closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex OP 1500 Question

Rolex OP 1500 Question

Hi all. I went to look at a 1972 Oyster Perpetual 1500 this morning. I liked the watch even more than I expected to and I'm seriously considering buying it. I thought it might be a bit too small at 34mm but it actually looks and feels just right.

My question is regarding the oyster bracelet. I've looked at some other examples online and in most cases the bracelet links appear to be solid like a modern bracelet, or in some cases riveted, but this one has compressed folded links, would that be correct?

The clasp looked genuine and the same as all the other examples I've seen online, it's just the links that don't. Could it be that it was riveted but the plates on the sides have been taken off?

Grateful for any advice.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    Hi all. I went to look at a 1972 Oyster Perpetual 1500 this morning. I liked the watch even more than I expected to and I'm seriously considering buying it. I thought it might be a bit too small at 34mm but it actually looks and feels just right.

My question is regarding the oyster bracelet. I've looked at some other examples online and in most cases the bracelet links appear to be solid like a modern bracelet, or in some cases riveted, but this one has compressed folded links, would that be correct?

The clasp looked genuine and the same as all the other examples I've seen online, it's just the links that don't. Could it be that it was riveted but the plates on the sides have been taken off?

Grateful for any advice.

Folded link could well be correct, rather than the riveted link. Indeed, the former is probably a sturdier design and I am not a fan of the rivet. Can usually pick up a "solid" 78350 later if you want to.

There is no quick-set date change facility on the 1570/1575 calibre in the 1500, which can be a pain. Dials etc also much harder to come by.

The 15000 introduced the 3035 calibre with first version of the quickset and in my opinion is more useable for having it.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 16th September 2023 at 15:47.

Cheers HM!

Master
    I had a ‘78 that I sold on here some time ago. It was a lovely thing and the 34mm sizing, whilst diminutive, never once felt too small.

Agree with HM, the non-quick set was an irritation as I didn’t wear it daily. Mine had the later 78350 Oyster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Here is my 1500 (mid 60s) If that helps ref. bracelet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    That’s a 78350 and the latest available for this model.