closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stupid question - using potatoe water to cook rice

Stupid question - using potatoe water to cook rice

Prepping a couple of curries for tonight and I've just parboiled some potatoes with turmeric.
    Used a couple of ladles to make some noodles for lunch and it got me thinking, could I save the water for the rice later on?
    I do this with gravies and soups and thought it could add a bit of extra flavour to the rice.
    I realise potatoes and rice are both starchy though so I don't want to end up with a big stodgy lump of rice.
    Any thoughts? Nice problem to have on a lazy Saturday

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Fresh water. Wash your rice a few times until the water runs clear. I prefer to add excess water as I hate starchy rice.

I always use good quality basmati for most purposes, except risotto.

Potato water will just add more starch to the rice, when you really want as little starch as possible.

That's all I needed to hear. I'll stick to fresh water.
    Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

British people can't cook rice, we love to complicate something that's hilariously easy.

One and a half cups of water to one cup of rice.

Simmer gently on a low heat in a pan with a tight-fitting lid for the allotted time (which varies: white basmati 15mins, white long grain 20mins, brown basmati 30mins, &c &c).

Remove from the heat and leave to stand for a few mins.

Fluff-up gently and serve immediately.

All this rinsing before and after cooking is a sure sign of incompetent cheffing and makes sure your rice is bland and tasteless!

I can't see anything against re-using spudwater, so long as you skim off any scum and avoid adding any random lumps, but equally I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would want spud-flavoured rice! If you're not using rice that tastes good in and of itself, then you're using the wrong rice.

To boost the nuttiness of the rice, I sometimes dry-fry it a bit before adding water - if you try this, stir constantly, and turn the heat off and add hot not cold water, as the process can border on explosive if you're careless...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Always was your rice and soak for 10 mins in cold water before cooking. My old mom taught me to do perfect rice Basmati of course.

Master
    My daughter wanted a rice cooker as part of her Christmas presents one year so we obliged, it stayed in the cupboard for over a year, now it gets used at least twice a week.
    My son wanted one when he went back to uni so we obliged.
    Perfect rice every time.

Craftsman
    I've read somewhere that rice has to be soaked and washed to remove arsenic, as it's often grown where there are large amounts in the ground water.

Sent from my SM-M336B using Tapatalk

Interesting about the arsenic. I eat rice most days (mainly brown), rice cooker again, never washed or soaked.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 16th September 2023 at 17:08.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Interesting about the arsenic. I eat rice most days (mainly brown), rice cooker again, never washed or soaked.
    There’s a lot more in brown rice as it accumulates in the outer layers…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    British people can't cook rice, we love to complicate something that's hilariously easy.

One and a half cups of water to one cup of rice.

Simmer gently on a low heat in a pan with a tight-fitting lid for the allotted time (which varies: white basmati 15mins, white long grain 20mins, brown basmati 30mins, &c &c).

Remove from the heat and leave to stand for a few mins.

Fluff-up gently and serve immediately.

All this rinsing before and after cooking is a sure sign of incompetent cheffing and makes sure your rice is bland and tasteless!

I can't see anything against re-using spudwater, so long as you skim off any scum and avoid adding any random lumps, but equally I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would want spud-flavoured rice! If you're not using rice that tastes good in and of itself, then you're using the wrong rice.

To boost the nuttiness of the rice, I sometimes dry-fry it a bit before adding water - if you try this, stir constantly, and turn the heat off and add hot not cold water, as the process can border on explosive if you're careless...
    Slight variance to yourself, but yes agree completely with you.

My view is if you’re adding a load of water and having to strain it afterwards, you’re old-school British and can’t cook rice for shite! Still cooking it like your mum / gran did it back in the day!

Basmati 1 cup, water 1.5 cups (or weigh to same ratio). Bring to boil on a high heat, then lid on and low heat for 12mins. Remove from heat, do it remove the lid and let it stand for 10mins. Jasmine rice timings are the same but 1.25 cup of water instead.

Fluff and serve. Absorption method works every time, follow the way nations who eat lots of rice cook it, and stop destroying rice with too much water.

Spud water, I’d ditch it and start again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get the best flavour and consistency cooking rice in a heavy enamelled cast iron pot with a lid, in a slow oven. Perfectly fluffy. I wouldn’t be adding extra starch though.

There’s a Chinese takeaway cook book by a YouTuber, it has a real cult following, there is a page on how to cook rice, it starts by saying no honest Chinese person boils rice in a pan, buy a rice cooker. Then it runs through a few steps to boil rice, it’s written with a great sense of humour I think the 4th step is “did we say the best way to cook rice is with a rice cooker”. It then goes in to tell you how to cook “next day rice” it’s basically the same but you put the cooked rice in the fridge over night.

Really good book but all the measures are for a take away so you need to decide it all by 10, or freeze loads.

It’s a great book, Ziangs, chin and choos Chinese take away cook bible.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a Korean 'Cuckoo' rice cooker a few years ago and depending on the setting and water ratio the same rice tastes and feels completely different. I agree that they take the guesswork and any effort at all out of rice cooking.

Stupid question - using potatoe water to cook rice

I know the op has his answer, and there is a lot of guidance around using minimal (1.5 cups) amount of water.

But, having experimented with little and more water, I prefer the latter. Just too starchy for me otherwise. More water in my experience gives the fluffiest of rice. Washing the rice is also absolutely essential.

This also is aligned with the Dishoom Indian cook book which effectively recommends the same, and makes for the perfect biryani.

Journeyman
    I always boil and use too much water.. so any recommendations for a value for money rice cooker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    I always boil and use too much water.. so any recommendations for a value for money rice cooker?

Have you thought about using less water? A rice cooker does exactly the same as a stove top pan.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I know the op has his answer, and there is a lot of guidance around using minimal (1.5 cups) amount of water.

But, having experimented with little and more water, I prefer the latter. Just too starchy for me otherwise. More water in my experience gives the fluffiest of rice. Washing the rice is also absolutely essential.

This also is aligned with the Dishoom Indian cook book which effectively recommends the same, and makes for the perfect biryani.
    For biryani, yes. It requires a different texture, which rinsing helps with.

Naved gives fantastic coaching & advice F2F when you ask & are engaged with the food / staff.

My base sauce has improved leaps and bounds with little tweaks.

I normally use Thai fragrant rice. Wash it first, then put it in a rice cooker...From what I recall! The first rice cooker I ever bought, said to cover the rice with water, the amount of being one digit/joint? of your finger?! Been doing that more or less ever since and all has been good!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    I normally use Thai fragrant rice. Wash it first, then put it in a rice cooker...From what I recall! The first rice cooker I ever bought, said to cover the rice with water, the amount of being one digit/joint? of your finger?! Been doing that more or less ever since and all has been good!
    Yes, read that many times, love the simplicity bit not digit conformity lol

Craftsman
    This is the rice cooker we have. Wife is Thai and we have been through many rice cookers. This one is used daily and is about 3 years old now. Cooks Thai fragrant rice, Thai sticky rice, basmati etc etc.

https://yum-asia.com/uk/product/bamb...c-rice-cooker/

Regards

V

Master
    I’ve got a Wonderbag, and use it to cook rice frequently.

It’s just a variation on the 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup of rice though, but a 5 minute boil then 45mins to 1 hr in the bag seems to produce some lovely rice.

Seems that there are many variations on rice cooking though! It’s pretty hard to end up with something uneatable, to be fair.

No one mentioned the microwave rice bags yet.

For an instant meal, they’re simple and quick, but I’m sure they must be bad for you in one way or another? Google says they can contain less minerals and nutrients and have less flavour but I can’t find anything negative or bad about them.

Take your leftover stew. Add 70g jasmine rice. Add 250ml boiling water. Pop the lid on, and wander off somewhere. When it's ready, it'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post

Have a read of this review...link, starting with How to choose the best rice cooker towards the end of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I didn't know that arsenic in rice could be a problem. Looking on the net leaves me with the impression that "if you eat rice in moderation as a part of a varied diet, you should be totally fine." Only "if rice happens to be a large part of your diet" need it be a consideration:

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

For an instant meal, they’re simple and quick, but I’m sure they must be bad for you in one way or another? Google says they can contain less minerals and nutrients and have less flavour but I can’t find anything negative or bad about them.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/-miQwaPt3...E5z68QWHV9w-BI

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

I'm with you on that. The rice is already cooked and so all you have to do is heat it up in the microwave or a wok/frying pan. You can even eat it cold, should you wish to. Their simple convenience is all that is stopping me from buying a rice cooker for the single portion that I need. It may not be gourmet rice but it's good enough for me.

I think that mr noble was referring to the pouches of pre-cooked rice that take ninety seconds to heat in a microwave.
    Last edited by PickleB; 17th September 2023 at 11:50.

https://www.tilda.com/products/range/steamed-rice/

Have tried a lot of them, they’re all very good.

Packed of sliced chicken breast and a bag of rice = 90 second meal. Lolz.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    There’s a lot more in brown rice as it accumulates in the outer layers…
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I didn't know that arsenic in rice could be a problem. Looking on the net leaves me with the impression that "if you eat rice in moderation as a part of a varied diet, you should be totally fine." Only "if rice happens to be a large part of your diet" need it be a consideration:

Thanks for the above. I'll introduce more white basmati and also rinse at outset (reported benefits of the latter seem inconsistent, but no harm in doing so) - this week has been pasta (so it seems I do have some variety, despite my claims). White will also save me a fair amount of time and energy (brown rice is up there with nuclear fusion).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Have a read of this review...link, starting with How to choose the best rice cooker towards the end of the page.
    Thanks PickleB and vertex for the recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    I've read somewhere that rice has to be soaked and washed to remove arsenic, as it's often grown where there are large amounts in the ground water.

Sent from my SM-M336B using Tapatalk
    Buy better rice.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Journeyman
    So.. what happened.. looking at rice cookers foe a few mins… ten mins later the Ninja Foodi is now on my google search… arghhh

The only way to cook rice is the Iranian method.

Top quality basmati rinsed and soaked, boiled in plenty of salted water. When the rice is al dente, colander and add back to the pan with melted butter in the bottom of the pan. Leave to steam for 20 - 30 minutes with a tea towel around the lid.

This will give you the most flavourful rice with the added bonus of the “tadic” from the bottom of the pan which is crispy buttery rice.

I have never had rice come anywhere near it in terms of taste and texture. Good enough to eat on its own.

Ross