch, why would they not want to return it to as-new condition?

Craftsman
    Does the in-house guy check your watch on a timeographer while you're there?

I'm torn whether or not to take mine in as it's only a 2018 watch and is still running OK (116613LB). But I would like it refinished (I like new shiny things) and I would appreciate an opportunity to chat to them about a 124060.

Can't decide whether it's worth a trip over.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can`t understand the aversion to getting cases refinished, the chamfer on the edge is the only way to get rid of the damage that the watches pick up. Folks buy a new watch, why would they not want to return it to as-new condition?
    I'm with you on this one. I have watches that I wear when I know they're going to get scratched, and watches that I like to keep looking like I actually care about them. I always opt for a re-finish when any of my watches gets serviced.

I have a 30 year old Breitling that looks almost new (despite being hugely out of fashion now) because of this. All it means is I wear it very, very occasionally and thus it'll probably only need servicing/refinishing twice now before I die. So I know it's not going to wear away.

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Does the in-house guy check your watch on a timeographer while you're there?

I'm torn whether or not to take mine in as it's only a 2018 watch and is still running OK (116613LB). But I would like it refinished (I like new shiny things) and I would appreciate an opportunity to chat to them about a 124060.

Can't decide whether it's worth a trip over.

No, just a quick look over. Rolex then examine it when it arrives with them.