closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple Watch ultra 2 should I buy?

Apple Watch ultra 2 should I buy?

Usual thing, thinking about an Apple Watch and as with most things in life the top of the range model always seems the one to get, but what are people experience of the Apple Watch ultra? And how does it work cellular can I just add my personal mobile to it and leave the mobile at home?

Anyone had one and got thoughts?

Wondering if it would be cheaper to get the 1st Ultra and save some money, was there that much of an upgrade this year with Apple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Do you currently have an Apple Watch??

Master
    I have the Ultra v1

It’s fully cellular but you’ll need to check your mobile provider supports it (most do) then you add the watch to your account. In reality it’s assigned a virtual sim and your phone is linked to it (on Vodafone anyway) and costs a few £ per month

So out and about without your phone, calls and messages come through to the watch

Not enough changes to warrant me changing to v2, but overall I love it. I have Apple Pay, Apple Music etc on it and it’s prettt complete imo

Hardly take mine off

Craftsman
    I’ll second what @demonloop says, EE charge an extra £5 a month for the service.

I run the V1 ultra without the data and never felt like I needed it, it’s rare my phones not within distance.

I’ve had most versions of the Apple Watch through the years and the last Ultra is by far the best, most response and has the best battery life of any I’ve owned. The one thing of note though is its size, it’s certainly more noticeable than the standard version.

If you’ve not had an Apple Watch before I’d consider trying both on unless you already wear a bigger size manual watch, in which case you’ll be right

Master
    Just bought an S8, the price for the Ultra vs what I would use; diving, siren etc just wasn’t anything worthwhile for me.

Battery life is a plus, but I have my oura for sleep tracking etc, so watch was only meant to be for the gym. It has been on my wrist since it arrived & proper watches no longer. Damn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not had an Apple Watch before and looked at the ultra v1 which is £160 cheaper but it’s that feeling of buying the older version.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Not had an Apple Watch before and looked at the ultra v1 which is £160 cheaper but it’s that feeling of buying the older version.
    I doubt you or anyone else would notice.

I’d put a WTB on and see if anyone’s upgrading or getting one they don’t need. If you love the V1 then maybe upgrade in the near future. If it turns out it’s not for you it’s less likely you’ll drop a ton selling it on.

Master
    I have the v1 Ultra, really love it. I. had a series 3 before and didn't get on with it, but really happy with my Ultra, never wear anything else TBH.

Nothing in the v2 that would make me upgrade, in fact I expect to keep it quite a while before even considering that.

It's a big beast, but you soon get used to that.

It may be sacrilege to say on a watch forum but since getting the first Apple Watch, I’ve barely worn my normal watches. I’ve had the Series 0, 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7. I’ve still got the 0 and 2 in a drawer. I sold the 1 and 4 and use the 7 during the day and 5 at night. I wanted the Ultra when it came out but held off until the SIP was updated. I preordered immediately after the Apple keynote. I’m trading in my 5 and will keep the 7 for sleep/gardening. I can’t wait!

I don’t know If I will activate the mobile part yet. I have a really good deal with Three so will need to see what they offer next week.

Had an Ultra since it was launched - wear it pretty much consistently during the day.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I also use the watch daily, it’s a slippy slope especially when you start setting daily targets for steps/ calories.

It does make wearing a manual watch more of an occasion though I feel.

If you’ve not had an Apple Watch before you may decide it’s not for you. They are brilliant devices - frankly almost science fiction in their functionality - but I like a bit of control over my screen time, for example I stick my iPhone in a downstairs cupboard most evenings and like to have a few hours away from relentless scrolling and notifications etc. I had a couple of Apple Watches and each timed turned off the notifications after a few days - then after a few more days unpaired the Apple Watch and put it in a cupboard for a couple of years!
    Coincidentally my wife lost her very basic step counting band a couple of days ago, I spent a couple of hours this evening setting an Apple Watch up for her (one from the cupboard!) - after which she declared it was too complicated and she’d never use it - and I have to say it didn’t entice me to try another, just setting it up reminded me it’s just a mini iPhone you don’t need if you’ve got a proper iPhone in your pocket! Ymmv but I love a bit of tech, and the Apple Watch just irritates me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    If you’ve not had an Apple Watch before you may decide it’s not for you. They are brilliant devices - frankly almost science fiction in their functionality - but I like a bit of control over my screen time, for example I stick my iPhone in a downstairs cupboard most evenings and like to have a few hours away from relentless scrolling and notifications etc. I had a couple of Apple Watches and each timed turned off the notifications after a few days - then after a few more days unpaired the Apple Watch and put it in a cupboard for a couple of years!
    Coincidentally my wife lost her very basic step counting band a couple of days ago, I spent a couple of hours this evening setting an Apple Watch up for her (one from the cupboard!) - after which she declared it was too complicated and she’d never use it - and I have to say it didn’t entice me to try another, just setting it up reminded me it’s just a mini iPhone you don’t need if you’ve got a proper iPhone in your pocket! Ymmv but I love a bit of tech, and the Apple Watch just irritates me!
    My 10 year old daughter is dropping heavy hints about an Apple Watch for Christmas, but I must admit to being reluctant to give in!

I’ve never owned one, people I know who do seem to love them, but every ‘smart watch’ I’ve tried has ended up flipped. I love watches, I love tech, but the two things combined don’t seem to work for me.

She has a mini watch collection, likes them but rarely wears one, I’m sure the attraction for her with an Apple Watch is continual connection to social media, but not inclined to encourage that any further!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    My 10 year old daughter is dropping heavy hints about an Apple Watch for Christmas, but I must admit to being reluctant to give in!
    A lot of schools ban smart watches so that might be worth looking into.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    A lot of schools ban smart watches so that might be worth looking into.
    Good point, she’s still in primary, but phones are banned, so smart watches probably as well.

Craftsman
    Yeah my 14 year old wanted one but wasn’t allowed it at school so it was soon traded on.

The Ultra models are huge. If I was taking the dive into Apple watches (and I have considered it), I'd go for a standard Series 9.

I wear an Apple Watch ultra for exercising. It’s got some great features for that purpose, and the extended battery vs the rest of the range is a requirement when wanting to do a 3hr+ ride.

The diving features are also pretty cool and make it a decent holiday Watch.

All that said, I cannot wait to get it off my wrist when I’m done with exercise. As soon as I can, a “normal” watch goes on.

To me, it’s big, bulky and unattractive. It just serves a purpose - the V1 will achieve that as good as the V2.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    I wear an Apple Watch ultra for exercising. It’s got some great features for that purpose, and the extended battery vs the rest of the range is a requirement when wanting to do a 3hr+ ride.

The diving features are also pretty cool and make it a decent holiday Watch.

All that said, I cannot wait to get it off my wrist when I’m done with exercise. As soon as I can, a “normal” watch goes on.

To me, it’s big, bulky and unattractive. It just serves a purpose - the V1 will achieve that as good as the V2.

What features is it using that a standard one won’t last 3hrs on a ride? My normal one lasts fine on 4hr walks with gps etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    What features is it using that a standard one won’t last 3hrs on a ride? My normal one lasts fine on 4hr walks with gps etc.

“3hrs+” i.e. an entire day in the saddle.

Tracking, Spotify, Podcasts - my experience with a series 6 was that it died halfway in.

Craftsman
    With the standard models I had to charge those daily. It would always have enough to start the second day but it would never make it to the end. The ultra lasts me for 2 days without any drama at all, that’s with a good gym session and quite a bit of daily activity but never worn overnight.

Blog Entries
    I have had the Ultra for almost a month now as I could not refuse the JL offer of £170 off! Yes, it is big but it is surprising how quickly you get used to it and it no longer feels big. Upgrading from a 4, it has more gizmo’s than you can shake a stick at and the build quality and battery life are superb and I also love being able to swipe across the screen to change (personally customised) watch faces. A bonus is that SWMBO, who loves her Cartier watch and having never shown the slightest interest in a Apple Watch, decided she wanted my 4 and she really likes it! We both have taken the EE ‘fiver a month’ phone thingy so happy days! I would not consider the Ultra2, nothing extra there that attracts me.

Master
    I’ve had the 1st gen ultra for a few months now and really like it. Battery life was always a pain with older models but 3 days between charges isn’t uncommon.
    I’ve updated mine to watchOS 10 and have the new Ultra face to play with.
    There’s really nothing on the 2 to that would make me rush out to change.

How does the diving software work? Subscription job?

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion View Post

What do you mean by diving software? I just submerge mine and it switches to dive computer.

Master
    I have a 6 which I wear daily these days. Been waiting for a moment to upgrade when I see some new features which are necessary. Personally haven't seen that yet.
    Really was hoping the new Ultra would add some new features and make me need it. But cannot see much difference vs. Ultra 1 and that didn't have much that I needed. I have no issues with battery life and the features and usability of the standard watch are pretty good, even mine which is now I think three years old.
    To OP: Try both on and study th features. I tend to find (unless you are a long distance exercise person) the battery life shouldn't be an issue. You will find a spot in your day to charge and they charge quickly. I wear mine day and night with no issues.

Master

I’ve used it on a few dives and it was good, easy to use, etc. I used the basic version as the deco planning was expensive given I already dive with two computers ( running a sunnto deco model ) and I didn’t want to mix and match the oceanic deco model.

“The basic plan is free, and includes many common dive functions, including depth and time, as well as logging most recent dives.

For access to decompression tracking, tissue loading, the location planner, and an unlimited logbook capacity, Oceanic+ is $9.99 (US) per month, or annually for $79.99 (US). Family Sharing is also available for $129 (US) annually, allowing access for up to five people”.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 17th September 2023 at 09:44.

You wouldn’t buy one if you already have an ultra the differences are marginal, but this is apple

Master
    I had a series 6 that i wore for sports and if I went camping etc and enjoyed it but the battery life frustrated me and so I took advantage of the recent reduction to £649 on the ultra and upgraded my thinking was the 2 didn’t have enough extra features to wait.

I’ve had it a little under a month and with the battery lasting for up to 3 days at a time I wear it way more than I used too.

I have the cellular add on with EE for £5 a month as it’s a handy feature to have if I’m without my phone although it’s rare that’s the case

I’ve just put a new strap on to mine today and like the fact you can switch the look easily as well

Craftsman
    If you’ve got a little OCD like me the ultras flat face also make it so much easier to fit a screen protector

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walts View Post
    If you’ve got a little OCD like me the ultras flat face also make it so much easier to fit a screen protector
    The ultra does have a sapphire

I have been through 2-3 Apple Watches before my Ultra 1 arrived and my only criticism was lack of battery life. The ultra solves that problem and my mechanical watches never seem to get a look in these days. Very very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    I’ve just put a new strap on to mine today and like the fact you can switch the look easily as well

I normally put the loop of the sport loop at the top of the watch. I think it looks better.

Craftsman
    Mine tends to live on a sports band, with a screen protector and bumper guard for gym and work purposes.

Surely we’ve convinced the OP to buy a series 1 ultra by now.

The thread has been very convincing! I now need to sell my Apple Watch 4 in 44mm to help balance the books ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Walts View Post
    Mine tends to live on a sports band, with a screen protector and bumper guard for gym and work purposes.

Surely we’ve convinced the OP to buy a series 1 ultra by now.

Have nearly everything it’s possible to have from apple but can’t get myself into the watch.

If battery life is a concern and you want to track health/fitness/steps/sleep Garmin the default answer.

Notifications, emails, and being able to reply to messages and it’s back to an Apple Watch.

Well I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying an Apple watch but now I really don’t know which model 😂 think it’ll be a trip to a store to try some on, many thanks for all the replies.

I guess the next thread will be “which strap?” 😂😂

Thanks all.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The thread has been very convincing! I now need to sell my Apple Watch 4 in 44mm to help balance the books ;)
    The sellers page here or EBay on an 80% discount day would be my recommendation. Facebook local use to be good for things like this but there’s so many postage scams now it’s just not worth the hassle.

My Ultra 2 arrived this afternoon. I ordered it with the S/M Trail Loop which was supposed to fit my 6.75” wrist. Once I got it over my hand it fit OK but was a struggle to get over so I tried to initiate an exchange by phone. I couldn’t fight my way through the automated menu to speak to someone so went to the Apple Store 15 minutes away to see if they could help. I spoke with the person controlling the queue who took me inside. I explained the problem and the watch was exchanged for a complete replacement with the M/L Trail Loop. It was much faster than fighting the phone system. My new watch is updating at the moment.

I also got an orange Ocean strap which is fantastic. I’ll share some photos tomorrow. Next decision is whether to pay the £7 per month to activate phone service via 3 (I currently pay £8 per month to them for 30GB of data plus unlimited calls; a good deal).

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Have nearly everything it’s possible to have from apple but can’t get myself into the watch.

If battery life is a concern and you want to track health/fitness/steps/sleep Garmin the default answer.

Notifications, emails, and being able to reply to messages and it’s back to an Apple Watch.
    I usually get 48 hours out of mine.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I usually get 48 hours out of mine.
    Even if I record an activity such as walking the hound, mine is generally well over 24 hours so you can do stuff, wear it while you sleep and at some point the next day charge it (I usually do mine while catching up with the news/doing the crossword at lunchtime).

For the last 2 years I’ve worn my Series 7 during the day and Series 5 at night on my right wrist as a sleep tracker. That way I have my left wrist a breather.

I have unpaired my 5 for trade in and have demoted my 7 to sleep tracking and gardening duties. My Ultra 2 will be my main watch.

First impressions are very good. It is larger and heavier but feels like a beautifully made wristwatch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    For the last 2 years I’ve worn my Series 7 during the day and Series 5 at night on my right wrist as a sleep tracker. That way I have my left wrist a breather.

I have unpaired my 5 for trade in and have demoted my 7 to sleep tracking and gardening duties. My Ultra 2 will be my main watch.

First impressions are very good. It is larger and heavier but feels like a beautifully made wristwatch.
    I have to agree that the ultra feels like a big improvement in terms of quality/ fit and finish over the standard model.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I’ve used it on a few dives and it was good, easy to use, etc. I used the basic version as the deco planning was expensive given I already dive with two computers ( running a sunnto deco model ) and I didn’t want to mix and match the oceanic deco model.

“The basic plan is free, and includes many common dive functions, including depth and time, as well as logging most recent dives.

For access to decompression tracking, tissue loading, the location planner, and an unlimited logbook capacity, Oceanic+ is $9.99 (US) per month, or annually for $79.99 (US). Family Sharing is also available for $129 (US) annually, allowing access for up to five people”.
    Thanks for that... Yes I don't see the logic in trying to offer subscription service for features that you need in order to dive safely.

But hey, maybe that's the business model moving forward eg BMW charging annual subscription fee for heated seats, for example.

Consumers need to be careful, moving forward, and not support products that offer some sort of subscription options.

Master
    Thanks for that... Yes I don't see the logic in trying to offer subscription service for features that you need in order to dive safely.

But hey, maybe that's the business model moving forward eg BMW charging annual subscription fee for heated seats, for example.

Consumers need to be careful, moving forward, and not support products that offer some sort of subscription options.

My car is offered with subscription services in other markets. I was clear with BMW it was a walk away issue asking me to subscribe for hardware. I do have a subscription for speed cameras but this £20 a year and this is maintained, but the massage seats, etc are not subscription ( at least not on mine).

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I’m in London next week for work so plan to pop in the Apple Store and buy an Ultra 2, I’m guessing they are just a stock item and not a waiting list?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, I’m in London next week for work so plan to pop in the Apple Store and buy an Ultra 2, I’m guessing they are just a stock item and not a waiting list?
    I haven’t seen the hype on the watch the phone seems to be getting so you should just be able to walk in and get one. I’ve seen a few people now suggesting the new phones going for overs, or certainly listed for overs, on eBay.

You can order online for collection at a store. You can also check stock using the online store.