closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solo Stove - Bonfire

Solo Stove - Bonfire

Just had a birthday and was bought a Solo Stove bonfire fire pit and lit it for the first time on Saturday, an amazing thing, really easy to light, and was able to get a secondary burn that reduced smoke to basically nothing. Unfortunately it arrived with a dent in the side, the wife emailed today and a replacement is on its way already! They are well known for their customer service.

Does anyone else have one, I considering the pizza oven add-on for my ‘bonfire’, I like the idea of using it to cook as well as the fire pit element of it.

Master
    I've looked into buying one of these before. They look great and get good reviews. Still haven't got round to buying one, maybe my Xmas present.from the kids. Currently using an.old washing machine drum which I've added legs to. Gets a great burn but the smoke can be a pain, hence looking at these.

Got myself one for my birthday a while back, but with the washout of a summer am yet to light it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I've looked into buying one of these before. They look great and get good reviews. Still haven't got round to buying one, maybe my Xmas present.from the kids. Currently using an.old washing machine drum which I've added legs to. Gets a great burn but the smoke can be a pain, hence looking at these.
    I’ve seen a washing machine fire pit in use, apart from looking similar, that’s where the comparison ends. I didn’t get hardly any burning bits flying around, and hardly any smoke. On first go, very impressed…. Worth an upgrade!

Master
    We got one last Christmas, have only used it once as the summer has either been roasting or wet!

Great fires. Very happy with the lack of smoke. The tiny table one is a bit of a gimmick and you have to always feed it pellets or tiny kindling. Was free, and the plan was for other people’s kids to have marshmallows from it, that’s not happened either!

I was intending to try mine out last night using wood kitty litter as fuel, but unfortunately it rained instead…

Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the bonfire and it is good as the secondary burn makes it near smokeless once it is up to heat and it does get very hot and will burn though wood at a good rate. You will get some smoke when first lit and if you use wet wood.

The issue I find with it is that most of the heat goes straight up and less heat is radiated out like a normal fire pit so we have now got the heat deflector to try out when it isn’t raining.

Oh and the final thing is that everything from Solo Stove is blooming expensive even with their constant sales and offers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gshort67 View Post

Love it

Can’t fault your choice of watch or wine, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Are you implying his watch is crap?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Are you implying his watch is crap?
    Quite the opposite — so is the correct grammar “wine nor watch”? I wasn’t particularly successful at school I’m afraid

Master
    Quite the opposite — so is the correct grammar “wine nor watch”? I wasn’t particularly successful at school I’m afraid
    Am equally confused.

Both are lovely.

Thank you, I quite like both as well

Master
    Ive looked at theese and think they look great!!!

How portable are they and so they leave much ressidue as thinking of buying one for camping

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post

How portable are they and so they leave much ressidue as thinking of buying one for camping
    Hi Rob
    They are quite large but the one I bought comes with its own carry bag. Also there’s an ash pan at the bottom so it doesn’t leave any residue, all self contained. Really easy to light and hardly any smoke.

You can also get smaller table top stoves, but it seems (from the thriving communities on the net) that most campers take a bigger stove and cook over them. I’m not convinced by the table top ones looking at them, not sure what problem they solve, where as the bigger ones have a practical heating/cooking use.

Due to the heat they burn at, there doesn’t appear to be much residual, and what is left is easily cleaned being stainless steel…

There's a model a size down from the bonfire called the ranger, which would be more suited to taking out and about

Master
    Thanks for the feedback fellas - ill take a look only intend on using it as a fire as Ill stick to cooking on my weber go anywhere

Master
    Thanks for the feedback fellas - ill take a look only intend on using it as a fire as Ill stick to cooking on my weber go anywhere
    Friend uses his to cook paella over, comes out great! I have the stand for the fire so it doesn’t burn the grass, but not tested.

Will see if we need the defector in time.

Our other wood burner is a clay chimnea lined with chicken mesh from Bushman Burners. It weighs about 65kg and is so insulated you Jan hold the chimney on full pelt fuelling. It only pushes heat out the front and top though, so not great for larger groups.

Master
    Liking the look of the mesa to be honest for my needs - anyone used one>

Was able to burn the cat litter last night, was a lovely fire that lasted just over two hours from the bag of pellets. My daughter had been wanting to roast marshmallows since we had the stove, so it was an ideal opportunity - had tea outside with the fire going and roasted marsh mallows for pudding. Lovely evening!

Also, amazing support from Solo Stove, my original stove came with a dent in the side (no idea how it got through QC), my wife emailed to let them know, and even after using the dented one, I now have a second brand new as a replacement! Not sure I need to be a two fire boy!

I've got the Ranger with the carry bag - nice and portable yet big enough to kick out some serious heat.
    We throw it in the car for going camping - it's great for that.