closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a winter coat

Master

Recommend me a winter coat

Whilst we're having unseasonably warm right now, it won't be long before it gets cold and dark so I'm looking at getting a new winter coat. Specifically I need something to wear on Sunday mornings when I am stood on the touchline for 90 mins watching my young son at rugby training. They train in all weather, so I need something that will keep my both warm and dry whilst stood chatting to the other dads. I've got numerous Belstaffs (Trialmaster, Roadmaster, Panther etc both with and without the matching liners) but they neither keep me warm or dry in the worst of the winter weather so I was thinking of getting a waterproof parka. What do I need to look for though, e.g. down vs synthetic filling, Goretex vs other fabrics, etc.... Any recommendations?
    Currently on the list to consider are:
    - North Face McMurdo
    - Arcteryx Therme parka
    - Fjallraven Nuuk
    - Mammut Photics HS Thermo

The only brand I have ruled out is Canada Goose - a bit too flashy for my liking.

Any help appreciated!

Master
    I picked up one of these last year to attend rugby matches. It’s very warm. One of the reasons I chose this was that it’s a little longer at the back, so the wind doesn’t get up your back.

https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/...ariationId=EK2

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve had a Harkila pro hunter for more years than I care to admit to,tec wash once a year and it’s good to go .

Journeyman
    My requirements were pretty much the same as yours.

I ended up with a Nuuk. Got it from Elis Brigham in the sale for £300 back in May. Was happy to spend a fair bit more, as you seem to be but couldn't say no at that price.

I'm yet to wear it outside but having tried it on, the quality seems excellent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I’ve had a Harkila pro hunter for more years than I care to admit to,tec wash once a year and it’s good to go .
    I hadn’t heard of them but their range looks quite good. Is the hunter pro insulated? The Harkila driven hunt HWS also looks quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    My requirements were pretty much the same as yours.

I ended up with a Nuuk. Got it from Elis Brigham in the sale for £300 back in May. Was happy to spend a fair bit more, as you seem to be but couldn't say no at that price.

I'm yet to wear it outside but having tried it on, the quality seems excellent.
    At that price it would be a no-brainer for me too!

Blog Entries
    My go-to for a cold day is a Woolrich Parka, comfortable and warm.

Master
    I've had the North Face McMurdo, had to sell it as it was way to warm for me. Great jacket, loads of pockets, very comfortable but it's warm....really warm!

I would get Arcteryx but a shell and then something like an Atom AR or Atom LT underneath.

I have a bunch of arcteryx jackets from the FL, LT, AR and gilets which go under my Arcteryx shell

I would keep a lookout on the outlet site they have the therms parka and SV https://outlet.arcteryx.com/gb/en/c/...ice-descending

I have two Jack Wolfskin parkas and they've always worked for me. Recycled materials, lightweight warm filling and waterproof.

Good selection here:

https://www.jack-wolfskin.co.uk/jack...fv6=waterproof

Got a jack wolfskin jasper (I think) for about £80 from their outlet and it feels impenetrable

Bought for the exact same reason you have

It didn't get cold enough to test it to its limits tbh

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I would get Arcteryx but a shell and then something like an Atom AR or Atom LT underneath.

I have a bunch of arcteryx jackets from the FL, LT, AR and gilets which go under my Arcteryx shell

I would keep a lookout on the outlet site they have the therms parka and SV https://outlet.arcteryx.com/gb/en/c/...ice-descending
    I do like arcteryx stuff, I have a Cerium hoody which is quite warm but no use in the rain. I didn’t even know they had an outlet site so will defo take a look there.

Craftsman
    Alpha Industries N3B Parker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

This. Shell wind waterproof and layers underneath it.

Better than a parka in my experience.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    Alpha Industries N3B Parker.
    They remind me of the parka I had as a young child in the late ‘70s!

Craftsman
    I bought a Woolrich for a trip to Norway last year. Superb coat, would definitely recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    …so I was thinking of getting a waterproof parka. What do I need to look for though, e.g. down vs synthetic filling, Goretex vs other fabrics, etc.... Any recommendations?
    I recommend the Uniqlo parka:

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product...at-459679.html

A fraction of the price of the branded alternatives (£160) but it will keep you just as warm and dry. And it is considerably lighter than my previous North Face McMurdo.

Master
    I have the Nuuk Parka and love it. Also have a Jack Wolfskin one but prefer the Nuuk.
    IMO far better than a shell and insulated layers (which I have too) particularly if you standing still for periods of time. Used mine in Iceland and at football matches. Love it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I recommend the Uniqlo parka:

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product...at-459679.html

A fraction of the price of the branded alternatives (£160) but it will keep you just as warm and dry. And it is considerably lighter than my previous North Face McMurdo.
    I like Uniqlo stuff but the OP said “waterproof” and that parka is only water resistant

Can’t praise my Fjallraven Greenland Coat enough when it comes to winter time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    To add; I can highly recommend the Helly Hansen Odin shell.

Without layers it’s an excellent raincoat in a warm spring or autumn day. With layers it’s fine to do some freezing walking.

Master
    Rab Valiance.

Down and waterproof.

For just hanging around in the cold and wet, there is no need for performance fabrics that breathe and so forth (Gore-Tex or other), as you are very unlikely to be working up the sweat that requires the breathability.
    So you can save a load by not needing to specify stuff like that.
    You want it long to cover more than your waist, and minimise how much of your trousers get wet.
    Pick a brand and look for outlet sales.
    This looks good from Craghoppers, for instance.
    A 3 in one jacket does offer you some flexibility too.

I got a really good long outer shell and down inner made by Under Armour last year, £120 from TK Maxx, down from £350. It has been excellent with and without its liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Can’t praise my Fjallraven Greenland Coat enough when it comes to winter time.

I've had one of these and they are not waterproof. They'll stand a light shower but anything heavy and it becomes a sodden, lumpen mess.

One of these and layer as necessary,...?

https://www.outdoors.ee/en/product/d...re-tex-jacket/

Have a look at Nobis, ex Canada goose VP heads them up I believe, same warmth but way less flashy. I picked up a yatesy at half price last year and it’s superb, warm and waterproof and without the fur quite subtle too

https://uk.nobis.com/collections/mens-parkas

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    One of these and layer as necessary,...?

https://www.outdoors.ee/en/product/d...re-tex-jacket/
    With a snugpak softie of some kind underneath.

My snugpak sasquatch is the warmest, cosiest coat I've ever owned and it's incredibly light. But it's not waterproof, although it does well in the rain.

I picked up a McMurdo in a sale for £150 about 12 years ago. In all that time i've only worn it 4 or 5 times, it's ridiculously warm, i've hardly ever felt cold enough to feel the need for it, as if i'm out and about in winter, i'm usually on the move and find my buffalo fleecy lined pertex top enough. That being said, it's a well made piece of kit and i'd say perfectly suited to standing still for a couple of hours in grim weather on a rugby pitch
    Assume the sizing is similar now to when i got mine, you'll definitely want to try one on, they come up huge, i'm an XXL in everything but it was a toss up between a L and XL in the McMurdo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    This. Shell wind waterproof and layers underneath it.

Better than a parka in my experience.
    I’ve an Atom SV that goes under my Alpha SV, it’s great, certainly an expensive overkill but works. For most dry but cold days I have a Nanok SF jacket, if it’s good enough for the Norwegian special forces in the artic a UK Sunday is a walk in the park.

Hello

PHD do some nice jackets and vests / gilets.

Craftsman
    OP, I've had the same McMurdo for at least 10 years and have used it for exactly the same purpose you want. It hardly shows any wear at all.
    The fact that you don't have to layer up is a pro in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I’ve an Atom SV that goes under my Alpha SV, it’s great, certainly an expensive overkill but works. For most dry but cold days I have a Nanok SF jacket, if it’s good enough for the Norwegian special forces in the artic a UK Sunday is a walk in the park.

Feel similar level of confidence about the Carinthia products.

Master
    I have a massive fettish for jackets, stone island, canada goose, acrytexx, moncler, ten c, belstaff, barbour, north fac, berghaus, snugpak all have a place for me - very difficult to ghet warm and waterproof

Some are style over substance - Id personally recommend a gore tex shell for downpours i like gore tex and layering up underneath so you have all bases covered i like a gillet under a shell personally for manouverability

warm bordering on too warm for this country IMO of course and ones ive got or owned are
    CG Expedition - way too hot in this country even with a t shirt on
    NF Mcmurdo early version - great value for money come up in sales from tiome to time
    SI Down jacket - I have a crinkle reps down and various shadow pieces with inners
    Ten-c Navy with removable inner versatile and smart and nice and toasty but not great in the wet
    Moncler Cluny - my go to winter jacket
    Moncler Hinterhux - wear this on the slopes mega warmth to weight ratio
    Belstaff arctic - very warm and hard wearing

Shell
    SI goretexx - I have a stealth and a gore tex pac lite
    Moncler Goretexx Villair
    Acrytexx had a couple of pieces very good

If Im walking the dog/camping

Berghause, rab, or snugpak
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 14th September 2023 at 14:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I've had one of these and they are not waterproof. They'll stand a light shower but anything heavy and it becomes a sodden, lumpen mess.
    A bit of wax keeps them very effective in wet weather.
    Last edited by Martylaa; 14th September 2023 at 14:33.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    For just hanging around in the cold and wet, there is no need for performance fabrics that breathe and so forth (Gore-Tex or other), as you are very unlikely to be working up the sweat that requires the breathability.
    So you can save a load by not needing to specify stuff like that.
    You want it long to cover more than your waist, and minimise how much of your trousers get wet.
    Pick a brand and look for outlet sales.
    This looks good from Craghoppers, for instance.
    A 3 in one jacket does offer you some flexibility too..
    I have this exact Craghoppers Haster 3-in-1 (in green) and it's brilliant. They call it level-2 warmth.. I use it for hiking/dog walks in bad/wet weather. I actually bought it to replace had the Craghoppers Pember (level-3) which was too warm for active wear, but for standing still for a footie game would be perfect. Good review here.

https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/cr...jacket-review/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    I have a massive fettish for jackets, stone island, canada goose, acrytexx, moncler, ten c, belstaff, barbour, north fac, berghaus, snugpak all have a place for me - very difficult to ghet warm and waterproof

Some are style over substance - Id personally recommend a gore tex shell for downpours i like gore tex and layering up underneath so you have all bases covered i like a gillet under a shell personally for manouverability

warm bordering on too warm for this country IMO of course and ones ive got or owned are
    CG Expedition - way too hot in this country even with a t shirt on
    NF Mcmurdo early version - great value for money come up in sales from tiome to time
    SI Down jacket - I have a crinkle reps down and various shadow pieces with inners
    Ten-c Navy with removable inner versatile and smart and nice and toasty but not great in the wet
    Moncler Cluny - my go to winter jacket
    Moncler Hinterhux - wear this on the slopes mega warmth to weight ratio
    Belstaff arctic - very warm and hard wearing

Shell
    SI goretexx - I have a stealth and a gore tex pac lite
    Moncler Goretexx Villair
    Acrytexx had a couple of pieces very good

If Im walking the dog/camping

Berghause, rab, or snugpak
    Rab Valiance is the mix for warmth and waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    A bit of wax keeps them very effective in wet weather.
    Not in my experience and with the kind of heavy downpours we get now.

I waxed mine every month hoping to make a difference, but as soon as it tipped down it would soak through again.

It was warm and looked great but more style over substance IMO.

Reminds me of the, which washing machine thread.

Do Miele make winter coats?

Gosh how quickly time goes by,... Doesn't seem like a year since..
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I've a down RL parka that is silly warm but like most similar products it's not 'downpour waterproof' so if I was reliving my touchline spectator days I'd suggest a long waterproof raincoat, layers underneath and waterproof walking trousers. If it was just very cold with limited rain then the RL would get an outing.

I’ve used a McMurdo for watching Scottish football in winter for past 3 years, also as emergency winter coat in car. It’s brilliant, you only need a polo or t shirt underneath, and its pockets are very well designed and laid out, particularly the Napoleon phone pocket near top of main zip. As others have said, size down, I’m a 48”/XXL normally, XL is fine. Oh and it’s downpour waterproof :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Gosh how quickly time goes by,... Doesn't seem like a year since..
    I searched for similar threads and they were all asking different questions e.g. what Goretex jacket to buy, and not something suitable for a mid-winter touchline when you are not active.

Anyway, thanks to all those who contributed, I think I will order a few of those suggested and see which fits best and feels up to the job. They had a Nobis Yves at 50% off in the Harrods sale so I ordered one of those and will probably get a McMurdo or Nuuk and an arcteryx shell to try too.

I'm a real Arcteryx fanboy and recommend any of their insulation and hardshell gear...Jottnar are also worth a look and make quality kit...and have a decent sale on now too....https://www.jottnar.com/

Craftsman
    I had a good experience with a Helly Hansen Barents jacket on sale at SportsPursuit. Very warm.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No need to lower your standards at the rugby, job done.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    No need to lower your standards at the rugby, job done.

I’ve a coat like that but it hasn’t seen the light of day for at least 25 years, just can’t part with it though.

Doesn't have the panache of some other makes but quality is good. Make a waterproof down parka.

https://www.landsend.co.uk/Men/Coats...Coats/ix-11371

Master
    How did people buy coats before the Internet was invented?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    How did people buy coats before the Internet was invented?
    Less informed?

Nothing compares 2 Nuuk, the parka formerly known as Yupik.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH