closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is it just me or is Watchfinder sitting on a load of stock?

Is it just me or is Watchfinder sitting on a load of stock?

I haven't been on their sites for a long long time but it looks like they have a load of watches, loads of the same models...

It’s not all Watchfinder stock anymore. They allow other dealers to pay to list their stock on the Watchfinder site, plus the site includes all stock held by Watchfinder worldwide.

I have been following a certain Daytona which gets listed, discounted, removed, relisted - rinse and repeat.

Was also looking on another site tonight and several long standing watches have appeared in their arrivals section.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    It’s not all Watchfinder stock anymore. They allow other dealers to pay to list their stock on the Watchfinder site, plus the site includes all stock held by Watchfinder worldwide.
    Ah that makes sense, was surprised how much they were advertising, but if its other dealers s well then no wonder their site is loaded with models of watches...

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I discovered this a couple of weeks ago while looking at one the items they are selling, then found the same watch being advertised on Chrono24 by another dealer.

There is some information on the Watchfinders site, saying that they have invited several reputable dealers to advertise on their site.

There is a filter option on the site which allows you to filter any stock that isn’t owned WF.

I have noticed for a while they remove and re-list many items, sometimes coming down in price and other times going up!

Very little is selling anywhere despite what many claim. I guess WF and a few of the others want people to believe stock is moving and it’s business as usual.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it's yes and no. The number of this party affiliates bumps the numbers but I think they are holding less stock in the b/c grade brands than before. As a Zenith and Grand Seiko fan I regularly check them and the stock number was normally around 50-60 of each but in the last 6 months its consistently halved.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

Very little is selling anywhere despite what many claim. I guess WF and a few of the others want people to believe stock is moving and it’s business as usual.
    What specific evidence of these claims do you have please?

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    What specific evidence of these claims do you have please?
    🥱

If you are that interested try doing your own research.

If you are that interested try doing your own research.
    So that’ll be none then! 🙄

Grand Master
    A current practise is showing previously sold watches as SOLD on first page of listing. This appears to make it look like demand is there and try to set a bar. Numerous in the trade do it along with multiple advertising of same watch with prices varying depending who is playing what game
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    A current practise is showing previously sold watches as SOLD on first page of listing. This appears to make it look like demand is there and try to set a bar. Numerous in the trade do it along with multiple advertising of same watch with prices varying depending who is playing what game
    Interestingly I was on GMG watches site as I’m after a SubC and noted that they have several all at different prices but same year condition. There’s no sense in it. A BNIB £1k less than a new one

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Interestingly I was on GMG watches site as I’m after a SubC and noted that they have several all at different prices but same year condition. There’s no sense in it. A BNIB £1k less than a new one
    Stock vs SOR (consignment) usually explains differing prices between identical models.

Stock you can price as you like, SOR customer sets the price they want returned and you add your margin on top. Some are still thinking that they can set 2022 prices and that their watch will sell. (it doesnt)
    Last edited by verv; 13th September 2023 at 13:39.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Stock vs SOR usually explains differing prices between identical models.

Stock you can price as you like, SOR customer sets the price they want returned and you add your margin on top. Some are still thinking that they can set 2022 prices and that their watch will sell. (it doesnt)
    Ah, that makes perfect sense thanks.

Craftsman
    I know WF have been buying in a lot of pieces since July.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    I know WF have been buying in a lot of pieces since July.
    How so?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    How so?
    He works for watchfinder!
    RIAC

He works for watchfinder!
    Seriously?

Wow, they've certainly increased their stock on Tag Monacos & Aquaracers in the last few weeks, guess I wont be trying again for a sell request.

Grand Master
    Look at what people think is ‘Hot’ or ‘Highly Desirable’ or ‘Hard to get’ !!

They don’t advertise all their stock but from the list they have

36+ Deepsea Blues
    13 Sprites
    25 batmans

We have a way to go on these perceived ‘investments’ but the remainder of the inventory is settling to pre Covid sense now
    RIAC

The stuff they’ve got behind the scenes (pre sale) is cheaper than what’s advertised on site

Also, a lot of the stock comes from 3rd parties now so there is duplication of stock across WF / C24 / eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Well, it’s always supply vs demand. 13 sprites available for 10 customers or 1000 customers makes a difference.

Look at what people think is ‘Hot’ or ‘Highly Desirable’ or ‘Hard to get’ !!

They don’t advertise all their stock but from the list they have

36+ Deepsea Blues
    13 Sprites
    25 batmans

We have a way to go on these perceived ‘investments’ but the remainder of the inventory is settling to pre Covid sense now

Grand Master
    Stock sitting there means something!

Only one Mint DJ! Not many white daytona but plenty black
    RIAC

They point blank refused to make an offer on various “hot” pieces I offered them over the last 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    They point blank refused to make an offer on various “hot” pieces I offered them over the last 6 months.
    Which is a clear sign they are carrying too much stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Which is a clear sign they are carrying too much stock.
    Absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I submitted a SS White Daytona as a test a few weeks ago (I don’t own one) and they refused to offer for that too.

Craftsman
    Their latest offer email in many cases listed prices that I would have considered a 'normal retail markup' versus WF's usually off the charts pricing too - I would definitely take that as an indicator.

I do hope it continues and there's less gouging in their business model. I don't think I have ever bought anything outright from them as a consequence (although I've sold a fair bit to them by being choosy about when I sell).
    Last edited by NickGaters; 21st September 2023 at 14:18.

Grand Master

Is it just me or is Watchfinder sitting on a load of stock?

I know a few who think they have a 150k collection thats truly worth £75k but they remain deluded as 'they have seen them for sale for more'

Not over yet

Even priced at 20% below a C24 valuation isnt going to sell it unless you have a keen buyer and thats for high demand stuff!!
    RIAC

I know a few who think they have a 150k collection thats truly worth £75k but they remain deluded as 'they have seen them for sale for more'

Not over yet

Even priced at 20% below a C24 valuation isnt going to sell it unless you have a keen buyer and thats for high demand stuff!!
    Back below retail again then soon for most models.

Grand Master
    Soon!!!
    RIAC

Journeyman
    Looks like it, more and more models seemingly easier to get from ADs now.

Reading this thread makes me glad that I just have a few watches I like, and not a timepiece investment portfolio

But I suppose for a lot of folk their collection went up in value on paper, then down in value on paper, and in real terms nothing has really happened. Just the folk who bought at inflated prices at the top of the market that need to be sweating really.

Must say I popped into a Tudor AD today for a look around, my first time in a long while and it was refreshing to just see all the interesting models right there and available. BB58 blue, Pelegos 39, Panda chrono, all just there to view/buy. Probably not new, but nice to see.
    Last edited by M1011; 22nd September 2023 at 04:16.